Anyone have difficulty pulling the trigger on a boy?

Count me in for all the reasons already mentioned here. Plus, it's hard to dress up for the evening so to me, it's not versatile enough to warrant the price. Too many things bug me enough not to pull the trigger - lack of leather lining, lack of intricate details as compared to the classics making it so easy to precisely counterfeit, ease of showing scratches on inner flap and wear on straight/sharp corners...

No, thank you. Sticking to classic flaps and reissues.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a Boy either. I like the way they look, but can't justify the price, and like so many others have said, I can't be sure I'll love it several years down the line. I like the edgy look, but I can't think of an outfit I'd wear the Boy with where my Reissue 226 won't do just as well. I actually don't mind fabric linings, depending on the bag, but the Boy strikes me as a seasonal bag priced like a classic.

If WOCs worked for me, I might get a Boy WOC, but alas, I need more room than the WOC provides.

I've not bought one. I don't consider them to be a classic, I won't pay a classic price for them (and fabric lined...no way), and I can't see myself carrying one when I'm older either, and my bags are for life and to hand down to the next generation. They aren't timeless, they are just the fad right now, in my opinion. Karl really pushed them to be his "legacy" and I just don't like the clunky thick chain.
AH! I thought I was the only one who thought this!

I have mixed feelings on this bag too. My daughter has it and it looks wonderful on her but for me - heading towards my 50s - I feel even though I dress fairly modern, I feel the bag is not going to suit me in 10 years time, so I am sticking to the classics that I can keep rocking. I also think the fabric lining is cheap (much like Gucci lining) - for the price of the bag. But I have to say the Boy Woc - well that I would love - and in a black patent if that ever becomes available.

I probably the minority here. I love my boys and I have 2. But I stick with neutral colors which is black and red. :smile: and won't buy any tweeds or patent colorful ones even though they are pretty too. On my casual happy days, I love to carry them. On little more formal days, my classic and reissue will see the light.

I'm definitely a fan but think I will probably stick to the one I've bought recently and not expand further-- I totally get everyone's concerns about price and quality and longevity as far as the style is concerned. That said, I really do like the style (for now)!

I think the boy is not a classic and is very expensive. But most of the seasonal bags are also just as expensive. With the recent price increase on the classic bags, I feel the current boy prices are still justifiable. However, I can't see myself paying the new prices for the cruise collection.
I do love the size of the old medium. It's the perfect crossbody bag. The WOC and mini do not hold as much as the old medium. And the old medium looks better when worn single strap on the shoulder than the WOC and mini (they're a little too long). I saw two ladies in their late 50's wearing the boy this weekend and I thought they looked great. The one was wearing the new medium in black lamb double straps and the second one was wearing the small in red lamb crossbody. They looked amazing! I think you can still definitely wear it in your 50's and 60's.

Last edited:
There's no justifying the purchase in my opinion. They don't hold they're price very well. Chanel bags are an investment buy but if you look on eBay there are several Boys going for less than 2000. That's a major loss.

I saw two ladies in their late 50's wearing the boy this weekend and I thought they looked great. The one was wearing the new medium in black lamb double straps and the second one was wearing the small in red lamb crossbody. They looked amazing! I think you can still definitely wear it in your 50's and 60's.

I agree with this; I never knew people considered Boy bags inappropriate for the 'over a certain age' crowd ~ I just don't get that.

I was going to get a navy medium boy last month. Instead I got a navy Dior classic bag. I do like the look of the boy but the Dior seemed more timeless.

I'll probably be in the minority here. I LOVE Le boy. I truly think it will be a classic chanel. It is so suitable for what the late 2000's and 2010's will be remembered for - the eclectic street style that dominates fashion today. The mix of classic, yet, young and "hipster" with a dab of punk. Just like all the decades before had a distinct style so will our time now, and I feel like Le Boy will be extremely representative of this time.
I think it will be one of the staple chanel bags along with the "classic" flap and reissue in the future. And as far as the non leather lining, I actually prefer it, less maintenance and worrying about damaging it. Not to mention the light weight!

Just my five cents. I'm sure many will disagree.

I think the boy is not a classic and is very expensive. But most of the seasonal bags are also just as expensive. With the recent price increase on the classic bags, I feel the current boy prices are still justifiable. However, I can't see myself paying the new prices for the cruise collection.
I do love the size of the old medium. It's the perfect crossbody bag. The WOC and mini do not hold as much as the old medium. And the old medium looks better when worn single strap on the shoulder than the WOC and mini (they're a little too long). I saw two ladies in their late 50's wearing the boy this weekend and I thought they looked great. The one was wearing the new medium in black lamb double straps and the second one was wearing the small in red lamb crossbody. They looked amazing! I think you can still definitely wear it in your 50's and 60's.

I agree with this; I never knew people considered Boy bags inappropriate for the 'over a certain age' crowd ~ I just don't get that.

I agree as well. I think the Boy can certainly be worn by women of all ages -- whether or not it works for you depends more on individual style than age. That said, I don't know that I'll still like the style enough in a few years to justify the price now.

Never appealed to me. I dont see this line surviving 20 yrs in the fashion house. The reissue design is almost 60 years old (Feb 1955)!!!! It is incredible. Karl's legacy is already solidified with the CC classic flap. The CC turnlock was released inthe 80's. The Boy is a passing fancy.

I hate the fact it is not leather lined and priced as the classics! The clunky chain looks too industrial chic for me. No boys for me.

It's too trendy to warrant the price. It's too uncomfortable to be a real everyday bag and it's too trendy to wear elegantly at night... so that is also why I think it's too expensive. Part or why I bought a classic is because of the versatility and ability to maintain value... That's how something stands the test of time. And I agree It's also odd on older woman like 60s and up - They look best in the classics. For 4k plus, better off investing in something else....