Anyone collect vintage Dooney & Bourkes?

Hi ! I would so love to own a vi rage bag but I can never find one in my area. New Jersey. How do you find them? I'm not a ebay person.
MJ: The AWL used in Dooney vintage handbags can make them heavy because the leather is very thick. They made the AWL by shrinking the leather.... so there is more leather per square inch than in normal pebbled leather. For those of us with handbag weight concerns, it's something to consider. The handbags are classic and beautiful, but they can be heavy.

I just discovered a new rehab approach for vintage dooneys. I have rehabbed 2 now and haven't done any dunking- too nervous to do it. BUT, with leather CPR AND cow tallow, the british tan responds sooo well. I just worked on a vintage AWL and it had many scratches and nicks in the british tan leather- no longer visible. Worn areas are refreshed and protected with the cow tallow.

I've sold off a lot of my collection that I wasn't using, but will post the collection photos here anyway for reference. I love quality bags, and you just can't beat the vintage all weather leather bags.

There used to be a gentleman that used to post here, and his wife had an amazing collection of vintage Dooneys. He used to take a daily photo of her on her way to work with her bag. Anyone else remember that? I'll have to see if I can find that thread, it was a great resource.

Also pictured individually are the bags I've kept: Equestrian large shoulder bag in black/British Tan, Medium Surrey in British Tan/British Tan (been carrying this one the past couple of days), Small Satchel in taupe/British Tan, Shoulder Satchel in British Tan/British Tan, Teton bucket in Rouge & navy with ivy green trim, wallet in Olive brown with burnt cedar trim.

Attachments

• dooney1.jpg
    dooney1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 331
  • equestrian.jpg
    equestrian.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 268
  • surrey.jpg
    surrey.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 268
  • satchel.jpg
    satchel.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 277
  • teton.jpg
    teton.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 269
  • collection2.jpg
    collection2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 348
  • satchel2.jpg
    satchel2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I've sold off a lot of my collection that I wasn't using, but will post the collection photos here anyway for reference. I love quality bags, and you just can't beat the vintage all weather leather bags.

There used to be a gentleman that used to post here, and his wife had an amazing collection of vintage Dooneys. He used to take a daily photo of her on her way to work with her bag. Anyone else remember that? I'll have to see if I can find that thread, it was a great resource.

Also pictured individually are the bags I've kept: Equestrian large shoulder bag in black/British Tan, Medium Surrey in British Tan/British Tan (been carrying this one the past couple of days), Small Satchel in taupe/British Tan, Shoulder Satchel in British Tan/British Tan, Teton bucket in Rouge & navy with ivy green trim, wallet in Olive brown with burnt cedar trim.

Wow, beautiful collection! How did you acquire them? I have 6 dooneys and 3 of them are vintage AWL bags that I found on etsy and ebay. I am amazed at how well the AWL vintage bags clean up. They are just such well made, sophisticated and practical bags. I find it hard to know the names of my particular bags because there seems to be so many similar but different varieties.

Found that thread I was talking about! Tons of great pictures here for vintage style references: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/explorations-in-vintage-dooney-bourke.751690/ - she has a stunning collection!

Wow, beautiful collection! How did you acquire them? I have 6 dooneys and 3 of them are vintage AWL bags that I found on etsy and ebay. I am amazed at how well the AWL vintage bags clean up. They are just such well made, sophisticated and practical bags. I find it hard to know the names of my particular bags because there seems to be so many similar but different varieties.

Thanks! I have had quite a few over the years, but sold off the ones I did not really carry to focus on the ones I truly loved. The majority of mine came from estate & garage sales, with a few Craigslist & flea market finds thrown in. I like bargains, lol. I suggest the horsekeeping website (just google, "Paula Dooney horsekeeping") to look up styles - she has a lot of Dooney knowledge & a great database of styles & colors there. I have a lot of designer bags that run the gamut of price ranges, but honestly the vintage Dooneys are some of the best quality I've encountered, at any price point. You just can't beat that heavy, durable leather, and made in USA. I'd love to see photos of your collection!

Reactions: Lisacrazy4ducks

You have an amazing collection. And they all look pristine.

After seeing all these lovely vintage Dooney handbags, I'm not going to part with anymore of my Dooneys. The ones I have given away are the ones I don't think I will use.... either because of style or fabric or weight. But from now on, I'm just going to have to find room to keep all the Dooney leather handbags. If I have to make room and part with something, it will be fabric or nylon.

Reactions: pmburk
Found that thread I was talking about! Tons of great pictures here for vintage style references: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/explorations-in-vintage-dooney-bourke.751690/ - she has a stunning collection!

Thanks! I have had quite a few over the years, but sold off the ones I did not really carry to focus on the ones I truly loved. The majority of mine came from estate & garage sales, with a few Craigslist & flea market finds thrown in. I like bargains, lol. I suggest the horsekeeping website (just google, "Paula Dooney horsekeeping") to look up styles - she has a lot of Dooney knowledge & a great database of styles & colors there. I have a lot of designer bags that run the gamut of price ranges, but honestly the vintage Dooneys are some of the best quality I've encountered, at any price point. You just can't beat that heavy, durable leather, and made in USA. I'd love to see photos of your collection!

Thanks for the link! I have a question about storing the handbags between uses. I am currently using S hooks in my closet- I only have 6 dooneys and 3 other handbags so I like to be able to see/use all of them whenever I would like. I'm a little nervous about hanging the bags from their straps/handles long term- any feedback on whether this is an issue for organizing/storing them? I don't want to wear out the leather from hanging in those spots but using the S hooks in the closet is a convenient way to display them as I don't have many shelving options to set them all on. Thoughts?

Thanks for the link! I have a question about storing the handbags between uses. I am currently using S hooks in my closet- I only have 6 dooneys and 3 other handbags so I like to be able to see/use all of them whenever I would like. I'm a little nervous about hanging the bags from their straps/handles long term- any feedback on whether this is an issue for organizing/storing them? I don't want to wear out the leather from hanging in those spots but using the S hooks in the closet is a convenient way to display them as I don't have many shelving options to set them all on. Thoughts?
If a handbag can withstand being carried by it's strap/handles when it is loaded up, then empty, or with a light weight paper stuffing it should be ok. If you use dust bags you could hang the handbags by the string on the dust bag and relieve all pressure on the leather itself.

Reactions: Catbird9
I read somewhere that you shouldn't hang bags by their straps long term. It stresses the leather and creates a bend. Dust bags are the recommended way to go.

That being said, I don't use dust bags myself. I like to see my bags! So I keep them on a shelf in my closet, stuffed with tissue paper, and wipe them off regularly.

After seeing all these lovely vintage Dooney handbags, I'm not going to part with anymore of my Dooneys. The ones I have given away are the ones I don't think I will use.... either because of style or fabric or weight. But from now on, I'm just going to have to find room to keep all the Dooney leather handbags. If I have to make room and part with something, it will be fabric or nylon.

Yep, don't do it!

I have over the past year been zen-ing myself out into minimizing what I already have and consuming less.
I THOUGHT I was ready to let go of the Dooneys (I had already culled a lot of other brands) but the Dooney AWLs I totally regret. Now I'm buying the same or similar back, and just paid twice what I originally had to pay for one of the briefcases. Yeah, it's in better condition but not twice as good, it's a different color, etc.
It's been a giant regret and I too will NOT do it again. I've rented a storage unit and I'm setting up garage-style shelving in there and all the handbags and luggage are going in it (it's HVAC and humidity-controlled).

I'm just not going to be able to be spartan about Dooneys. But really, I'm still minimalist. It's not about only having x number of possessions,it's making sure the possessions you have are adding to your life and being useful. Not having stuff just unmindfully.

My Dooneys are useful to me in many ways. I had to lose a bunch of them to realize it!

Hi all! I'm still familiarizing myself with this forum and have enjoyed looking through the posts. I wanted to post a photo of all my Dooneys, several of which are vintage. I love older things in general - usually so well made with so much character. Some have been gifts over the years but others have been my own finds. My most recent was a Christmas gift this year- the Loden saddle bag I believe it is. I'm still learning what the names are for my bags so if anyone can comment on what I have, I'd appreciate the feedback and info.

Attachments

• PXL_20231229_195747310.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231229_195747310.MP.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231229_195915160.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231229_195915160.MP.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: