Anyone have difficulty pulling the trigger on a boy?

The black caviar & lamb boys are already considered classics and boys in general will be classified as a classic Chanel line. It depends on your personal style whether or not the boy is for you, personally I had to have a black lamb in my collection and I'll probably add another real soon.

+2

I saw French grannies and moms wearing boy flaps in Paris and they looked fantastic! It's the overall outfit matters not age IMHO.

I am not a die hard boy fan but I love the lightweight and cross body design. It's nice to switch out classic flaps/reissues and take the boy out sometimes. New medium is way lighter than jumbo and fits a lot while still looks edgey

And I don't see boys losing value in resell market since price continues to go up. (I sold one from my collection this year myself)

Cruise prices are crazy for me (but I said the same thing before May 1 as well as several TPFers here and I bought a boy this fall).

This really is a personal preference and nothing more. Don't buy one just because others say it's a classic and vice versa.
It has to fit your lifestyle! This is true for all bags.

Good luck with your decision

I agree with this; I never knew people considered Boy bags inappropriate for the 'over a certain age' crowd ~ I just don't get that.

I think the boy is not a classic and is very expensive. But most of the seasonal bags are also just as expensive. With the recent price increase on the classic bags, I feel the current boy prices are still justifiable. However, I can't see myself paying the new prices for the cruise collection.
I do love the size of the old medium. It's the perfect crossbody bag. The WOC and mini do not hold as much as the old medium. And the old medium looks better when worn single strap on the shoulder than the WOC and mini (they're a little too long). I saw two ladies in their late 50's wearing the boy this weekend and I thought they looked great. The one was wearing the new medium in black lamb double straps and the second one was wearing the small in red lamb crossbody. They looked amazing! I think you can still definitely wear it in your 50's and 60's.

Yes, you are likely quite right - it is not about the age - but how you wear it. I will not rule out ever having one, as you should never say never......afterall I never thought I would own Chanel 12 months ago either and here I am now planning my 5th bag !!

It is so suitable for what the late 2000's and 2010's will be remembered for - the eclectic street style that dominates fashion today. The mix of classic, yet, young and "hipster" with a dab of punk. Just like all the decades before had a distinct style so will our time now, and I feel like Le Boy will be extremely representative of this time.

Yes and that is my concern - it is representative of THIS time, but in another 10 years when "punk" & edgy is not trendy, will you still want to rock it? Will you want to carry a bag that appears dated by associating it with an era? But of course if the bag stays popular and really does become a classic then that is cool too - it is something we wont know until time passes as we don't have a crystal ball for the future.

I guess buy what you can afford, and what you love, and if it does not become a classic or not be so desirable, then be prepared to take a loss on resale down the track.

Those are the choices with any bag I guess.....

For some reason I like Le boy on others, but not on me. As other tPFers mentioned, I'm not sure if it becomes classic. I try to be careful with trendy stuff like Celine Luggage tote, but I bought Bal City, which proved to stay in fashion. If I recieved a boy as a gift, heck yeah, I'd rock it. If purchasing with my own money, I'd wait.

I had a Le Boy, but decided instead to get a classic flap. My Boy was multi-colored and there were times I either switched my bag or changed my clothes to be able to wear it! So I'm still on the lookout for a beautiful Boy, but it will probably be only one color and unique enough to look different from my WOC.

My exact dilemma! I love the Boy and it's been sitting in my wishlist for a while.... But I cant seem to pull the trigger solely because I can't see it grow old with me. And at its price, I need it to!

For some reason I like Le boy on others, but not on me. As other tPFers mentioned, I'm not sure if it becomes classic. I try to be careful with trendy stuff like Celine Luggage tote, but I bought Bal City, which proved to stay in fashion. If I recieved a boy as a gift, heck yeah, I'd rock it. If purchasing with my own money, I'd wait.

I love the boy and think it would work for women of any age. It all depends on how you style it. But to your point about the Celine Luggage, I so totally agree! Though it is very popular right now, I really hate that I bought it. I can see it being like the Fendy Spy Bag I spent a ton of money on years ago. It just sits in the dustbag in my closet and never sees the light of day. Can't bring myself to sell because I know I won't see back the money I spent. But Chanel, I think Chanel bags just always look elegant and stand the test of time! ;)

I didn't have any difficulty in purchasing my first Boy at all. The moment I saw it in the Bond street store my heart skipped a few beats and I knew I had to get it! I ended up purchasing my first Boy a couple days later after not being able to stop thinking about it.

I think Boy Bags are a work of Art and are very sturdy bags despite the fabric lining. If you already own a few classics and are looking to get something different they are a great choice. If you were buying for investment and to pass on, you probably wouldnt buy as your first or second bag...sure it's a gamble, but we sometimes need to live in the now. Coco Chanel took many risks and changed womens fashion in a big way back in her time going against all the trends and look where her brand has gone.

I am struggling to buy a boy. I went down to London a few weeks back with the intention of purchasing but despite trying several and loving the designs, the strap is just too short for me. I'm 5'9" and can't wear the bag cross body, it sits on my waist and looks ridiculous. I have the boy woc and the chain length is perfect on that, but my understanding is the coming boy wocs will have shorter chains!

I probably the minority here. I love my boys and I have 2. But I stick with neutral colors which is black and red. :smile: and won't buy any tweeds or patent colorful ones even though they are pretty too. On my casual happy days, I love to carry them. On little more formal days, my classic and reissue will see the light.

+2

I saw French grannies and moms wearing boy flaps in Paris and they looked fantastic! It's the overall outfit matters not age IMHO.

I am not a die hard boy fan but I love the lightweight and cross body design. It's nice to switch out classic flaps/reissues and take the boy out sometimes. New medium is way lighter than jumbo and fits a lot while still looks edgey

And I don't see boys losing value in resell market since price continues to go up. (I sold one from my collection this year myself)

Cruise prices are crazy for me (but I said the same thing before May 1 as well as several TPFers here and I bought a boy this fall).

This really is a personal preference and nothing more. Don't buy one just because others say it's a classic and vice versa.
It has to fit your lifestyle! This is true for all bags.

Good luck with your decision

I agree with both of you and much prefer the Boy to the flap . I don't like the Reissue at all and never plan to own one.

I think the Boy has a trendier look and I adore the chunkier chain. I would stick to a classic colour though. I wouldn't usually use the medium X body but it's handy if you do have occasion to be hands free and I think it still looks really good if worn this way. I am 5' 4" so it fits me fine.

I think it's a fabulous all rounder and I will get far more use out of it than a flap. I would happily wear it in the evening although I do have a small black flap that would probably get preference.

As for being a senior citizen, i am too and I have never even considered that it's not suitable. It's just a beautiful bag thats very versatile and can be worn casually or formally, dressed up or down for day or night

I've not bought one. I don't consider them to be a classic, I won't pay a classic price for them (and fabric lined...no way), and I can't see myself carrying one when I'm older either, and my bags are for life and to hand down to the next generation. They aren't timeless, they are just the fad right now, in my opinion. Karl really pushed them to be his "legacy" and I just don't like the clunky thick chain.
I totally agree, I just don't like the chunky chain and the boxy look.

So I saw a beautiful chevron old medium boy today and am torn. My birthday is coming up and I want another crossbody bag. I was looking at an Alma bb in Epi but now the boy is giving the alma some serious competition. I already have a woc, mini, and reissue (these can be worn crossbody for me); do you think the boy is necessary?? I am trying to talk myself out of spending a good chunk of change :sad:. The alma is way more affordable (and I love it too). In terms of space, do you think having this boy in old medium would make sense? Help!