Anyone Carry their Birkins Closed?

Hello Crazy,

I'd love to hear more about why the stamp should never be seen. Interesting. It seems like 99% of carriers wear their B wrong then. Enlighten please. :biggrin:

I guess it's one of my pet peeves, I really hate logos and anything that shows off ;) I guess if Hermès had wanted the stamp to be seen they would have put it on the flap and not under ... It's a bit like wearing a coat inside out with the label showing ;)
But to each it's own....

I can completely relate to the aversion to logos, but i think the bag itself is recognizable before anyone sees the stamp. Ideally they should have put the stamp on the inside (the real inside) of the bag...say above the pocket. But at least they made it tiny and relatively discreet compared to other brands. But, hey, just another reason to buy Barenia...it's heatstamped and barely noticeable :tup:

Reactions: obsessedwhermes
I can completely relate to the aversion to logos, but i think the bag itself is recognizable before anyone sees the stamp. Ideally they should have put the stamp on the inside (the real inside) of the bag...say above the pocket. But at least they made it tiny and relatively discreet compared to other brands. But, hey, just another reason to buy Barenia...it's heatstamped and barely noticeable :tup:

To that , I totally agree :cool:
Who is the horse in your avatar ? Gorgeous !

I like mine open and love the stamp!
It's a practical way to carry the bag I put the sleeper in as a liner and alway pull at the strings to creat a safe pouch for my things!
So yeah I think I'm tacky to show off the stamp but my 60 hour work week may excuse a little bit of that!
Really it's a perfect time to say to each their own.

I guess it's one of my pet peeves, I really hate logos and anything that shows off ;) I guess if Hermès had wanted the stamp to be seen they would have put it on the flap and not under ... It's a bit like wearing a coat inside out with the label showing ;)
But to each it's own....

I don't see how a little logo is "showing off". Unless someone gets right up to the bag, it can't even be read. And if they don't recognize the bag, then they probably are not familiar with the Hermès name anyway. The Birkin is a pretty powerful status symbol to those who recognize the style, so hiding the logo behind the flap will not make it less so.

I most often wear the bag in a way that is the most convenient for me, which is with the flap tucked inside.

"Flapping wide open for me.":biggrin:I always forget to do my straps. I never really carry my B when in large crowds. I like a shoulder strap option then.:flowers:

If the stamp shouldn't be seen, it should've been put on the interior of the bag. Otherwise, even it you carry the bag "correctly" you will still be flashing the Hermes stamp everytime you open the bag;)

I never carry mine closed, except on the very few occasions that I take it on the airplane. I prefer the boxy tote look that you get when it's open, and I bought it specifically to use as an open top tote; plus I can fit a lot more inside when it's open. And it goes without saying that it's a pain in the rear to maneuver the three parts of the flap around the handles and over the turnlock (especially on a box Birkin).

Agree with this completely...what's proper or correct depends on the carrier....who is to say the stamp shouldnt be seen....?? Sheesh....

Reactions: Lola191978
Casually and locally I carry mine open always, but out in crowds, flap in straps closed, easy to get your hand in and out, but not readily available to anyone else. Often carry a shawl on top too, squashed in if closed and sitting over everything when open.

The stamp issue is very personal but i think with time it has become a part of the birkin look, that said i do think that just as the kelly the birkin was never meant to be worn Open then again why would they make it right ????? But if you think about it has become soooo important that when the kelly pochette came out to not clutter the the look the bag was given an inside stamp, but when the Kelly wallet came out it was given I tiny stamp over the HW because people saw the pochette and asked where's the stamp????. I don't mind it showing personally but that is why a birkin with a stamp that is not perfection is not worth buying. if it's light bleeding unclear and on croc and ostrich interrupted by the skin I generally reject the bag. If it's going to show it has to be perfection just like the rest of the bag. With kellys it's a different story. Hope it helps.birkel.

i carry my birkin open all the time without thinking because it is just that kinda bag but had to keep reminding myself to close it - flap out, over the turnkey - when i am in public places with lots of people walking by or standing close because a few of my friends have gotten pickpocketed recently whilst carrying their open top bags...