Attention Drawn by Kelly and Birkin

Im in my late 30s and i love barenia. I dont understand why they rarely use this leather anymore in bags/slgs—- it is the quintessential equestrian leather that develops a nice patina over time.
My SAs, you and I belong in a rare minority as many others outnumber us. SMs have told me that many customers cannot accept how Barenia scratches and patinas as it ages. It creates huge problems for aftersales service. It has also become harder to produce smooth Barenia in the perfect blemish-free quality Hermes demands. This is why Barenia Faubourg has been recently developed to address these issues.

The attention drawn by my Kelly wasn't from stranger but my friends. When they saw my 1st Kelly, I could feel that they were thinking like "Are you crazy buying this expensive bag?". Then when they saw another K of mine, they were like "What! Another one...."
To avoid this kind of attention from friends I've decided to limit 2 Ks to be seen by my friends, other Ks to be used when I go out by myself. It's sad and I wish I have some crazy friends using B or K.

The attention drawn by my Kelly wasn't from stranger but my friends. When they saw my 1st Kelly, I could feel that they were thinking like "Are you crazy buying this expensive bag?". Then when they saw another K of mine, they were like "What! Another one...."
To avoid this kind of attention from friends I've decided to limit 2 Ks to be seen by my friends, other Ks to be used when I go out by myself. It's sad and I wish I have some crazy friends using B or K.

Sounds like you have jealous friends. Instead of inspiring them, they comment negatively. I would Do whatever i want with my own money that i worked hard for. ‍♀️

Thats why you have friends here on TPF. We would gladly cheer you on your H quota bag purchases lol

This is what I’m afraid to hear also from my friends so I pretty much won’t tell many people. Love tpf for that reason :heart:

If I were you, I'd say yes another one and there are more to come; then proceed with sharing an extensive list of what I plan to get :angel:
Never stop enjoying what you love because your circle doesn't appreciate it!

exactly same here!

I have one friend who clearly feels that I have over indulged in Hermes bags. However, she spends her money on things that I wouldn't. I feel no guilt and will continue to spend my money on things I love, including another B if I'm lucky, and I will not judge her for how she spends her money.
This exactly! I’ve had work colleagues comment. Usually along the lines of how many holidays they could have had. I pointed out that my birkin is 17 years old, how many bags last that long and still look that good. A holiday lasts two weeks. If that fails I point out the current resale value, if I sold it (not that I plan to) I’d have had the enjoyment from it and then made money not lost it. It’s a win win and guilt free In my book!

My SAs, you and I belong in a rare minority as many others outnumber us. SMs have told me that many customers cannot accept how Barenia scratches and patinas as it ages. It creates huge problems for aftersales service. It has also become harder to produce smooth Barenia in the perfect blemish-free quality Hermes demands. This is why Barenia Faubourg has been recently developed to address these issues.
@periogirl28, when you say it creates problems for aftersales service is that because people’s expectations may be unrealistic and H wants to keep people happy? I would otherwise think that aftersales service would be wonderful in helping to further along the patina process. If you took a barenia bag in for conditioning I imagine the technician would have a grand time massaging the baume (or other products) into the leather. I’m a fan.

No one really makes a big fuss when I use my B. I have noticed though that salespeople from different brands are extra-nice and accommodating when I am looking at or buying things using my B. I don't know if it's just coincidental but that is my experience.
My K gets more attention actually.....maybe because a couple of people mistake them for a "Birkin" and ask me about it :biggrin: One person even said that "it looks like a Birkin but it's not..and it has a shoulder strap on it! :confused1::biggrin: I said it's because it's a Kelly :biggrin::smile:

Off topic I realise and apologise...But I really am not enamoured by BF.
To me the beauty of Barenia is that it ages and gains its own patina-a smooth Barenia bag tells a story.
a Barenia bag feels so personal to the owner and I love that.
I dont want a cookie cutter bag that doesn't slouch and soften or wrinkle like I have with age!

@periogirl28, when you say it creates problems for aftersales service is that because people’s expectations may be unrealistic and H wants to keep people happy? I would otherwise think that aftersales service would be wonderful in helping to further along the patina process. If you took a barenia bag in for conditioning I imagine the technician would have a grand time massaging the baume (or other products) into the leather. I’m a fan.
I wouldn't say unrealistic more like that they are unaware how Barenia ages through the years, it is rare enough to see an item in store let alone a bag. Hermes after sales service is well known, a source for pride and dare I say a selling point for the brand. As such, some customers expect that it either stays pristine with care or can be restored to brand new condition like some other leathers. This expectation is higher as Barenia is priced higher than most other non-exotic leathers. The managers tell me they are very upset once the first scratch or discolouration appears, not realising that is how it wears. I was told by my French craftsperson on no account to apply any conditioner, Baume whatever and I have followed that advice. I do not think they would accept a bag just for conditioning, if there are no other issues. I think we better go back to topic. :biggrin:

Off topic I realise and apologise...But I really am not enamoured by BF.
To me the beauty of Barenia is that it ages and gains its own patina-a smooth Barenia bag tells a story.
a Barenia bag feels so personal to the owner and I love that.
I dont want a cookie cutter bag that doesn't slouch and soften or wrinkle like I have with age!
Let's just say when my SAs and I discuss the leather we are only referring to Heritage Barenia ;) Back to topic.

Reactions: 880

My grandmother taught me very young to never apologize for purchasing heavy ticket items that you love as long as you’re a good and decent human being. She once told me how my grandpa judged her for purchasing a HAC 50 in the early 70s because grandpa said a luggage shouldn’t cost that much. She said she responded by saying “Flying should not be as expensive as owning a Gulfstream.” And those 10 words marked the beginning of her love for Hermès. Never did grandpa comment on any of her Hermès indulgences too lol My point is, people spend on things they feel like spending on. It may not make sense to them but it does to you and vice versa. So you do you and don’t feel bad about your appreciation for things they don’t appreciate. Wear your Kelly’s with love!

Last edited: