Attention Louis Vuitton Loyalists! Need your opinion!

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm not surprised. Many people who buy LV are in "recession proof" situations.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LV means quality and fine workmanship, style and status, beauty AND durability![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Better. If you shop at NM, SAKS, Bergs - stores like that you get better service because they know you have their kind of money to spend.

However, if you carried it into some store like Payless you might get worse service - I would not know.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No, never. Because it's been "in style" for over 100 years. It's not a style, it's a committment to beauty and quality - two things people will never stop wanting. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No, if needed I can make sacrifices elsewhere[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): [/FONT]

US Citizen

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello members of tPf! I’m a college student who is studying sociology and writing a paper about LV’s strong performance during the current recession:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?[/FONT]
My household was not really hit by the recession so I'm assuming there are others in our same situation.

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?[/FONT]
Yes

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?[/FONT]
No

[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?[/FONT]
I buy LV as gifts for myself because I am finally at a point in my career and life where I can indulge a little. I have always seen LV as a classic and timeless addition to a woman's collection.

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? [/FONT]
I don't think I am treated differently, however a few people do stare because I live in an area where they are relatively rare.

[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?[/FONT]
Like I said in #4, it is a classic and timeless piece that will withstand the test of time. I hope to pass down my collection to my daughters.

[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?[/FONT]
I just recently started my collection but no I don't believe it was too excessive.

USA

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking time to respond! [/FONT]
You're welcome! :smile:

Thank you to ETenebris, iamsmilin, ParisLV and ashlc68! Your responses are all very helpful for my essay.
More responses is always appreciated. & Thank you to those who have sent me PMs!

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They not only buy LV, they buy other luxury brands, too, because, as ParisLV pointed out, most people who can afford luxury items as recession-proof.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes.[/FONT]

Love the durability; they are huge (or at least they offer a lot of styles in huge sizes); the classic styles are real classic in my opinion (Speedy, Alma, Noe); and the styles vary over time. Sometimes too fast I hardly have enough time to save up for a bag before they are discontinued!

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I never noticed. I hope not.

Right now I can't see LV going out of style.

Last year I came out of the LV shop on Chevy Chase with hubby and our 2 little ones. And 2 huge brown LV shopping bags. The traffic light turned red so all the cars stopped. My husband and I saw everyone looking and for a second I felt I was "flaunting" in a recession. But, you know what, I earned it, we paid for it in cash, and we don't have to scrimp on something else just because I bought these bags. We wouldn't have bought them in the first place if the shopping money was not extra money.

see below
[FONT=&quot]Hello members of tPf! I’m a college student who is studying sociology and writing a paper about LV’s strong performance during the current recession:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? the recession effects every household differently. some more than others. quite frankly when every one was getting hit last year, my household just felt the brunt this year. which means i cant make my daily marshalls run, maybe weekly though and an lv only twice this year[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? no, people will buy what they need, want, like- even if they go in debt for it[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? no[/FONT]

i like them. speciafically design and craftsmanship

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? i think people treat me the same b/c i give and demand respect equally. they do judge though. some think i shouldnt carry b/c it cost so much while others wonder how i can afford it[/FONT]

no, its been around for a while. as lonng as they continue the craft of the art and continue to have youthful designers, they will do well

[FONT=&quot]7. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?no[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): usa[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Queen_Bee[/FONT]

Hello members of tPf! I’m a college student who is studying sociology and writing a paper about LV’s strong performance during the current recession:

I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? My reaction is positive, I feel like people don't want to buy garbage with their hard earned money. They want to "invest" their money in ALL aspects, including fashion.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? No, it doesn't.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? yes

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? I buy LV because I admire the brand. What LV products mean to me is durability, stability and a long term investment. I look at other cheaper clothes, purses, accessories I have purchased and they are worth almost nothing. I appreciate the fact that LV doesn't sell mistakes and imperfect purses, it keeps resale strong and the demand strong. I appreciate that they own all their own stores and simply don't "put" their merchandise in stores to sell for them. It keeps customer service and quality up.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? Positively, I have been stereotyped as affluent and have perks thrown at me at retail counters.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not? Never, it hasn't yet and never will.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?
No. We all are given the same piece of pie and we slice it differently.
Please indicate your nationality (country of origin):
American.
Thank you for taking time to respond!

