Anyone stepping away from handbags?

Completely. For me there are several reasons:

1) I already have 35 gorgeous premier designer bags which gives me the perfect bag for any occasion.
2) The quality of today’s bags is lower than what I already own.
3) I’m completely uninterested in doing anything (including following trends) just because others are doing it.
4) I’m living a better life for me post 2020 doing more fun activities like hiking, dancing and rock climbing :tup:than blah obligatory activities like society or business events:tdown:.
5) I’m busy decorating our second home and interior design is more fun to me than thinking about a bag.
6) The proliferation of high quality fakes has made bags feel less special. It’s hard for me to value a bag at thousands of dollars when an almost identical version of it is floating around for a few hundred. The whole handbag market seems ludicrous to me now.

The only wardrobe category I still have a deep passion for is fine jewelry. I don’t need any more :giggle:but I love having a wide variety of choices. But, even with this, I only buy custom / unique pieces. I can’t stand the idea of buying something everyone else “has” to have like Cartier love bracelets. Just…why??? I love what I love because it speaks to my soul. Just this weekend, I purchased three unique pieces - one from an estate and two from a custom jeweler. I was like a giggly 6 year old! For me, there is no handbag that can compete with diamonds. :loveeyes:

IMO - everyone goes through ebbs, flows and shifts in their interests. So if someone is in their handbag collecting era, that’s awesome! If they’re on a pause or stop, that’s great too! At the end of the day, bags are just pretty sacks so we can love or leave them as we choose. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I haven't bought bag in such a long time,

I will say, I used to haunt this forum and was constantly scouring all the designer websites and resale websites and it's quite refreshing to not even think about it all anymore. I do enjoy occasionally visiting the forum still and seeing all the pictures, however. It is a wonderful feeling to be content with one's collection.
I agree. I used to haunt tPF, store inventory & sales and the resale sites like crazy. I also felt I had to have “certain” bags to have a complete “collection”. I don’t feel any of that mania and it really is a wonderful release.

This is a great thread for seeing everyone's thoughts. I've been at purse peace for almost a year. A few weeks ago I got the urge and did a lot of online browsing. Bags in shopping carts or 'favorited' but nothing purchased. I went back a few days later and cleared out all the carts because the wave had passed, and I'm back to being content with what I already have.

Instead, this year I'm trying to use each bag, starting with those that typically languish in my closet. I'm trying to figure out why I don't use them, can it be fixed (e.g., buy a new replacement strap), and if not, set aside for selling/donating. I'm also trying to figure out if there are any holes in my collection, but haven't found any yet.

But unlike @Sparkletastic I've replaced some of that shopping for bags with shopping for scarves. However, I'm trying to keep a firm hold on my wallet and realize that I can admire a beautiful piece (bag, scarf, whatever) but not have to own it. Hopefully the nicer weather will get me outside more and away from needless browsing.

This is a great thread for seeing everyone's thoughts. I've been at purse peace for almost a year. A few weeks ago I got the urge and did a lot of online browsing. Bags in shopping carts or 'favorited' but nothing purchased. I went back a few days later and cleared out all the carts because the wave had passed, and I'm back to being content with what I already have.

Instead, this year I'm trying to use each bag, starting with those that typically languish in my closet. I'm trying to figure out why I don't use them, can it be fixed (e.g., buy a new replacement strap), and if not, set aside for selling/donating. I'm also trying to figure out if there are any holes in my collection, but haven't found any yet.

But unlike @Sparkletastic I've replaced some of that shopping for bags with shopping for scarves. However, I'm trying to keep a firm hold on my wallet and realize that I can admire a beautiful piece (bag, scarf, whatever) but not have to own it. Hopefully the nicer weather will get me outside more and away from needless browsing.
Leena Norms on youtube said a great line. "Are you just glad it exists, or do you actually want to own it?" I also remember another youtuber talking about how much he loved the Loewe Puzzle bag and that he's been looking at it for years. However, he has never bought it because sometimes, the best way to appreciate it is just to look, not to own.

I know posting this in the Handbags forum is very ironic, but is there anyone else stepping away from luxury and handbags in general? After my second downsizing, I'm happy with the bags I kept. There's nothing else I need or want to buy. I'm waiting to see Phoebe Philo's new collection, but besides that, all the new releases aren't interesting to me at all. A friend recently offered to bring me a vintage or secondhand bag from Japan, and I couldn't think of anything to get.

Then there's financial reasons. I want to save more money and spend my money wisely but I also want to spend less time thinking about shopping and handbags. But I've also just gotten bored and moved on from endless consumption and mindless shopping. I've seen some people on Youtube talk about doing the same things, but I'm wondering if anyone on TPF is?
Wanted to do an update: in the later part of 2023 I drastically cut down my online shopping overall and my interest in bags. Then in January and February 2024, I bought 3 Polene bags that I had been thinking about for years. I also pulled two bags out of storage. In total, I have 5 additional bags in my closet.

Now I'm back on my low buy/no buy, because not only do I have more important financial and life priorities to account for, I also don't have any more room in my closet. I don't want to take up more space with my wardrobe. The number of bags I have in there is, I feel, at capacity, and I don't want to allocate more room to bags either. Another thing is not allocating time and energy to shopping in general.

