Anyone else still on a "Lockdown"?

Oh no, from where I sit in Australia, with its stuttering vaccine roll out, Britain is held up as successful with its vaccine rollout. And with a population chomping at the bit to get out and about once vaccinated.
I hope the change is better than expected I hope it goes okay. I will be thinking of you.
I’m in England. I’m cautious but far from despondent, and as an asthmatic I’m in an at risk category. The UKs initial response to the pandemic was a disaster. But now 90% of the adult pop has antibodies according to the Beeb this morning. Boosters are planned for over 50’s later in the year. Infections are up but hospitalisation and deaths are increasing at a far lower rate than in previous waves and that’s despite delta being the dominant variant for some time now. Vaccines are effective.
Life has to go on. Depression and mental illness cost lives. Ruined livelihoods and lost jobs harm people. Non-Covid patients need their treatment too.
Thousands of people die on the roads every year, it doesn’t stop us getting into our cars. We don’t shut the country down for flu or pneumonia either and they kill thousands of older people every single year.
We have to live with the Covid risk and learn how to manage it.

Lockdown extended for at least a week! God...

Thank you very much, Delta Variant... :blah:

That's true, but I guess we are trying to avoid a similar fate to Melbourne's 112-day lockdown last year, which started a year ago today.

I actually have to hand it to the citizens of Melbourne. They just took it on the chin and got on with it, despite how difficult it must have been. I'm actually embarrassed by the way some Sydneysiders are carrying on over the last two weeks... it comes across as very entitled and selfish, especially when they don't see the bigger picture and consider their actions affecting the community and possible further extension of lockdown. I'm just glad it's forecasted to rain this weekend, which means that movements will be limited.

I’m in England. I’m cautious but far from despondent, and as an asthmatic I’m in an at risk category. The UKs initial response to the pandemic was a disaster. But now 90% of the adult pop has antibodies according to the Beeb this morning. Boosters are planned for over 50’s later in the year. Infections are up but hospitalisation and deaths are increasing at a far lower rate than in previous waves and that’s despite delta being the dominant variant for some time now. Vaccines are effective.
Life has to go on. Depression and mental illness cost lives. Ruined livelihoods and lost jobs harm people. Non-Covid patients need their treatment too.
Thousands of people die on the roads every year, it doesn’t stop us getting into our cars. We don’t shut the country down for flu or pneumonia either and they kill thousands of older people every single year.
We have to live with the Covid risk and learn how to manage it.
I was in London and Oxford last week and am returning to pick my daughter up from school. I live in LA. I noticed in England, there are less mask wearing in public. However, when you enter a restaurant or Wimbledon, they want proof of vaccines or a contact tracer. In doors, many people are still wearing masks. In LA, we just lifted mask mandates entirely a month ago, but 65% of people are still wearing masks indoors and outdoors. Nobody asks for proof of vaccine status. My entire family have been vaccinated, including my teenagers. Frankly, I feel safer in England because the mask and vaccine issues were not such divisive political subjects as they were in the US.

I was in London and Oxford last week and am returning to pick my daughter up from school. I live in LA. I noticed in England, there are less mask wearing in public. However, when you enter a restaurant or Wimbledon, they want proof of vaccines or a contact tracer. In doors, many people are still wearing masks. In LA, we just lifted mask mandates entirely a month ago, but 65% of people are still wearing masks indoors and outdoors. Nobody asks for proof of vaccine status. My entire family have been vaccinated, including my teenagers. Frankly, I feel safer in England because the mask and vaccine issues were not such a divisive political subjects as they were in the US.
We’ve never been required to wear masks outdoors in the UK, but it is a requirement indoors and on public transport. I’ve seen very few people not wearing masks in shops etc. That mask mandate lifts in a couple of weeks. There is some lobbying for masks on public transport to be maintained for longer though and I think it would make sense.
I find it comforting to know the majority of people around me are vaccinated. And I drove past a vaccine centre yesterday where there was queue of young people waiting for their jabs which went round the block.
I’m glad you felt safe, and enjoyed your trip. I’m watching the tennis on TV, and loving seeing the crowds back at Wimbledon :smile:

Oh no, from where I sit in Australia, with its stuttering vaccine roll out, Britain is held up as successful with its vaccine rollout. And with a population chomping at the bit to get out and about once vaccinated.
I hope the change is better than expected I hope it goes okay. I will be thinking of you.

Thank you the people champing at the bit to get out have been out the whole time ignoring the rules which I why we have never got cases down

I was in London and Oxford last week and am returning to pick my daughter up from school. I live in LA. I noticed in England, there are less mask wearing in public. However, when you enter a restaurant or Wimbledon, they want proof of vaccines or a contact tracer. In doors, many people are still wearing masks. In LA, we just lifted mask mandates entirely a month ago, but 65% of people are still wearing masks indoors and outdoors. Nobody asks for proof of vaccine status. My entire family have been vaccinated, including my teenagers. Frankly, I feel safer in England because the mask and vaccine issues were not such divisive political subjects as they were in the US.
Yea its next level here. I find myself literally having to defend my choice of still wearing a mask indoors. Why? Because it makes others feel uncomfortable with the idea that it MIGHT be unsafe. Oh hell.

That's true, but I guess we are trying to avoid a similar fate to Melbourne's 112-day lockdown last year, which started a year ago today.

I actually have to hand it to the citizens of Melbourne. They just took it on the chin and got on with it, despite how difficult it must have been. I'm actually embarrassed by the way some Sydneysiders are carrying on over the last two weeks... it comes across as very entitled and selfish, especially when they don't see the bigger picture and consider their actions affecting the community and possible further extension of lockdown. I'm just glad it's forecasted to rain this weekend, which means that movements will be limited.
Yup…and now a curfew not that my night life was that exciting!
I miss going for walks on the beach and hunting for beach glass plus there are only so many photos I can take of my cat!
Wish people would actually do the right thing and follow the advice given by the Ministry of Health, we are up to 900 plus cases

Yup…and now a curfew not that my night life was that exciting!
I miss going for walks on the beach and hunting for beach glass plus there are only so many photos I can take of my cat!
Wish people would actually do the right thing and follow the advice given by the Ministry of Health, we are up to 900 plus cases

Apparently they will make an announcement tomorrow to give some freedoms for those who are fully vaccinated. I get my second jab next Thursday (Sep 2) so the timing is great. They have essentially given up on the case numbers now and are focusing on the vaccination rate.

First thing I want to do when we get out of lockdown is get a haircut and spend some time with my parents. The next tier of desire is to go on a day trip out of town and spend some time in nature and explore local cafes and restaurants in those areas.