Food Anyone else feeling the food price pinch?

Chiara, I have a veggie plot too. But, it's april and the only thing that's coming out is some broccoli, lettuce and asparagus.
I would LOVE to grow avocado.....:love: On the other hand, my plum trees look like they are going to produce bushels and bushels this year.

You have to grow what is native to your area. I live in Florida, so almost anything grows here. Things I can't grow - peaches, apples, pears and cherries I just have to buy when they are in season. Lemons and limes grow in pots in a sunroom if you have one.

We planted tomatoes, spinach, squash, and other veggies, but nothing is growing because of this crazy weather. It's hot one day, cold the next day. Last summer we grew so much spinach and froze it, we didn't have to buy any until last month.

You have to grow what is native to your area. I live in Florida, so almost anything grows here. Things I can't grow - peaches, apples, pears and cherries I just have to buy when they are in season. Lemons and limes grow in pots in a sunroom if you have one.[/quote]

that's how I grow my own limes:shame:

My in-laws do a big garden every year, which we help with and can help ourselves to. Last year I put up enough tomatoes that I still have some left in the freezer. I don't think our tomatoes are going to make as good this year, we've had a bad drought, and finally got a good bit of rain this week. We also have fresh squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers & okra. I live off fresh veggies in the summer.

Grocery prices suck, though. I ran to Food Lion last night to get a few things so I could make chicken salad. I spent $27 & came out with: 2 boxes of cereal, 1/2 dozen eggs, 4 Lean Cuisines, a loaf of Sourdough, sweet relish & 1/2 gallon of milk. The milk was $3.09! :hrmm:
Hubby & I don't go out to eat as much. We used to go every Friday for a nice meal, now it's every other week. We're not financially in a bind, we're just more conscious now where our money is going. Gas prices stink too~ luckily SC is one of the cheapest places for gas, but it's still $3.78 a gallon, and when between you & your husband you have 4 vehicles and all of them are trucks/SUV's, it hurts. We stay at the river on weekends in the summer and have cut down considerably on our boating.
I did read yesterday that gas prices were dropping due to consumer demand going down. People aren't traveling as much and are using less gas, so it looks like the big companies are finally starting to feel it.
I am very thankful right now that I don't have horses. Hay & feed prices have skyrocketed, along with the cost of bedding. Farrier & vet prices are up because of travel expenses, and even tack & equipment costs have increased. I've even heard of people dropping horses off in other people's pastures and abandoning them because they can't afford to feed them. How sad that our country is in such a shambles that even our animals are suffering. :cry:

I'm spending around $500-$600 a month for a family of 5; mainly because I buy fresh fruits and vegi's. Milk is a gallon every 2 days. No soda, no candy, no sweets or bread: if I can make it from scratch, I do. I do roast chicken, beef, lamb, etc and then use the leftovers for sandwiches, and assorted dishes through-out the week. But the fruit, vegi, milk/dairy products are killing us. And honestly, I am NOT giving my kids processed crap because it's cheaper (which it is; by a HUGE amount). So, we just suck it up and deal with it in other ways. Planting a garden in the back for for many of the vegi's I cook with will/does help. But I think from a nutrition standpoint, it is going to get much worse and we are going to see society get MUCH heavier due to the prices of food; GOOD food.

It's ridiculous here in south FL too. I just paid $4.05 a gallon for gas, eggs are $1.69 a dozen, a loaf of bread is $2.59, milk is $4.29 a gallon. I try to get as much fresh fruits & veggies as I can plus meats and it's at least $20 more overall when I shop. It's very scary there's no end in sight. :cursing:

I posted this awhile back in the money and finance section. Explains why food prices have good up so much recently.

http://forum.purseblog.com/money-talks/cost-food-go-up-next-year-heres-why-273873.html

Also, for those living in Asia, start watching your rice prices go thru the roof. Japan is also joining the insanity and plans on turning their rice (food) into fuel.

Here's the article from today's WSJ:

Oil-Dependent Japan Tries Turning Rice Into Fuel

By YUKA HAYASHI
June 25, 2008; Page A10

NIIGATA, Japan -- For decades, Yasuji Tsukada has meticulously tended his terraced rice paddies to grow top-quality rice for Japan's demanding consumers.

Now the 60-year-old farmer faces a new challenge: Grow a new type of rice but spend as little money and labor as possible and ignore its taste and appearance.

