AUTHENTICATE This COACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Item :Beautiful Vibrant Red Leather Coach Shoulder Bag Purse 9033
Listing no : 130641814007
Seller : pinachedba
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-V...007?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item1e6adbe1f7
Comments: If I am reading this right, the plant code is x - wouldn't a bag made in the US have a plant code at the beginning of the alphabet?
thanks

Not always. There are a couple of letter codes from the tail end of the alphabet that I've seen in Coaches with US creeds. It's almost impossible to verify or to know the history of every plant code. "X" was also used for a Dominican Republic plant too so the X code is still a bit flaky when the bag is stamped from the US. Again, I don't know to what extent Coach re-used plant codes once a plant had been shut down or taken "off the Coach grid" since some of these plants probably didn't even belong to Coach, they may have just been lease or co-production deals with some local factory which was given a dormant or temporary code or whose code was re-used once the arrangement was over.

What's a much bigger problem is that Ergos were WIDELY faked. The official introduction of that Ergo line and that style number sequence (90xx) didn't happen until very early 1997 according to all my catalogs from that time. I've seen what may have been pre-production or Pilot Ergo style 9033's stamped for both April and September 1996, but this red one is dated January 1995 and that just doesn't seem possible. My gut says Fake on this one but there's really no valid proof except a serial number and month code that's 2 years before the official introduction of the style.

I know I wouldn't risk bidding on it.

Hi,
This is ending in just a few minutes..
Please help me to authentic. Thanks:smile:
Item :Coach Tan City
Listing no : 140689977217
Seller : laneyb6
Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140689977217&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
Comment : the strap looks shorter than usual.

The bag is real but the strap has definitely had new holes punched and was also shortened, you can see the whitish color of the natural leather right at the very end of the strap. A lot of older bags with extra-long shoulder straps have been changed like that, always check the strap carefully.

Hi Hyacinth,

here are the pictures you were looking for. Thank you so much! You are so helpful!

etsy.com/conversations/image?convo_id=71044049&image_id=15499196&image_type=full

etsy.com/conversations/image?convo_id=71044049&image_id=15499200&image_type=full

Unfortunately the links aren't working for me. But if there's no smaller slip pocket on top of the large slip pocket under the flap, it's not a Stewardess Bag. You can't always assume that a seller knows the correct name of what they're selling - or can read or type the serial number correctly.

I believe #2 is okay. I've attached a serial number from a bag I had (sorry for the blurriness). The plant on my bag is D also, though mine was made in a different month. Unfortunately, my creed is too blurry to see if the words are run-on, but from what I see, they do.

Thanks, BB, that's good to know. I've added it to my files.

Aha! Thanks. My apologies that it's been said before- I don't usually have to have items authenticated. I appreciate getting your opinion. Any idea what the style number and year of production was?

Cheers!
No, don't apologize. Coach's non-rules can be very confusing.

The style appears to be 8A13 and although I don't know the official style name, it's some type of soho leather swingpack:

Attachments

• 8a13 soho leather swingpack.jpg
    8a13 soho leather swingpack.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 190

The style appears to be 8A13 and although I don't know the official style name, it's some type of soho leather swingpack:

Fantastic. Well the leather definitely feels right. It feels just like my soho hobo. I'm very excited to have actually gotten an authentic bargain and not have to take it back! :biggrin:

Originally Posted by Schientist Aha! Thanks. My apologies that it's been said before- I don't usually have to have items authenticated. I appreciate getting your opinion. Any idea what the style number and year of production was?

Cheers!

"Soho Leather Swingpack" is exactly what Coach called it. Don't you miss the days when almost all their product names were almost disgustingly logical? :graucho:

The styles that used a number and letter combination with the letter between the numbers like "8A13" were all probably made in 2005, although many were released as 2006 model-year styles.

It looked a little misshapen in the photos. I have one 8A13. I used it for Disney. I also have the matching wristlet 1506. 8A13 was $136.74 (inc tax) when I bought it in Aug 06. Wristlet was $46.64.

I don't have the names written down because I didn't keep track of them. If I find them tomorrow I will let you know (I might have the tags in the bag).

The bag is real but the strap has definitely had new holes punched and was also shortened, you can see the whitish color of the natural leather right at the very end of the strap. A lot of older bags with extra-long shoulder straps have been changed like that, always check the strap carefully.
Thanks Hyacinth, I didn't bid because I was too late and also for confirming the shortened strap :smile:

Originally Posted by Schientist You people should totally get gold medals for being so helpful.

Or at least flowers and chocolates delivered daily to your front door.

Thanks bunches! :hbeat:

Originally Posted by Hyacinth Make it flowers, chocolates and George Clooney and you've got a deal! :biggrin:

I'll take the chocolates. There's not enough room in the house for DH AND George Clooney.

How about if we send both our DHs off on a fishing trip together and we share George Clooney? He looks like a nice strong lad with plenty of endurance! :giggles:

Status
Not open for further replies.