Are people really no longer wearing their Chanel bags because others (mostly strangers) stare at them and whisper?

I haven’t seen the chatter op is referring to on tpf or YouTube. It’s odd to me that people would stop carrying designer bags because of a recession and concerns about others financial health. This sound over the top. Poverty and financial insecurity existed before the recession so what’s new?

I understand not wanting to draw attention to oneself as this increases the chance of a mugging. I’m in the dc area and luxury is very common here. People don’t point and stare if people have it on the street. However, crime is way up in the city and surrounding suburbs. I am reticent to carry luxury in dc even where there are luxury shops. A couple months ago at 230 in the afternoon there was a mob that did a smash and grab at the Chanel boutique with shoppers in the store. It was Sunday too!

It may not be new that people are getting mugged for Canada goose jackets but it’s new that it’s happening so often and in broad daylight. It’s also new that University students in the area are being told to stop wearing Canada goose.

Wearing or carrying luxury isn’t worth my life obviously so I’ve mostly stopped carrying it or hide it. It makes me also less inclined to buy it if I can’t enjoy it all the time now.

My 2 chanel bags dont get used often not because Im worried to use them but because I feel they are very delicate. Most of the time I carry LV or Hermes because i find them more robust. I am living in a place where luxury bags are everywhere. So I dont think strangers will look at my bag at all :biggrin:. But I do care about what my friends and relatives think. around them I tried to use the same bag every time so it looks like I dont have many bags. Does not always work though because sometimes I met some friends by accident while using a different bag :biggrin:. I also volunteer a lot and regularly. When volunteering, I usually leave my bag in the car and just go in with my phone in my pocket. But sometime ago I met another volunteer who carried a small Gucci while volunteering and none of the other volunteers cared. So maybe it is ok to carry luxury bag while volunteering. I dont know….but for me, I still leave my bag in the car.

So I had a disturbing encounter today. I was walking in our nearby downtown (major metropolitan area in California, very well off) and a young woman sitting on a bench shouted snarkily, "Is your birkin real,"? Loudly with a smile. I told her I'd be happy to talk to her about it and yes it was real, from Paris. She got really upset and told me to get away, she then said "get you and your f-ing van clefs necklace away from me." She noticed the necklace and the bag and was clearly very very angry. I walked away, but this encounter makes me think I may stick to my Chanel reissues. It does seem like more people know what these bags are and it may be dangerous given widening income inequality and just general anger in the US.
That was quite a weird person! 1 she recognized all the designer stuffs, 2 she asked if was real, 3 got angry, haha weird. I would think most of people would not asked, if asked they probably would make compliments after got the answer. In fact normal people would just make compliments not ask

I think some are aware, but not obsessed like here and on social media. I don't follow influencers, watch YT videos etc, but obviously I'm keenly aware of designer bags. Even though I love bags, I don't really notice or pay attention to what bags others are carrying. So I can only offer my tiny POV, which is my experience of not paying attention, so I don't think everyone else is either lol.

Either way, like I'm sure I said in my response here earlier, no, I'm not editing my bag/jewelry, etc... for anyone and I never notice anyone whispering or judging; generally, I don't think anyone's paying attention to my purse.

I think some are aware, but not obsessed like here and on social media. I don't follow influencers, watch TY videos etc, but obviously I'm keenly aware of designer bags. Even though I love bags, I don't really notice or pay attention to what bags others are carrying. So I can only offer my tiny POV, which is my experience of not paying attention, so I don't think everyone else is either lol.

Either way, like I'm sure I said in my response here earlier, no, I'm not editing my bag/jewelry, etc... for anyone and I never notice anyone whispering or judging; generally, I don't think anyone's paying attention to my purse.
There’s a real thing called the “spotlight effect”, which is “the tendency to believe others are pay more attention to us than in fact they actually do.” Wikipedia defines it as “the psychological phenomenon by which people tend to believe they are being noticed more than they really are.” We’re all guilty of it. For some reason, nature made sure of that.

There’s a real thing called the “spotlight effect”, which is “the tendency to believe others are pay more attention to us than in fact they actually do.” Wikipedia defines it as “the psychological phenomenon by which people tend to believe they are being noticed more than they really are.” We’re all guilty of it. For some reason, nature made sure of that.

Agreed, I have to remind my kids no one's thinking about them as much as they think they are lol

I think some are aware, but not obsessed like here and on social media. I don't follow influencers, watch YT videos etc, but obviously I'm keenly aware of designer bags. Even though I love bags, I don't really notice or pay attention to what bags others are carrying. So I can only offer my tiny POV, which is my experience of not paying attention, so I don't think everyone else is either lol.

I completely agree! I rarely notice others bags when I’m out. I wear my jewelry, bags and shoes for me. Not for anyone else and not going to change that

I guess it depends where you live and social circle. If you’re living in a Tier 1 international city, chances are that luxury items are common place. The districts I frequent in Hong Kong, seem to have a high percentage of Chanel owners. The opposite might be true here, you get whispers for not dressing the part. It took me years to feel “normal” with the materialism here.

Wear what you like and wear it proudly.

I noticed such trend also over the internet (along with "silent luxury") and it seems to spread as a horrible skin rash! The problem with it is that it doesn't correspond to reality. Where I live no one ever notice what handbag I wear. I recently gifted a Giorgio Armani shoulder bag to a very good friend of mine, because I was tired seeing him with the trash bags he used to buy every couple of months. He was very excited as it was his first designer bag and we made a bet - how long it will take someone to notice it is a designer bag - I said - never, if you don't tell people. He was absolutely sure it will take maximum a week. After 2 weeks only one woman noticed he is having a new bag, not a particular designer bag, just a new bag!

I personally don't care what people say - They have right to have an opinion. I rather see my over 40 bags now as a collection than a materialism. I need to carry a bag so why not to be Chanel if I can afford it! What is important is I to enjoy the bag or any other luxury items I have and wear.

The pandemic hit and it made me realize life is too short, why not enjoy while we could. I had delayed buying my first chanel bag for the longest time, with all the excuses, i.e lets wait until I turn 30, lets wait until I achieve sth big. I finally bit the bullet and bought my first chanel in 2021 and went on a shopping spree until 2022. I still enjoy my chanel bags when I go out and about. I intentionally avoid wearing chanel when going to work or to school or when hanging out with my family. I don’t want my coworker or my family know all of my collection pieces ….. Other than that, I dont care what people think of my bags

Very interesting topic! Also very timely...
It is very much a "grey-area" topic to me. There is no "yes or no" answer to this question, and it all comes down to situations and people you'll meet.

Here is my point of view and experience:
Let's start by saying I love dressing up, wearing bags and accessories. I truly enjoy!!!! And I love different situations where I use what I have. Travel, restaurants, bars, shopping malls, beach clubs, ... you name it. This to me is a cluster, or my consumption or lifestyle. And it makes me happy, and is also the reason why I work hard and keep going.

But... there are people who are jealous, toxic and who like to comment on everything you do or wear! Those people do not all need to know how we spend our money! There are things I do and only tell few people who understand and appreciate. I wear my bags across specific situations where I know people around me would appreciate seeing those eye candies. There are people who comment a tad too much, and they see me with same bags and outfits over and over again.

There is another perspective to it too. When you go to a nice champagne bar, or a beautiful beach club, people who sit there expect you to have a nice outfit and bag. They like to look at other people and enjoy it! I even got compliments in bathrooms and changing rooms of restaurants and beach clubs, where women said very nice things.

Moral of story: to make it pleasant, situations and people in those situations should favour bags and outfits.

Very interesting topic! Also very timely...
It is very much a "grey-area" topic to me. There is no "yes or no" answer to this question, and it all comes down to situations and people you'll meet.

Here is my point of view and experience:
Let's start by saying I love dressing up, wearing bags and accessories. I truly enjoy!!!! And I love different situations where I use what I have. Travel, restaurants, bars, shopping malls, beach clubs, ... you name it. This to me is a cluster, or my consumption or lifestyle. And it makes me happy, and is also the reason why I work hard and keep going.

But... there are people who are jealous, toxic and who like to comment on everything you do or wear! Those people do not all need to know how we spend our money! There are things I do and only tell few people who understand and appreciate. I wear my bags across specific situations where I know people around me would appreciate seeing those eye candies. There are people who comment a tad too much, and they see me with same bags and outfits over and over again.

There is another perspective to it too. When you go to a nice champagne bar, or a beautiful beach club, people who sit there expect you to have a nice outfit and bag. They like to look at other people and enjoy it! I even got compliments in bathrooms and changing rooms of restaurants and beach clubs, where women said very nice things.

Moral of story: to make it pleasant, situations and people in those situations should favour bags and outfits.
I agree with you