I still enjoy looking at bags and paying attention to discussions about fashion and handbags, but I don't have a motivation to pull out my credit card. Phoebe Philo's collection does not attract me. I also saw the new Polene Mokki handbag, and the Lady Djoy bag in lilac purple. Although the bags are beautiful, I don't see a use for them in my daily life. I'm not going to get my money's worth.

I'm very happy with what I have, especially after going through my photo archive on my computer and realizing that I own the most gorgeous bags. So, not going off handbags but going off buying them, especially as the prices are so ridiculously high for (less than) medium tier quality with a top tier brand slapped on. I'm priced out of high end, and it would actually take a bit of a miracle to get me excited about a bag enough to buy it in general.
I agree! I have a powerpoint presentation I saved with pictures of all the bags I own, so I can enjoy the eye candy and remind myself what I already own.

1) I already have 35 gorgeous premier designer bags which gives me the perfect bag for any occasion.
3) I’m completely uninterested in doing anything (including following trends) just because others are doing it.
4) I’m living a better life for me post 2020 doing more fun activities like hiking, dancing and rock climbing :tup:than blah obligatory activities like society or business events:tdown:.
5) I’m busy decorating our second home and interior design is more fun to me than thinking about a bag.
6) The proliferation of high quality fakes has made bags feel less special. It’s hard for me to value a bag at thousands of dollars when an almost identical version of it is floating around for a few hundred. The whole handbag market seems ludicrous to me now.

The only wardrobe category I still have a deep passion for is fine jewelry. I don’t need any more :giggle:but I love having a wide variety of choices. But, even with this, I only buy custom / unique pieces. I can’t stand the idea of buying something everyone else “has” to have like Cartier love bracelets. Just…why??? I love what I love because it speaks to my soul. Just this weekend, I purchased three unique pieces - one from an estate and two from a custom jeweler. I was like a giggly 6 year old! For me, there is no handbag that can compete with diamonds. :loveeyes:

IMO - everyone goes through ebbs, flows and shifts in their interests. So if someone is in their handbag collecting era, that’s awesome! If they’re on a pause or stop, that’s great too! At the end of the day, bags are just pretty sacks so we can love or leave them as we choose. :biggrin:
I definitely relate to all of these points!

Very well said! 💯

• Love
Reactions: Sparkletastic
I have been feeling this way recently! I made a big (for me) purchase last year to celebrate a raise at work — a new Goyard St. Louis. I’m a secondhand shopper, so buying the bag brand new — and getting exactly what I wanted in terms of size, color, condition, etc. — was a big deal for me.

It sort of resolved the “itch” to shop for me, because I’ve been totally satisfied with my collection. When I start to feel bored, I rotate through my existing bags, and I’ve found the rediscovery and renewed excitement of my own items to be really enjoyable.

Like others here have mentioned, I’ve also picked up some new hobbies (exercise!) in the past few years which have taken more of my attention. Truthfully, it’s been a nice change — an exciting new pair of running shoes or leggings is a much smaller hit to my bank account than a luxury bag :lol:

I don’t own even one scarf. :giggle: I would be flummoxed on how to adopt scarves into my style. Maybe because my mom isn’t a scarf wearer?? Did she cause me to be scarf blind?? I just look at them and feel at a total loss.
This can be more satisfying, but also much more expensive than a bag :smile:
It’s so much more satisfying but, yikes, it is much more expensive. It’s worth it though. I can gather friends and family in a home. For some reason no one wants to sit in a handbag. :lol:
Very well said! 💯
Thank you!

Yes, I'm mostly over buying bags, though not 100%. So much of what is out there now is awful and/or overpriced, it makes collection contentment relatively easy. I try new bags on occasion, but everything I've kept in recent years has been minimalistic in design and under $1,000 in price (at least when I purchased it), including Serapian small totes, Lanvin small Hooks, and a Jil Sander unknown name crossbody. I was in a different place when I spent $3 or $4K on handbags, and now that that amount buys a lot less, the decision not to spend is pretty easy.

On the other hand, I've become less willing to part with bags. I used to sell without much thought, but recently canceled a couple of sales because I thought I agreed to prices that were too low and think I was right in hindsight. While I wouldn't spend what I used to on bags, I appreciate what I have more than I did in the past and want to preserve my collection.

I do take breaks from TPF, but once every 2ish years, I see a beautiful bag online or when I'm out, and it takes my breath away, and I find myself back here for a few months. I am mostly at purse peace though. Am even considering downsizing and selling off a chunk of my collection since I no longer care for or use some of my items.

I do take breaks from TPF, but once every 2ish years, I see a beautiful bag online or when I'm out, and it takes my breath away, and I find myself back here for a few months. I am mostly at purse peace though. Am even considering downsizing and selling off a chunk of my collection since I no longer care for or use some of my items.
Great point! I keep reminding myself that I can enjoy and appreciate bags from afar, instead of owning them. Lots of bags may not work for me or fit my lifestyle.