Anyone stepping away from handbags?

poleneceline

Mar 16, 2022
I know posting this in the Handbags forum is very ironic, but is there anyone else stepping away from luxury and handbags in general? After my second downsizing, I'm happy with the bags I kept. There's nothing else I need or want to buy. I'm waiting to see Phoebe Philo's new collection, but besides that, all the new releases aren't interesting to me at all. A friend recently offered to bring me a vintage or secondhand bag from Japan, and I couldn't think of anything to get.

Then there's financial reasons. I want to save more money and spend my money wisely but I also want to spend less time thinking about shopping and handbags. But I've also just gotten bored and moved on from endless consumption and mindless shopping. I've seen some people on Youtube talk about doing the same things, but I'm wondering if anyone on TPF is?

Me. I don’t have any desire to buy any more bags. Or sell the ones I have. I just don’t think about bags anymore. I don’t even browse the resale sites anymore. I like it. One day it just turned off - the wanting to look, the wanting to buy, the wanting to know what’s coming next.

There are more important things in life to pay attention to, and spend money on.

I do recognize I have replaced my handbag obsession with another obsession. Working out. I like it though. It makes me feel good and stay healthy.

Same.

The need disappeared.

I pared down my collection to bags I rotate through semi-regularly and decided the Loewe Hammock would be my last milestone bag for a while.

Two years has turned out to be my average waiting period between bags these days.

Friends, art classes, cycling, yoga and books take up more of my time sprinkled with a little cozy gaming.

My purchases these days are just replenishing face care or replacing worn down 5+ y/o electronics or accessories.

Conspicuous consumption gets boring.

I've really enjoyed Caitlin Pawlowski's introspective takes on consumption.

I know posting this in the Handbags forum is very ironic, but is there anyone else stepping away from luxury and handbags in general? After my second downsizing, I'm happy with the bags I kept. There's nothing else I need or want to buy. I'm waiting to see Phoebe Philo's new collection, but besides that, all the new releases aren't interesting to me at all. A friend recently offered to bring me a vintage or secondhand bag from Japan, and I couldn't think of anything to get.

Then there's financial reasons. I want to save more money and spend my money wisely but I also want to spend less time thinking about shopping and handbags. But I've also just gotten bored and moved on from endless consumption and mindless shopping. I've seen some people on Youtube talk about doing the same things, but I'm wondering if anyone on TPF is?
Not handbags technically but I prefer more practical bags like rucksacks or satchels!

Not handbags technically but I prefer more practical bags like rucksacks or satchels!
After two large home moves (hassle galore) I deeply desire minimalism. However, it is so hard when your wardrobe consists of great pieces…waiting for the matching bottoms…or just stuff that doesn’t go together well, despite thinking it would at the time of purchase.

Not to mention all the seasons I have to store in the closet. Then work v play.

This goes for bags as well.

I want minimalism but it’s hard to get there because I’m always looking for those few missing pieces and when I get more puzzle pieces to fill the gaps, some fit into my closet puzzle gaps, and others just keep adding on like that old fashioned horror movie about the house that the ghosts keep on adding onto (Rose Red?)

In sum, my one year search for minimalism is proving harder than expected.

I’ve now ventured to designer RTW thinking I’ll take five designer clothing pieces over 50 WHBM or Ann Taylor pieces. This journey is also proving difficult with all the things that DONT work. So far, my only successes are one designer suit (St John), one everyday casual dress (Gucci), one Hermes day time dress, and one all purpose black dinner dress (Oscar De La Renta). I need more casual every day dresses but I want timelessness, fit, and versatility. So hard to actually find.

I still love bags but the crazy prices have completely turned me off. I resent the unabashed corporate greed and the attitude that they’re doing me a favor in letting me buy a bag. Luckily I have most of the bags I wanted. The ones that got away are the regrets I don’t mind having. I’ve switched to jewelry, focusing more on the design and the quality rather than on the designer.

I hadn’t bought a bag since 2020 except for a a couple of on sale Cole Haan bags last year. I’ve been enjoying the bags I’ve collecte. Nothing really tempts me anymore. I did decide I wanted a Fendi Selleria bag and I purchased 2 pre loved. I think I’m satisfied for the foreseeable future. I’m no longer working outside the home so I don’t leave the house very often. I have to remind myself of that when tempted to buy clothes or bags.