-Queen_Bee

[FONT=&quot]I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]

I think people were always buying LV but now the
marketing/advertising is better, drawing more people to LV. People will always be buying "brands" and LV is definitely one that people covet. People also tend to stay home in a recession - no big vacations, etc so a quick handbag purchase makes you feel like you've been on a vacation. (Although the price may be close to the cost of a vacation....)

Not really. Contrary to popular belief, women are the main purchasers in most households and they (we) all want luxury items and to pamper ourselves because we work hard.

Yes.

I buy LV because of the beauty and craftsmanship. I love that LV is classic and I also love to carry LV because not everyone is carrying them (at least certain styles).

[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? [/FONT]
I think it can go many ways. I've had people compliment me or make snide remarks. Most times people don't know what bag I'm carrying. They'll ask me if it's Coach.

I don't think LV will ever go out of style. The Speedy will always be popular and there will always be new bags/lines/colors coming out.

I think the price increase was excessive for some items, especially the wallets. I'm glad I bought one before the increase. I don't really feel too guilty for spending my money on LV since I have a job and pay my bills. If I wasn't working, I'd feel guilty.

[FONT=&quot]Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): American[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Queen_Bee[/FONT]

Hope this helps!!!

[FONT=&quot]Not surprising. LV made almost 4b euros last year, w Asians being their biggest customers. There are the rich/super rich who are not affected by the recession. Those who are affected, may or may not stop buying LVs. Sales drop from people who stop buying LVs may be offest by increasing LV prices even though less LVs are sold.[/FONT]

Yes but I made sense out of it, from the above reasoning.

Yes, my husband pointed out LV's earnings to show me that I'm helping them out.

Honestly, I'm trying to find out myself. I tried buying non-LV but it didn't give me the same joy.

Yes, either way, if they know the bag.

No because it's a classic and has a rich history. Maybe we're trying to be a part of that history.
OR it may if the new generation (Millenia babies) want to be anti-tradition, but I suspect there aren't going to be many of these.

Yes and No. Yes because I feel it's excessive even if we're not in recession. No because I do save.

[FONT=&quot]Asia :smile:[/FONT]

Can we read your thesis? :smile:

If you have the money and you are able to make the purchase without financially harming yourself then go for it. While I do believe that everyone has been effected in the economy in some way there are still people that have plenty to buy a handbag or two. There are also people, all around this forum for that matter, that have saved for a very long time for a bag so they should definitely go for it. They earned it!

I wouldn't say surprised but I didn't plan that they would do as well as they actually have.

Yes, the shortage effected me numerous times.

Louis Vuitton stands behind their products, I can spent $900 on a tote that I could have spent $40 on but my LV will literally last me forever because I can always have it repaired (usually for free). My family has always had Louis Vuitton and I grew up with it knowing it was a quality piece. Not to mention, it's timeless and iconic.

Of course, you'll never please everyone. I know that when I am shopping in certain stores I will more than likely be treated wonderfully and I do feel like sales associates feel like they can get you to buy anything they recommend. On the negative side, there will always be the people that can't justify spending what we do for an LV. My grandfather for instance always says he wouldn't do it himself but as long as I can afford it it doesn't concern him.

Never, it has already cycled generations. They have proven themselves.

The way that I look at it is, if you can comfortably make the purchase then do it. My home, cars, credit cards, everything - are paid, I carry no debt. I also donate to a few organizations and when there is a disaster (Haiti, Japan) I make a generous donation once, or more, to them as well.

American

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?

Not surprising. There has been even studies done that during a recession people usually buy less but when they buy they use their money more wisely and buy things that for example keep their value better.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?

No. It's not surprising.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?

Yes, I was aware of their success.

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you?

I buy LV because it makes me feel good. Carrying an LV makes me feel special. I also feel that it is kind of a hobby for me. Some people collect postmarks and I like to collect bags. Also because I cannot have pets (allergy) I feel that I try to complete my life with something which in my case means buying a lot of bags an accessories. If I'd be able to have a dog I think I wouldn't spend so much on LV and would spend the money on my dog.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?

