Attention Louis Vuitton Loyalists! Need your opinion!

Queen_Bee

Queen Bee
Dec 25, 2009
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hello members of tPf! I’m a college student who is studying sociology and writing a paper about LV’s strong performance during the current recession:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking time to respond!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Queen_Bee
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello members of tPf! I’m a college student who is studying sociology and writing a paper about LV’s strong performance during the current recession:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?[/FONT]
If people have money, they should buy what they want, as a french girl, i think it's good for the french economy!

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?[/FONT]
No
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?
Yes
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?

I love the brand, it's my favourite (and only) bag-brand, it's timeless and became slowly an obsession :smile:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?
In the "high society", yes, at work or in "normal" locations, i would say no. It's sometimes even not so good to carry lv because lots of people are envious and jalous.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?
I don't know, it depends on the LV politic.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?
No, because i give my contribution to the economy of my country.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please indicate your nationality (country of origin):
i'm french[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking time to respond!

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Queen_Bee
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You're welcome![/FONT]

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?
It's surprising & shows that even in hard times, there are loyal fans out there! LV is really an obssesion.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?
At first it did, but after I was on TPF, not really~

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?
Yes. I mean remember the shortage at the end of last year? It was crazy! I personally too was crazy about getting a particular bag & I'd check the website daily & call daily to see if it was in.

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?
They're gorgeous, they make a statement, they're high-quality, they're long-lasting

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?
I think it depends on the person. I think if it's a person who respects and appreciates fine luxury then yes, they'll look at me positively. However, I think for people who don't get us and why we love LV and brands in general for whatever reason(jealousy, no understanding, etc.) then they'll look at us negatively

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?
Never. LV made this happen from the late 1800s and now it's 2011. Unless the world ends, I don't ever think this brand will go out of style

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?
Yes. To be honest, I was criticized for my spending habits and I also felt bad because some people are going through hard times but at the same time, buying LV is for me not them. It makes me happy and a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?

I honestly don't care :smile:

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?

No; Louis Vuitton has been marketed in such a way that it is riding along ever-growing consumerist behaviour. I believe that the recession had little effect on the company's retail performance.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?

Yes.

Louis Vuitton stands for quality, rich heritage and luxury. However within my wardrobe, LV is not a priority - I purchase LV for both utility, durability and quality.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?

No.

No. However, I believe that it will soon lose its luxury status as it has been experiencing a decline in the house's creative qualities.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?

My country is not in a recession. And if it were, stimulation of an economy is vital to exit any recession.

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? Not really surprised. The trend has been to "trade up" in the United States. Back in 2003, before the recession, I enjoyed reading
Trading Up: The New American Luxury by Silverstein and Fiske, published in 2003. People will make sacrifices in order to free up money necessary for their chosen indulgences. I do.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? Not really, given this mentality, especially in the USA. A LV bag is the epitome of conspicuous consumption. For people who do not have an endless supply of cash, they can buy a nice dress at Marshalls, a pair of $50 shoes and carry an LV bag and feel like a celebrity. Many women often say that would rather buy a bag than premium designer shoes/clothes/etc.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? Yes

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? I buy LV because I like the product.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? Probably. I hope that it is positive if the bag accentuates the outfit. But I am sure there is some negative associations. The use of calf skin has garnered me some critical comments in the past. Moreover, I am just as guilty of negative and positive associations when I see others with LV.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not? Yes, I do but not think completely. I think that it will remain popular, but the hype will die down. Something "new" will come along. I have already had many friends ask why I still carry LV when it is "so over." I think that LV has hit the mainstream so hard that people who were on the front end of the trend are turning away. I think it will always remain popular for travel accessories.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession? Not really. LV would lose it's status if it reduced prices. LV did not cause the recession.

Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): USA

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? I was surprised to hear that LV sales went up. It seems like common sense that the sales of luxury goods would go down in a recession, but I think that the whole designer thing is so popular right now, that people want it no matter what.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? Yes

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? Yes, I had read about it on tpf.

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? I love them! I love to look at them, touch them, smell them etc..! It's fun, it's something to collect..I don't know, I've always been a handbag junkie, and I love the LV styles.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? Nope, I've discovered that most people don't care one bit one kind of purse you carry. lol

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not? No I don't ...LV styles change with the times, and I think that they will always be popular.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession? I'm lucky in that our business has not been hurt by the recession, so I'm ok with my spending. If we started to feel a financial pinch, the first thing to go would be the LV.

Because a recession does not hurt the top sector. Also people want to feel good in a recession like they are ok.
2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?No because of what I said.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?Yes

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? I like having a premeire luxury brand bag, I like the customer service and the quality. LV means luxury and class.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? NO I do not.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?No it has not in these many years.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession? NO I didnt

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? i was somewhat surprised that some consumers can still afford luxury. however, i'm also aware that some consumers are less affected of the recession than others.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? No

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? Yes

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? quality, style, functionality, tradition, personal satisfaction

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? For the last 4 years, I carried LV exclusively. People who know me personally haven't changed their perception of me. Although from work, I received varied comments.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not? I don't think the brand would go out of style. I noticed that LV constantly reinvents itself while maintaining some of it's classic designs

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession? Personally, I think my recent purchases weren't excessive (got an L and flamme artsy during the first quarter). Although my husband said he wouldn't pay that much for bags.

Please indicate your nationality (country of origin):

- I'm not surprised. I think LV has become mainstream (at least in Toronto) than it ever was in the past.

- Nope. See above.

- Yes

- Nope. There are many people who have LVs in my city, so there really isn't much of a reaction.

- I don't think so. The brand has been along for quite some time. I believe their classic pieces will always be in style.

- I think it's excessive but I still buy high end items anyway. I think of it as my way of helping the global economy :smile:

Thank you anncelyn, misshcouture, r15324, clu13, trumanfinn, Lv-nowwhat, chinbrat, jules8!

& Thank you in advance for those who will contribute their opinion. I really appreciate your time and help!

I am not surprised that people continue to buy.

No, because the recession may encourage people to buy less "stuff" but more quality, long lasting items since they value money differently in a recession.

Yes.

I buy LV because of the history and the products. I love the look, the weight, the quality and the fact that this brand has been around and valued for a long time.

Not really. Most people where I live probably do not know what LV is.

No. The brand has a lengthy history. While some styles are more "seasonal" and may go out of style, the classics will not. I try to limit purchases to more classic items that will always be in style.

No, because I only buy one to two items per year, and limit my collection to what I will really carry on a regular basis.

Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): United States

1. I think it's great. Not everyone will suffer during a recession, there are some who will continue to do well and others will thrive. Those who choose to spend their money are actually helping to stimulate the economy.
2. No.
3. Yes
4. Quality and beauty.
5. Yes but mostly while shopping. I get better attention at certain stores because of what I carry and how I'm dressed. I live in an affluent area so in everyday life, I don't think it matters.
6. No, but there will be periods where LV will be considered more stylish than others.
7. No. I've worked very hard to be in the position to be able to purchase what I like. As long as I'm not accruing debt and am saving money, I'm comfortable in my purchases.

American