Not me, i am enjoying collecting, adding, and tweaking. I am letting go of bags that do not work for me, but still adding. I will always have room for a beautiful Old Bottega that sparks joy, and i also have a wishlist of 6-8 bags i want to add, mostly H, LV, and Fendi. I ignore trends and add/carry bags that speak to me. I’ve collected many different kinds of bags over the years, and moved on from many styles/brands. But i’ve had the bag bug since 6th grade - when monogramed Bermuda bags were the rage! Thats 4 decades and counting :lol: I will be a baglady when i am in the nursing home — carrying one to Bingo!

I have slowed down, practically stopped for various reasons. I did purchase a little cloth Vera Bradley crossbody to carry on very casual days and a Ralph Lauren Lauren bag, Maddy, to carry for just an everyday bag in the past few months.

My son and daughter-in-law offered to pick up a bag for me while they were on their honeymoon, but at first I couldn't think of anything I really wanted. Normally I would have been like, yes, go to LV and grab me a bag! I ended up asking them to get a Longchamp Le Pliage in a fall color for me, so they did. It's really pretty and will be nice to use on rainy days.

Dh and I were in one of the nearby cities lately, we cruised around one of the nice malls and there was a LV there. He said go in and get something if you want...and I was nah, I'm good. lol.

Part of it is the prices...I am miffed about the ridiculous prices now. I have been purchasing LV for maybe 12 years now and the price jumps have been crazy. It bothers me to pay as much for a wallet now as I paid for my first Speedy back then. Don't even get me started on price of the other simple canvas bags. Dh said he was fine with me purchasing a leather bag, but I don't carry a lot of leather, so I rarely purchase leather in any brand.

Also, I am also trying to move more towards minimalism of some stripe. My dad and my brother, even my mom to some extent, were minimalists before it was even a thing. I have always been the one who had too much stuff, but lately I have been slowly moving towards trying to declutter, downsize and simplify my life. Actually I have been trying to do this for years and years. It has been a process for me, one step forward, two steps back, etc. I am making progress, but it has been a learning curve. I'll get there, slow and steady wins the race.

I'll never be a minimalist with a modern looking, stripped down house. That is not me. But I can sort through what I have, pare things down, possibly move to a smaller house, etc. I don't need or want an overflowing closet anymore, a cluttered kitchen full of ALL the things, purses hanging on doorknobs, because I have run out of closet space, etc. I am tired of taking care of all the stuff.

Anyway, I'd like to have things I love and use, be comfortable, but not crowded and not feel like I am suffocating from all the stuff around me, if that makes sense. We've had parents pass lately and our last parent is in longterm care, so we have all of their stuff we are trying to sort through and deal with, too. It all feels a bit overwhelming at times.

That said, we are trying to figure out what to do now that dh is retired, do we want a lake house and a condo? Do we want to stay in the house we are in now? Do we want a little cottage in the country? We don't know for sure yet, but before we can do anything, we need to pare down. I do not want to move all of this stuff wherever we go. It's too much. I love my purses, but I have set some aside that I may eventually give away to friends or donate. I have purses in three different closets...:girlsigh:

I am at the point where enough is enough. I'd rather pare down to favorites and use them, enjoy them and keep it simple. I can do this! :yahoo:

I think I am basically priced out of most luxury bags now. And I am clumsy and leather can be delicate :lol: So I’m enjoying what I have, and if something from a quality but non-luxury brand (polene, mansur gavriel, etc) catches my eye, I might be tempted to add it. But probably 1-2 per year at most.

I am focusing my luxury budget on jewelry now. I get more use out of my jewelry than my bags. And my jewelry feels a little less fragile than leather :hbeat:

Yes. My love for handbags was just Phoebe Philo’s Céline. She stepped down then my SA and boutique manager and I lost interest. New Celine didn’t appeal. I ventured into other brands like Chanel, Dior and LV but let them go again as they didn’t excite me.

I moved house then ended up with a friend lodging long term who’d sold his 4 bed house and had a lot of stuff. I’ve always been minimal and had to show him the ropes but my bag collection was questioned lol.

I sold lots starting with the biggest and enjoyed seeing them go. I still have about 20 but selling is not great right now. I’m using only 3 or 4. I have zero interest in changing out slgs.

I’m not mean but I don’t appreciate the greed of the constant price hikes, particularly if the quality isn’t good.

I think I’m over luxury but time will tell when Phoebe brings out her new line.

I bought a small Longchamp top handle and have been carrying it for almost two months. I’m loving it. i recently looked long and hard at my bags and realized that I had not bought a luxury bag in over three years (pre-COVID). It’s been Coach and Tory Burch with a little Kate Spade and Rebecca Minkoff sprinkled in. My focus now is jewelry and not even designer jewelry.
If I don’t purchase a bag for another two months, I‘m certain that I’ll be fine. I’m just not craving a handbag.