Are we being "taken" by skincare lines?

I think this really depends. I like more expensive products usually because of the customer service behind them. If they end up not working out I can get a refund or exchange, and a lot of times they can give me a sample so I don't have to make that gamble in the first place. I use philosophy products mostly. The other problem with drugstore products is sometimes you can't know how long they've been sitting on that shelf (which is true of dept stores as well, but usually the cust svc makes up for it). With that said, I use only the L'oreal eye makeup remover.

The markup on cosmetics in dept stores is something like 800%. A cosmetics executive for a major dept store chain told me that once. And some of the major lines also make drug store lines. A lot of beauticians, models and other beauty professionals use drug store cosmetics themselves because it's just as good and costs much less.

:hysteric:

i know for certain that lancome makes l'oreal, and a lot of times you can find products that are basically equivalent in the two lines. my mom loves lancome, so she started trying some l'oreal stuff, and she loves it just as much.

ETenebris said:
Okay...so the shampoo and conditioner are not worth spending big bucks on. But what about facial moisturizers? Line prevention stuff. Is any of that really "different" from high end to low? I mean, is there any significant difference between say Philosophy and Oil of Olay?

I used to sell Avon, and while "results vary," I did find that their products did what they said they would.

Shannon said:
Be careful with the apricopt scrubs. Most of them have jagged edges & do some major cellular damage. I didnt believe it, until I was told to put a black light up to my skin after using them & ouch! there was little tears everywhere!

I stopped using the apricot scrub because it was too harsh on my skin. My new fav is Oil of Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher, it's beyond amazing. My aunt works for a dermatologist and he recommends Olay products as well as the expensive stuff. It's great, I noticed a difference after 1 use, but it states 10 uses is the equivelent of a mini-peel. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and :heart: it so much. My skin is silky soft and smooth and for only $13, give it a try. It's thermal, so use warm water to activate it.

Shannon said:
Be careful with the apricopt scrubs. Most of them have jagged edges & do some major cellular damage. I didnt believe it, until I was told to put a black light up to my skin after using them & ouch! there was little tears everywhere!

I also read that the Apricot scrub is bad for your skin for the same reason. The man-made scrubs are supposed to be better/gentler for your skin because the scrub is made of beads and not jagged pieces of Apricot. I used to like the Apricot scrub, but stopped using it many years ago after I read this.

I can notice some difference between expensive and cheap skincare and hair products. But I am speaking in the pro capacity. When I was doing facials,I used a very expensive glycolic acid product to do mini peels. There was nothing in the stores like it. Likewise I had a microdermabrasion system that was professional and now everyone has a cheap version of it-you can get in the stores. But in hair products, I know for a fact that for certain hair types the professional is better. But only if you have special needs hair,so to speak,e.g. fine curly hair,etc.

Hmm. I just started using the apricot scrub, and I really love how my skin looks afterward! I also just sent my $96 Hope in a Jar back, along with some other Philosophy stuff. Now I get to be paranoid about the scrub tearing my face! Blacklight, you say? How do you do it? My son has a blacklight, so I could borrow it and see what's going on.

Oh, and the Hope in a Jar burned my eyes. I didn't use it around my eyes, but just the fragrance and proximity irritated them. My eyes are SUPER cranky!