Mr. Tsukada is among the 360 farmers in this renowned rice-growing region in central Japan who are on the forefront of an effort to develop a new type of biofuel. A group of Japanese farmer cooperatives, with some government funding, started a project last year to turn rice into ethanol, a fuel that can be mixed with gasoline to power automobiles. The cooperatives have asked farmers such as Mr. Tsukada to start growing cheap, high-yielding rice to be processed at what could be the world's first rice-ethanol plant, to open early next year. The group hopes the experimental factory -- half of whose cost is to be paid for by the government -- will help it determine if rice ethanol is technically and financially feasible.

On the northern island of Hokkaido, Oenon Holdings Inc., an alcoholic-beverage maker that started out as a sake brewery, is building another rice-ethanol plant, also with government assistance. The technology needed to turn rice into ethanol -- also know as grain alcohol -- is very similar to that used to make sake. An Oenon spokesman said the company wants to see over the next five years whether the project will be profitable.

For now, the cost of growing rice is too high to make rice ethanol commercially profitable for farmers, unless the government increases subsidies.

Oil accounts for 44% of Japan's total energy needs, and nearly all of its oil is imported. With oil prices rising, the country is eager to diversify its sources of energy.

While the country imports most of its raw materials and food, it is self-sufficient in rice production, and even has a surplus. A change in the Japanese diet has significantly reduced rice consumption over the past decades, but government subsidies and farmers' persistence have kept rice farming popular. Warehouses are brimming with rice and the countryside is dotted with rice paddies left fallow or converted temporarily to other crops to prevent overproduction.

"We have the land, people and technology to make this happen in Japan," says Shigenori Morita, a professor of agriculture at the University of Tokyo. He estimates Japan could make up to one million kiloliters (264 million gallons) of rice-based ethanol annually -- the equivalent of 1.7% of its gasoline consumption -- by planting crops in idled rice fields. The initial production will be tiny; the new ethanol plant in Niigata will make just 1,000 kiloliters of ethanol a year. The output will be mixed with gasoline and sold at local farmer cooperatives' pumps.

Backers of the experiment say large-scale Japanese rice-for-fuel production won't push up prices, as has been seen elsewhere in the diversion of corn and sugarcane for ethanol production.

As global biofuel output increases -- rising annually by the equivalent of roughly 300,000 barrels per day of oil -- researchers are looking to develop biofuels that use nonfood crops, such as switchgrass and jatropha, to avoid further driving up food prices. But because Japanese rice is expensive -- a result of high production costs and government price controls -- little is exported, and the market is largely self-contained.

Prof. Morita says biofuel rice would contribute to the environment and food safety in Japan by adding greenery to the rural landscape and helping keep paddies in good condition for possible future reconversion to food-rice growth.

But the same things that shape the Japanese rice market -- notably high costs and inefficiencies -- could pose problems for large-scale rice-ethanol production. Most farms are small, family-run operations with just a few hectares of land. (A hectare is 2.47 acres.) And many rice paddies are divided into small lots or laid out in terraces on the sides of mountains, making automation difficult.

Mr. Tsukada had already stopped growing rice for consumption on about three hectares of his 30-hectare farm to qualify for government subsidies. He tried to grow soybeans but the land is too wet and the quality and size of the crops have been less than satisfactory. So when the local farmers cooperative suggested planting rice for ethanol last year, Mr. Tsukada, who works his land with his wife and son, was happy to give it a try.

After a fairly successful fall harvest, Mr. Tsukada has allocated more land to the special rice. He planted the seedlings last month. "They've told us over and over again to switch to soybeans and start growing vegetables," says Mr. Tsukada. "But I'm a rice farmer and I'd rather stick with rice if I can."

Mr. Tsukada has started growing Hokuriku 193 rice, a high-yielding breed that was developed as animal feed. Its stalks grow tall and thick and its output could be as much as 70% higher than the average Japanese rice plant. The biofuel factory in Niigata will use the rice grains to produce alcohol and will power its production machinery using rice husks.

Mr. Tsukada sold his fuel crop at 20 yen per kilogram last year, compared with 230 yen for high-grade food rice. This pays just a small portion of his production cost. For now, temporary incentives and subsidies cover some of the balance, but he thinks he will still come out behind.

"I'd be happy to keep growing biofuel rice," says Mr. Tsukada. "I only wish they will give us a better price."

yeah it's crazy, there are 4 of us and we could probably spend about $100 a week on groceries. what gets me are the families that have 18 children...and go through 4 loaves of bread a day and 2 dozen eggs and 3 gallons of milk....i don't know how people with big families are able to afford just feeding them...let alone the gas to get to the store.

