Article on Puppy Mills and the "Pets of Bel Air"

I think people are missing the point of what I'm saying. YES it's bad to buy a dog from a pet store and YES if they weren't making money puppy mills would go out of business, but I'm disturbed that an organization that preaches the importance of reputable, responsible breeding will also turn a blind eye to puppy mills in the interest of PROFIT. The AKC makes A LOT of money off of puppy mill registration, and it's not through "falsifying papers" or lying - the AKC registers these puppies for $25 a dog! Think about that.

Also, whenever a "breeder" attempts to register more than 7 litters a year, the AKC claims that it sends an inspector to look at the breeder's facility to determine whether or not it meets a certain standard. Look at the puppy mills on this page: http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/kennel-examples.html and tell me if you think that AKC actually followed through on its promise.

So yes, I do expect the AKC to do "more," especially when they are essentially condoning the behavior of puppy mills by giving their stamp of approval to the puppies it produces. I fully understand the responsibility lies with the person who buys a puppy from a pet store, but I also think the AKC should be held accountable for its role in the sale of these puppies as well.

Just because registered papers look official they may not be. I knew a breeder who said that a lot of petstores have fake AKC registrations claiming show dogs as parents. Her dog was a victim of it and she only found out when someone who bought from a petstore wanted to see the "father" of their new puppy.

I just got my latest "US" magazine and it has a blurb about this.....with pics of Britney and Paris and their dogs from this hideous store....at least the info is getting put out there in a very negative light, as it should be.

thank you so much for posting this! I read it previously on the Spoiled Maltese Forum, which I am also part of. I believe the Humane Society of the US (HSUS.ORG) posted an VIDEO of their undercover operation at Pets of Bel Air. People can go directly to the Humane Society website or here to see the video: http://stoppuppymills.org/

it just blew my mind bc those shop workers were just blatantly lying! totally unethical!!

I dont mean to sound "preachy" and forgive me if I do but in case anyone is looking for a puppy, please consider adoption first! if that is not an option, please do find a REPUTABLE breeder on AKC.ORG. Do not go to "back yard breeders." Lastly, STEER AWAY from ANY place/website that uses the term "TEA CUP" or "POCKET BOOK SIZE" puppies... those are indications of unethical breeding methods where they breed for small size and not health! just be careful please!

god bless

Fully agreed! It's infuriating that people buy dogs from places like this!!! :cursing: Especially stupid people like britney spears who can't even take care of their own children! Imagine the poor animals :crybaby: