Anyone collect vintage Dooney & Bourkes?

odonono

Jan 6, 2013
I bought my first for $35 and am loving it! I see alot of older Dooneys on my local reselling apps for cheap. A little beat up but I'm not worried about it. I'm not sure if it's technically vintage, but it isn't current.

I bought my first for $35 and am loving it! I see alot of older Dooneys on my local reselling apps for cheap. A little beat up but I'm not worried about it. I'm not sure if it's technically vintage, but it isn't current.
Do you have any pictures? I do not collect vintage bags, but I had a few donated to an auction we are having for a French Bulldog rescue I'm with. The vintage Dooney's are beautiful when cared for. And I have even rehabbed one this past weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4971.JPG
    IMG_4971.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: luv2bfab
Hi ! I would so love to own a vi rage bag but I can never find one in my area. New Jersey. How do you find them? I'm not a ebay person.
I've found most of mine on eBay, a few on Etsy, Mercari, and other sites. Horsekeeping.com is a very reputable seller and has a great selection, if you don't mind paying a bit more. (I've bought one bag there.)
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Dooney/Dooney-Bourke.htm

Reactions: luv2bfab
Do you have any pictures? I do not collect vintage bags, but I had a few donated to an auction we are having for a French Bulldog rescue I'm with. The vintage Dooney's are beautiful when cared for. And I have even rehabbed one this past weekend.

Oh those are beautiful! I particularly love the one in the middle! Here's mine. I may have paid a bit too much but I'm not worried, at $35 I didn't waste too much:smile: It does have some damage on the strap. The pebbled leather is immaculate, I guess that's the great thing about AWL!
18881763_307284079714152_3407320096922677568_n.jpg

I have treated the leather with Leather CPR that was purchased for $15 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I've used it on the straps and am by no means an expert rehab person. The purse in the middle was the one in the worst shape. The others were pretty much fine. I finished it off by putting a coat of my Brahmin purse conditioner on it. I think it just gives them an extra shine to it. But that middle bag was a bit rough looking and the strap in particular. I'll share pictures of the before. I had the dunk the bag in water with a little Dawn dish soap and let it sit. I found this out all by reading the rehab post. Then I put I towel in it to soak up as much water as possible and set it outside. The interior has a ton of pen marks, but they did lighten up. But the exterior cleaned up very nicely. I worked on it and several other bags this weekend. I've been cleaning bags for about 6 weeks now preparing for this auction. I've learned so much reading these forums. I just joined, but it seems anytime I was looking online to see if I could DIY clean something it brought me to these forums. So much information here. I should have joined 6 weeks ago.

Oh those are beautiful! I particularly love the one in the middle! Here's mine. I may have paid a bit too much but I'm not worried, at $35 I didn't waste too much:smile: It does have some damage on the strap. The pebbled leather is immaculate, I guess that's the great thing about AWL!
View attachment 3720904
That's a pretty bag. I am not 100% sure either what is vintage and what is not. I thought one DB bag that was donated was vintage because of the style and because the person who donated it also donated the black vintage bag shown above. It was in excellent condition, so I just assumed both were vintage bags. Wrong. The other is a newer bag and if I knew by DB charms better I would have automatically known this. Cute little crossbody, but definitely not vintage.

Attachments

• 18557422_1511730232195143_4050145315775618526_n.jpg
    18557422_1511730232195143_4050145315775618526_n.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 270
What do you do to rehab them? I posted about the care required for AWL but hadn't gotten a response yet :smile:
Here is what the AWL bag in the middle looked like on Friday when it arrived at my house. I started working on it Friday night and was done by Sunday evening. I really did let the bag soak up as much Leather CPR as it wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_4746.JPG
    IMG_4746.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_4744.JPG
    IMG_4744.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 286
You can just dunk them in water? So the leather trim is safe with water too?

I have treated the leather with Leather CPR that was purchased for $15 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I've used it on the straps and am by no means an expert rehab person. The purse in the middle was the one in the worst shape. The others were pretty much fine. I finished it off by putting a coat of my Brahmin purse conditioner on it. I think it just gives them an extra shine to it. But that middle bag was a bit rough looking and the strap in particular. I'll share pictures of the before. I had the dunk the bag in water with a little Dawn dish soap and let it sit. I found this out all by reading the rehab post. Then I put I towel in it to soak up as much water as possible and set it outside. The interior has a ton of pen marks, but they did lighten up. But the exterior cleaned up very nicely. I worked on it and several other bags this weekend. I've been cleaning bags for about 6 weeks now preparing for this auction. I've learned so much reading these forums. I just joined, but it seems anytime I was looking online to see if I could DIY clean something it brought me to these forums. So much information here. I should have joined 6 weeks ago.

You can just dunk them in water? So the leather trim is safe with water too?
Yes. These bags are made to basically be indestructible. I dunk that bag in water with just a little Dawn liquid dish soap for 20 minutes. I drained the sink and pulled it out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and scrubbed the interior with the toothbrush and washcloth. Then I rinsed the entire thing inside and outside. I turned the faucet on and just let it run inside the bag afterwards. I let it just drain for a good 15-20 minutes after that. I took a towel to soak up the rest really well. I let it sit with another towel overnight with a fan on it and put it outside the next morning. It sat on my patio until it was mostly dry. Then I brought it in and started conditioning it. I used about 2 good coats of Leather CPR on the bag itself and probably 4-5 layers on that dried out strap and trim.

*** I also took it all apart after the initial soak. I cleaned the brass parts and straightened out the leather strap for the fob.

Reactions: Jacswood08
Yes. These bags are made to basically be indestructible. I dunk that bag in water with just a little Dawn liquid dish soap for 20 minutes. I drained the sink and pulled it out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and scrubbed the interior with the toothbrush and washcloth. Then I rinsed the entire thing inside and outside. I turned the faucet on and just let it run inside the bag afterwards. I let it just drain for a good 15-20 minutes after that. I took a towel to soak up the rest really well. I let it sit with another towel overnight with a fan on it and put it outside the next morning. It sat on my patio until it was mostly dry. Then I brought it in and started conditioning it. I used about 2 good coats of Leather CPR on the bag itself and probably 4-5 layers on that dried out strap and trim.

*** I also took it all apart after the initial soak. I cleaned the brass parts and straightened out the leather strap for the fob.
You did an amazing job. Congratulations.

Reactions: monleal