are all Hermes SAs super rude?

SAs are just like shoes. Some fit well, some don't. Some are great for one situation but poor for another. When I shop alone I seem to get better service than with my companion.

I've been popping into London H stores for decades, and I have noticed that SA seem very different now.
When I was in my twenties, the only place to buy were in Sloane St and Bond St. and Harrods . The SA s in H stores were as far as I remember all older French women.
It felt like being confronted by a headmistress , truly terrifying ! They would never smile, would pull out scarves as if they were doing one a massive favour....
And I really needed then someone to help me chose a suitable colour, and show me choices.
I never knew there were lots to chose from, and would buy a scarf in confusion without knowing whether I liked it or not .

Fast forward to today: there is a huge range of SA now...men and women , young and old , and I've never found any of them anything but pleasant and happy to help.

I think it could be partly related to my own attitude : after years of serving the public in my own profession, I feel that one has to offer a brilliant , happy and obliging service to the paying public . I do expect the same in return , and walk in there expecting it .

I think one should say something to any SA not meeting these criteria . If they seem lacklustre why not ask them if they have a problem .
Hermes is only a SHOP after all .
BTW their sales figures for last year are 20% up .

I have worked in customer service jobs. Bad days happen to all of us. The trick is to leave your crap at the door, or put it in a box on the shelf and open it when you get back home. I would never walk away from a client let alone pick up the phone and then say I'm with a client. Why pick up the phone at all if you can't give the person your attention. It is a matter of treating others as you wish yourself to be treated -- no ands, ifs, or buts. That said I am very well aware that maybe it's their bad day; it still doesn't negate the fact you were disrespectful. I don't think the client appreciates nor would in this instance Hermes. SAs are the face of Hermes.

When I encounter people in jobs who don't seem to get the how to treat who is standing in front of you with respect (and I am not just referring to SAs), I wonder why are these people in this job. They hate it; it shows so why not get another job.

I am agreeing all the way with Frou Frou on this one! (one post up)!

(i even know some one who actually asked the AS "Do you have a problem"?)

I know may people who dont even want to visit a H shop because they feel uncomfortable by the SAs or at least with the idea the have of them! my experience is, and i really dont want to be offensive by using this metaphor, they are like , well.. dogs! they can smell your fear and intimidation, so if u conduct your self in a confident manner and establish from the beginning a buyer /seller relationship (even if just potentially) they behave nicely, polite, helpful even friendly!
I have had all kinds of experiences here in Germany -where the sales personal in ALL stores have a totally different behavior than in the US- some SA have been lovely from the second i walked in, some needed a few more minutes to "crack down"...
at the end we end up making jokes!

The one shop where i really dont like to spend money is Düsseldorf, but not only the SA there are rude, but much more people are there than in other cities! but even there i had a long informative talk with very nice young SA gentleman (not at all the H-type, lol) witch made the visit at this shop very pleasant!

I had my first trip to an H boutique (San Diego, Fashion Valley Mall) this morning. All my previous scarves have been purchased at Nieman-Marcus and other stores, over the phone, etc. I had a very pleasant experience. The young SA was very helpful, and she pulled out many scarves for me to try. It probably helped that I announced when I entered that I wanted to buy a scarf today. And I had a list of designs I wanted to see.

Perhaps instead of complaining about rude SAs, we should start a thread about great SAs and move business toward them!
What a fantastic idea! To answer the original question ... no they aren't all rude, especially in gentler cities, like San Diego (where we recently lost our third H-gentleman to greener pastures, albeit to run the new LV boutique). LOVE my Madison SA's (Linda J and Klaus) and most at Wall Street are polite and helpful. Another fave is Sarah, who left Bergdorf to go to the new Short Hills Mall. I could go on and on but will wait for the thread about great SAs.

I have had mainly good- great service.

If a store is crazy busy I don't even bother, as I can see the SA's are rushed off their feet.

I've seen very rude customers in several countries though!

I can't tolerate rudeness in anyone, including SA's anywhere.;) With that being said, just finished visiting the Vancouver airport Hermes Boutique/store this past Saturday and all the SA's there were very respectful of me. They were polite and courteous. All 3 were Asian, 2 woman and one gentleman. The gentleman could not speak or understand English very much, but was polite and smiled.
I am a white woman and have observed in the past, treatment of myself and others being treated, well let's just say unkind.This is the only reason I bring up to mention in my post that all 3 were Asian. Made no difference to me and my point is, made no difference to them what color I am. Color should only play a part when you are inquiring about a certain bag or another product. I was there to be waited on and perhaps make a purchase and this was clearly understood by all partys.;)

The service was great.

ihalhaiha said:
I went to H for the first time this week and I felt as if the SA didn't really want to help me. I want to go back for some CDCs, but am a little put off.

Not every SA is right for every customer. Maybe you should get a referral for a different SA at your local boutique.

Reactions: Lisa-SH