Anyone stepping away from handbags?

I'm very happy with what I have, especially after going through my photo archive on my computer and realizing that I own the most gorgeous bags. So, not going off handbags but going off buying them, especially as the prices are so ridiculously high for (less than) medium tier quality with a top tier brand slapped on. I'm priced out of high end, and it would actually take a bit of a miracle to get me excited about a bag enough to buy it in general.

I'm very happy with what I have, especially after going through my photo archive on my computer and realizing that I own the most gorgeous bags. So, not going off handbags but going off buying them, especially as the prices are so ridiculously high for (less than) medium tier quality with a top tier brand slapped on. I'm priced out of high end, and it would actually take a bit of a miracle to get me excited about a bag enough to buy it in general.
I also love all of my bags and have my Goldilocks number of 8 bags.
I do have a wishlist of 3 bags, but they’re all exotic bags, all very expensive , and atm I’d rather put that money towards jewellery.
I Will buy all 3, one at a time, but I’m not in any hurry, and I’m not looking for any others, although I’m happy with 8, so I’d replace any others if I gifted them, but I agree that the mark ups are ridiculous and it’s only because I really love bags that I’m willing to keep paying them.

Im Actually more of a RTW person than bags or jewelry. My bag collection is pretty stable and I don’t really want anything specific (And some of the things I would like are no longer in production, so I’d have to stumble upon them at resale). But, even about to move into a much larger closet situation, I still face space constraints. Right now, I’m thinking more about furniture, art, and items for the home.

Last edited:
During 2020-2021, I went through multiple stages of decluttering, seeing as most of my time was spent at home trying to be productive during lockdown. During 2022, I decided to get rid of all remaining few pieces of designer RTW and shoes as I don't see any value in them anymore, especially designer sneakers. This year, I have added a few pieces to round out my watch and jewellery collection and feel like they are much more worthwhile purchases.

I'm currently consigning four designer bags to be sold as they do not fit my long-term lifestyle or aesthetic. My designer bag collection now stands at 7 (2 Hermes, 4 Chanel and 1 Valextra) and contemporary bag collection stands at 8 (1 Polene, 3 Longchamp, 2 Oroton and 2 Misc). I wouldn't be opposed to adding one more bag, but it has to make sense and fill a gap in my overall collection.

The difference now is that I have nothing on my wishlist except for travel destinations and experiences. :smile:

I haven't bought bag in such a long time, up until a couple of weeks ago (got my dream belt bag and my first nice tote bag). I sold a lot of my collection a while ago and the few pieces I did keep I don't even use (couple of Coach crossbodies and a large wristlet) and probably need to sell, as well. The main bag I've been using is my Lululemon Cruiser backpack for work, and on off days when I have a lot to carry.

I will say, I used to haunt this forum and was constantly scouring all the designer websites and resale websites and it's quite refreshing to not even think about it all anymore. I do enjoy occasionally visiting the forum still and seeing all the pictures, however. It is a wonderful feeling to be content with one's collection.

Yes. It has more to do with the incredible rates of personal crimes and store thefts and so on that are rampant since the pandemic in and around the United States. There are fewer places where I feel super safe -- even to/from work it's unsafe for me -- so I'm focused much more on buying items that I need for my home and family and staying away from bags and jewelry items that look too expensive. I've stopped using luxury bags with visible logos and have started to carry luxury without branding, and lots of department store brands of bags, so I feel a little less obvious.

I haven’t bought a bag in over a year and half. Instead, I sold a purse. I am considering selling my Chanel Boy. I used it for less than 10 times. As I age, I start to know better what I’d really use. The Chanel Boy bag just doesn’t suit my lifestyle. Nothing is wrong with the bag itself. I use a backpack for work, so there aren’t many opportunities to carry a purse.

Yes. It has more to do with the incredible rates of personal crimes and store thefts and so on that are rampant since the pandemic in and around the United States. There are fewer places where I feel super safe -- even to/from work it's unsafe for me -- so I'm focused much more on buying items that I need for my home and family and staying away from bags and jewelry items that look too expensive. I've stopped using luxury bags with visible logos and have started to carry luxury without branding, and lots of department store brands of bags, so I feel a little less obvious.
I feel you. This is one of the reasons I dislike visible branding.

I don’t think this is me yet but i am at a stage where I know what brands/styles I like to own. I will always appreciate a beautiful bag whether it’s a high or low end brand but don’t necessarily have that desire to have all of those bags any longer, if you get me? Once upon a time I bought a bag because it was a good price or a nice colour but I would instantly regret it and either return it or resell, which is the part I got bored with!

I do believe that when the fun goes it’s time to stop or take a break. I hope your savings goes as you wish :smile:

I think I still love a great handbag. And there are some amazing sellers that are starting to pop up in the resale market, that are starting to understand that most of the places that resell luxury goods are committing highway robbery. But I found a couple of amazing places that you won't pay more there than you would for a much lesser quality new handbag. There's an amazing reseller in Canada - OA.

Reactions: poleneceline
I bought a small Longchamp top handle and have been carrying it for almost two months. I’m loving it. i recently looked long and hard at my bags and realized that I had not bought a luxury bag in over three years (pre-COVID). It’s been Coach and Tory Burch with a little Kate Spade and Rebecca Minkoff sprinkled in. My focus now is jewelry and not even designer jewelry.
If I don’t purchase a bag for another two months, I‘m certain that I’ll be fine. I’m just not craving a handbag.
I love Longchamp, their bags are true beauties, maybe to someof us like me, take time to fall in love with that brand but sooner or later happens.

Anyway where do you find Rebecca Minkof in stores now ?
I’m from Mexico but go quite often to Miami for vacations and stores which used to have Rebecca Minkof they don’t have them anymore. Now you can only see them at Nordstrom rack or outlet stores like that.

But maybe it’s because it’s Miami which has turned quite more elite especially Aventura For example Bloomingdale’s carries very few contemporary brands in store like Marc Jacobs and Tory Burch and that’s it.

The contemporary handbags section at Nordstrom has gotten smaller. Though they do have a fair amount bought my longchamp there. There are the contemporary brands boutiques but it was always nice looking for them when I was younger to Bloomingdale’s and check the 11% discount for tourists.

now I can understand why the smaller department stores prefer to favor luxury. It seems like there is pattern that smaller Saks and Bloomingdale’s carry mostly or only designer while the bigger ones have a more mixed merchandise.

When I went to Paris galleries Lafayette and printemps felt much more balanced then the American stores but that’s probably because they are huge stores.