OMG don't get me started, LOL. I really notice whn I am buying groceries for the weekends when we have my DH's no-good, rotten kids. Three teenage boys will destroy a food budget in mere seconds. I was *****ing about it and DH said, What am I supposed to do, tell them not to eat, and I said YES! They can eat when they get back to their mother's house!! Of course I am just kidding but it really is amazing how much those kids can consume.

Recently I've been buying more generic products. I've always bought generic for trash bags, aluminum foil, etc. but not food. I must say that I'm not impressed with a lot of the generic food I've bought. I like the generic cereals but so far hated the generic pickles, margarine, and devil's food cakes! I'll continue to try some different products but I may just got back to my usual brands.

Just moved from AZ to Indianapolis and there is such a drastic difference in prices! This should help us out greatly. The funny thing is, on the week of our move and drive out here we did fast food everynight! We were both fed for under $3! Our order varied from 5 chicken fingers for a dollar, cup of chili, or a baked potato. All of these items were actually quite "healthy" and even under 300 calories! It sure helped us cut back on expenses!

Back to groceries, Milk is only $2 a gallon, and we only need about a half gallon a week (0.98). We tend to buy stuff according to sales and plan a week out when the ads arrive. I also will shop at Wal-mart, but have realized that most of the supermarkets have better doorbuster sales. When there is a great deal we stock up and freeze. And, I kinda think we've gotten some great deals lately. Unfortunately, when we moved we had to throw out about 5 lbs of cheese, 4 steaks, seabass, tilapia, 6 lbs of b/s chicken breast, and a whole chicken! We couldn't donate it because it was past the use by or freeze date, believe me, we tried!

I just discovered this store called Meijer, which seems to be just like wallys but cleaner. There are also Aldi's here, which was mentioned, but my Mom will not go there. I'll have to venture there myself!

I am not ashamed to admit I use coupons, it is something that I discovered on my own and I really shocked my Mom. I used to be embarrased to hold up the line, but I dont care anymore. A dollar saved is a dollar earned, or part of a new splurge!

We are just about to begin a huge remodel on our whole house and will be tearing up the kitchen. I am not quite what we are going to do with a mini-fridge, microwave, and hotplate. This should be very interesting!

It's funny to read your post because I moved to Arizona from Michigan 7 years ago and lived there for 6 years before moving back to Michigan. Meijer is a Michigan based store and I missed it so much when we were in Arizona. Not just for the cheaper prices - Fryes is a RIP OFF, BTW:tdown:, but I liked the ability to run to the grocery in the middle of the night if you needed to.

To the OP, I have been complaining to anyone who will listen about grocery prices too. I do like being able to go to Farmer's Markets for eggs and produce in the summer because it really is cheaper and fresher to boot. That helps. I also notice that sometimes its more cost efficient to buy something at Trader Joes and other times its not so I have been trying to keep a list to keep track. I also have started going to the dollar store and buying name brand cleaner products. I used to buy my son the frozen waffles or pancakes at TJs but now I try to make a batch of each every week or two and freeze them....Little things like that to save money. Between groceries and gas, there is no room left anymore for luxury items. :tdown: You're right about cereal, which I never really liked or bought before. But for some reason, being pregnant, I have been craving cereal so have been buying it a lot and it really adds up too.

It's funny to read your post because I moved to Arizona from Michigan 7 years ago and lived there for 6 years before moving back to Michigan. Meijer is a Michigan based store and I missed it so much when we were in Arizona. Not just for the cheaper prices - Fryes is a RIP OFF, BTW:tdown:, but I liked the ability to run to the grocery in the middle of the night if you needed to.

Well, we've been here for nearly three months and have fallen in love with the Meijer that is nearby. Some of the other branches are a tad skethcy, but thats like everything! Funny you mentioned Fry's! I really miss that store, and since it's owned by Kroger I found that they had great deals!

We haven't been able to do any cooking since the kitchen has been demo'ed for weeks as we have had issues with cabinets, appliances, and granite. Oy, it's been hell, but we are promised our new kitchen by August 1st.

I haven't paid any attention to the ads, for obvious reasons, but I have noticed some insane 'doorbuster deals"! 0.98 for a dozen xl eggs! 1.99 for a gallon of milk.......