Anyone used Rosetta Stone and learned a language?

I'm currently using Rosetta Stone to learn Portuguese(Brazillian one). I took a little bit of Level one before I went to Brazil, and realized that I can pick up little phrases when I was there. I would say the software is pretty good, but you gotta use it religiously...I've been slacking, so I'm still on the level one software...haha.

Megs -- I've picked up conversational arabic by using the rosetta stone software. I've also learned a little Greek using the software, so would highly recommend it. As others have said, it's best used daily. My brother, who is in the army, tells me West Point and the rest of the army uses Rosetta Stone for all their officers trying to pick up a language before heading to a country.

Good luck with German! My BF and I are trying to learn each other's native tongue and we're both at the remedial levels so we both lapse back into english like you and Vlad. :Push: Let us know if there's hope!!!

Good luck, Megs! I don't have any experience with this course you speak of, but it's always good to learn a few phrases/words and then immerse yourself in the language. That's how I learned English! Spanish is my native language and was taught Italian by my dad's side of the family. Being forced to express yourself in a particular language will help you LOTS!

I don't have any experience with this (although have looked at ordering it in the past) but I will throw this out for anyone looking at this thread. I got My Spanish Coach for DS#1 for the Nintendo DS for Christmas and DH has used it to pick up quite a bit of Spanish in just a couple of months. They just came out with one for French so maybe they will expand to more versions in the future.

Rosetta Stone is awesome- you won't have a problem with it at all. I have been using it for the last six months or so learning French!!
Good luck- its a lot of fun

I probably shouldn't say so, but a family member of mine (a computer guy) ripped off a sample thing of Rosetta Stone (with all the languages they offer on it) and I have been having a great time playing with it. It certainly is much different (and better) than the rote memorization style of language learning. I haven't really gotten in depth with anything yet, but so far, I really like it.
Good luck with German, btw. My maternal grandparents were German, and I've always wanted to learn it, but it's hard and I'm lazy as hell! I've never gotten past the basics, plus ausfahrt ('cuz it's funny), and untermensch and schadenfreude ('cuz they're mean).

I've wanted to continue learning French and have thought about purchasing Rosetta Stone in the past. I'm still tempted! Please let us know your progress and good luck.

Once I get it I will post progress. I am quite determined to learn German, so hopefully I can do it about an hour a day to help progress. I did learn Spanish at a young age, so I should be able to pick up this language a bit easier.

I am just hoping that Vlad will practice with me! It is SO hard for us to, because I take forever to think of a word sometimes and then he just asks in English and I tell him. Lazy and bad, I know :amuse:

good luck on learning german megs. I would love to learn Russian, Czech, and German. Right now I am learning French for my foreign language course in high school. And at first I thought I was going to die on the first day of class but once the days passed by I got the hang of it. And since I know Spanish learning french can be a bit much easier and you learn quicker.

oh i wish i saw this thread earlier but YES!
I used it to learn French while I was in my sophomore year of high school because I was so behind on the terms and vocabulary and thought this program would help me. It was definitely WAY better than carrying around a language dictionary trying to find the right words to make a sentence and then butchering the whole pronouncation of it all. The program itself is really easy and the cds and the booklet that came with it were very easy to follow because it allowed you to hear the pronouncation of it while also following the booklet. I loved it and would definitely recommend it..it helped me pass the class and I'm now in my 4th year learning french in Uni.

I used the rosette stone to help me brush up on Swedish, Dutch, Russian, and German too. (i checked them out from the library. They're great but overpriced IMO.) I like them, but their are also TONS of cheap and free options. I like podcasts and books as well. Esp learn x in 15 minutes a day.

Makes sure you help Megs, Vlad. I want her to be fluent by 09. LOL

fatefullotus - you are correct. The military uses Rosetta Stone. Several soldiers I know have learned different languages (ie German, Russian, Arabic, French). I am using it to learn Thai. Though it is not the traditional method of learning via software, it is very effective.

Megs - I wish you the best with it. It is certainly worth the investment.