As an Ebay Seller...a Little Advice to Other Sellers

Great post... I think it is very helpful of you to give this advice to newbies. It helps avoid the pitfalls that those w/ experience have had to learn through hard knocks. I follow every one of those rules myself and have yet to have a problem with any PayPal dispute. Also, I recommend adding... USE THE PAYPAL SHIPPING TOOL. That way the shipment is in your account w/ a delivery conformation number etc so in case of any paypal dispute, paypal can see it themselves as it is tied to the transaction number.

Oh another reminder:

DON"T throw away your mailing stuff!!!! Keep it in a little box for AT LEAST 1 year!!!!!! Chargebacks can be done long long after someone buys your bag! And without those DC/signature confirmation #s you are screwed!!! I have a new system where I keep them on my desk until I receive feedback for the item. After feedback is received they go into an envelope and that envelope is marked with the month/year and is filed away with my tax documents in a safe place.

OK....just to reiterate...if you're Canadian just block these other bidders...only ship to the US then. I

Shipping to the US is the same - it still costs an arm and a leg to ship with signature and full insurance as the only way to send is via Courier. Canada Post does not offer a single service to the US that includes signature.

[Here's a dumb question: Can't Canadian sellers use FedEx?

Of course we can. It still costs upwards of $100 to for a $400 - $500 item to the US sent by FedEx, and what US buyer is going to pay that?

I sent a VHS tape from western Canada to Seattle via FedEx and it was $76.00. This was a super small, light item with next to no insurance and still cost the better part of $100 bucks.

There is NO reasonable way to ship outside of Canada with signature and full insurance that does not cost a fortune.

Great Post!

Also, just wanted to add...don't transfer your paypal funds on a transaction to your checking account until you have printed out your shipping label. That is the fastest way to get your paypal account frozen. They have bots that check for that thinking they can catch scammers that take the money and don't ship.

One point for US shippers, our USPS is responsible for the package you ship until it leaves our US border. After that.......good luck! I've heard of people who insured thru our postal system only to be told that a package lost in another country was not under the jurisdiction of the USPS.

That's exactly why I now only ship with Global Express mail - at least it is insured and requires a signature! I sold a bag to someone in the UK and shipped by Global Priority - so I had no tracking number. The buyer claimed she never received it, and I provided a copy of the stamped customs receipt showing it had been mailed. She filed a paypal dispute.

I opened an enquiry with the Royal Mail - I don't know if they could/would have done anything but as soon as I advised her of that via the paypal dispute, she said she received them and closed the dispute! But I was fearful that it would have ended up with paypal ruling against me. From that point forward I only ship to the UK and Canada for confirmed addresses, and only by Express mail. It's more expensive and if I lose some international bidders it's a price I'm willing to pay to avoid paypal aggravation!

This is a fabulous thread and both new and experienced ebay sellers should read it - everyone can learn something!

Jo

One point for US shippers, our USPS is responsible for the package you ship until it leaves our US border. After that.......good luck! I've heard of people who insured thru our postal system only to be told that a package lost in another country was not under the jurisdiction of the USPS.

K, forgive me for asking this question, but I just want to CONFIRM this is the right thing to do. I have a $$$$ pair of shoes I'm selling. The interested buyer is in Canada. They have excellent feedback.

So, this is correct right....

1) I should ship USPS Global Express Guaranteed with insurance---->I calculated it and it should cost $50 with insurance.

2) I also told the buyer that "any customs fees incurred are her responsibility".

Or, can I ship via Express Mail International to Canada with insurance and be ok? That only costs $30.

I haven't shipped out of the US in forever and people have gotten sneakier with claims so I just want to make sure I do everything right b/c I don't want to be out several hundred dollars. Thanks in advance to whoever answers my dumb question. LOL

I'm sure the $50 USD will honestly turn this buyer off, but I told her I would discount the shipping by $10 b/c I want the item sold. LOL Again, thanks!

That's exactly why I now only ship with Global Express mail - at least it is insured and requires a signature! I sold a bag to someone in the UK and shipped by Global Priority - so I had no tracking number. The buyer claimed she never received it, and I provided a copy of the stamped customs receipt showing it had been mailed. She filed a paypal dispute.

I opened an enquiry with the Royal Mail - I don't know if they could/would have done anything but as soon as I advised her of that via the paypal dispute, she said she received them and closed the dispute! But I was fearful that it would have ended up with paypal ruling against me. From that point forward I only ship to the UK and Canada for confirmed addresses, and only by Express mail. It's more expensive and if I lose some international bidders it's a price I'm willing to pay to avoid paypal aggravation!

This is a fabulous thread and both new and experienced ebay sellers should read it - everyone can learn something!

Jo

Actually I think they've changed that lately with the new prices and all .... As far as I know it 's no longer called Global Priority Mail but PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL (PMI) :yes: ... since they changed the rates you can purchase insurance for that and it offers full tracking to most major destinations

I just a bag from the US sent to me (I'm in Germany) via that method and could trace every step right down to delivery online.

The only difference between Global Express guaranteed and Global Express Mail is that one guarantees the delivery date and the other doesn't. Otherwise everything else is virtually the same.

Priority mail will now provide you with tracking the entire way & insurance. BUT the signature thing you can't do because it's out of USPS's hands once it crosses the border.
Anything over $250 to canada should be sent with Express mail to obtain a signature.

As for the insurance thing shipping overseas....I have never heard that before...I will check into that at my PO next time I go (tomorrow)!

A lot of transactions that have gone bad are from international buyers with unconfirmed address, and the claim is usually Item Not Received through Paypal.

I would suggest sellers that ship international do not take Paypal for international transactions that cannot have confirmed address. Seller would have ZERO protection for unconfirmed address and usually loses claim this way. Take wire transfer instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Great list! I'd like to add something:

If you are shipping a valuable item (any amount you are afraid to lose), don't buy your USPS postage online through paypal. Instead, take it to the post office and ship it from there. The reason? When you buy your postage through paypal and drop the item off at the post office, they DON'T SCAN IT upon departure. You get that "The seller informed USPS that they were shipping on this date" message when you track online until the item is either scanned along the way or when it is delivered. The problem is, if it isn't scanned when you send it out you have no proof it was ever sent if later it is lost! At least if you take it to the post office in person they scan the sig confirmation form and insurance before they ship it, so it will show up as sent!

If you use the paypal multi-order shipping you can print a scan sheet for the PO before you print the labels. You just deliver it to the PO with your packages and they scan it in and it shows delivered at what post office with the time and date.

You have to print it before you print your labels though or you loose it.

What a great topic, very helpfull!

I am a little confused if a buyer does a chargeback and there is no money in my paypal account, can the automatically go into my checking account and take the money???? Thanks!