As an Ebay Seller...a Little Advice to Other Sellers

Great list! I'd like to add something:

If you are shipping a valuable item (any amount you are afraid to lose), don't buy your USPS postage online through paypal. Instead, take it to the post office and ship it from there. The reason? When you buy your postage through paypal and drop the item off at the post office, they DON'T SCAN IT upon departure. You get that "The seller informed USPS that they were shipping on this date" message when you track online until the item is either scanned along the way or when it is delivered. The problem is, if it isn't scanned when you send it out you have no proof it was ever sent if later it is lost! At least if you take it to the post office in person they scan the sig confirmation form and insurance before they ship it, so it will show up as sent!

Dear Twiggers,

Que Chorus: Thank You!!!

I recently got my blue star on ebay and I have to say, this postage process always gets to me. It really is a bit overwhelming. So, I thank you from the bottom of my :heart: for this reminder list.

And to everyone else who chimed in with their tidbits, I thank you too!

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

thanks twiggers for posting :tup:
for the signature confirmation i add it to any item i sell that if a buyer should claim they didn't get i have proof that they did...that way i don't end up paying for it

OK....just to reiterate...if you're Canadian just block these other bidders...only ship to the US then. I know you'll lose a little bit of business...but better than losing $150 in shipping. And...why save $100 in shipping when you could potentially lose a $2000 bag + $2000 cash!!! It's simple math!
What I usually do...if say someone from Australia contacts me to bid...I will check their feedback, if that looks good I will get an estimate for Express Mail and add $10 (just in case it is higher...i.e. my weight is off)...I then tell the buyer I will refund them any substantial difference in actual costs.

As for excessive negative feedback...there is also an option you can check to block bidders with more than 2 negative feedback within a certain time frame...it'll help a little with that issue!!!!

Thanks everyone....I was worried I was coming across as a little harsh....but it is sad to see sellers losing tons of money because they didn't do these simple things!!!!
Like I said in another post...I actually got mad at someone who sold me a bag. I specifically told her 'it is a $750 bag make sure you have signature confirmation & insurance'...and she ships it with DC. I emailed her and told her if I was an unethical person I could have EASILY filed a paypal chargeback and probably won.

6. Get a new bank account that you never use and attach it to your paypal account. Avoids the 'my account is in the negative and now I can't do anything'...if it's not attached to your regular bank...who cares. Just open another paypal account.

Great post, Twiggers... one question tho.. are people allowed to have 2 paypal accts?

Everytime, I read a post from a seller who has lost the bag and the money, I can immediately see that one of those rules youlisted were broken, and unfortunately they are not going to get either one back:sad:.

This list should be a sticky for every seller to review before listing any bag on eBay!
Thanks!

Also, I always keep all my receipts so I have proof to buyers that the item was sent. A couple of times when I first started selling, I dealt with crazy buyers who tried to claim I didn't send their item (surprise, surprise, they chose the slow shipping then wondered why they didn't have the item the next day). I just scanned my postal receipt and mailed it to them and they had their proof that it was sent.