It depends. In higher end stores I usually get treated better if I'm wearing my LV bags but my friends and other people don't often get my "bag addiction" and I get pretty rude comments sometimes. I also avoid carrying any of my LV's to a job interviews, to the University etc. People usually get the wrong impression and think that a person with an LV must be very materialistic which is not always (at least not in my case) the truth. People can own nice things and still care about other people and the environment. Like I said, I consider my bags to be more like a hobby to me than anything else.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not?

I think there's a same kind of phenomenon happening that happened with Burberry. More and more young people are buying especially the cheaper bags and accessories LV makes so the image of the brand is changing.. I don't see LV as luxurious as it was maybe 5-10 years ago, but I don't think it'll ever go out of style (because of their history and known quality). I think they will probably need to do the same as Chanel and raise their prices to keep their brand among other luxury brands (luxury = I think it means that not everyone can afford it).

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession?

Yes. I sometimes feel guilty because I use so much money only on one company. I also sometimes feel guilty because I think it would be good to have some bigger savings because you'll never know what's going to happen in life.

North European.

[FONT=&quot] I have a few questions I would like to ask. Please feel free to respond briefly or at length, whichever you prefer. Thank you for participating in my survey for my study pertaining to Louis Vuitton’s success. Your identity will be concealed of course when I discuss your responses in my study. If you wish, you can send your response to me via PM or respond to this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking time to respond!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Queen_Bee
[/FONT]

1. I am not very suprised beacuse people love luxury bags and if they have extra money they can buy LV bags.

2. No

3. No

4. I love LV bags. They are the best bags on market for me and I save for them. I do not buy another bags so I think I am saving money becuse I used to buy a lot of bags on monthly baisis that I did not use.

5. I do not really think about it but in my country they are looking at me negatively mostly because they think it is an unnecessary cost.

6. I do not think so. Maybe some of the bags but speedy, for example, is a classic.

7. I do not feel guilty about my recent purchase because it was my second LV bag and I was saving money for it so it was not an impulsive purchase.

I am Croatian (European).

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession?
I see people who buy LV in a recession are loyal customers to the brand.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession?
No it doesn't, they've built their core customers over the years and their consumers are getting younger as well

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession?
yes.

I buy LV because of the function and quality of their products.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)?
People respond positively with compliments but other are always doubtful of the authenticity of your purchase, so i tend to keep a copy of my receipts to show the non-believers lol

no never, longevity is key in any brand. Once your consumers know your brand is the best in providing good customer service, merchandise, you'll have loyal fans till the end. And LV doesnt go on sale so it keeps the brand exclusive in a way.

No, I buy my products based on function, meaning everyday its always being put to use. it never sit.

American

Im not the only one? good!

we had a recession- China was going bonkers

yes actually

can afford hermes hahha
status to some extent

yes- or maybe its the rolex on my hand?

never- things like the speedy are timeless and classic and they constantly keep things fresh with runways

my keepall revelation made me think that- then the price shot in the $8k range and i was glad i owned it

USA

1. What are your immediate reactions to finding out that people continue to buy or even buy more Louis Vuitton in a recession? I'm not surprised by this. There are people everywhere that will buy what they like regardless of how the economy is performing or whether or not they were affected by the recession; it depends what they want to spend their money on.

2. Does it surprise you to know that Louis Vuitton perform so strongly in a recession? No.

3. Prior to this survey, were you aware of LV’s strong performance in the recession? Somewhat.

4. Why do you buy LV? What do LV products mean to you? I buy LV because I appreciate the aesthetics, the quality, the durability and the timelessness of the designs.

5. Do you think people treat you better or look positively or negatively at you if you carry LV (in comparison to regular leather purse)? Don't know, don't care. I buy LV for myself, nobody else.

6. Do you think LV the brand, will go out of style? Why or why not? I don't think so. Even though more of the newer designs seem to be 'trendier', there will always be people that buy LV for whatever reason.

7. If you recently bought LV products, did you ever feel that it was too excessive given that we are in a recession? Not in a recession. If we were, and I had saved the money for LV, I would not feel it was excessive.

Please indicate your nationality (country of origin): Australian.