Any tPF civilians "packing?"

Caj, I work in domestic violence family law and have a PowerPoint (I used it to guest lecture at a local law school) of a woman who was shot in the face by her boyfriend and had the entire front of her skull blown off (she survived!). I feel for your guy in the hospital. I did some shadowing and saw the results of fistulas, and they are not fun.

The current big news story on domestic violence is the little special needs girl who took six bullets for her mom when the ex-boyfriend (a felon who had NO business with a gun) kidnapped and shot them both. These are the people with guns that we should be worried about.

I'm not saying I am carrying or will carry mine everywhere...just in certain situations. I have it mainly for home protection.

I'm chuckling away at the thought of one of you ladies pulling a Glock out of your Birkins to defend your family, your SA, your Birkin! :P

I live in Australia, so really strict gun laws, almost impossible for anyone to legally acquire a handgun. Before the gun laws changed, I was comfortable with rifles and handguns, could use them, good shot but didn't carry one around with me.

I think you have to acknowledge the realities of the risks you face. Wherever you are. I've been assaulted twice, once when I was in high school, once when I was at uni. Same MO both times: some guy decides to grab me, and I assume not because he's looking for a Scrabble partner. I'm pretty intolerant towards men in general (sorry, studied law, criminal and family law are a pretty depressing introduction to the male gender) and, for a pretty mild person, 5'2", 55kg, I became absolutely enraged both times. Weird, but all I could think was "This is ABSOLUTELY not going to happen to me!" I scratched and bit and punched and was just lucky that in both cases, the wankers were total cowards and I was able to get away...

Would I have been as lucky if either guy had a gun? I really don't think so.

I do own a gun - a .380. It's small, just right for my hands. I don't carry it. I keep it in the nightstand drawer (DF and I do not have kids yet). I sell vacant land, so I'm out in the middle of nowhere a lot. It's really for protection from weirdos and rattlesnakes. :smile: DF sleeps with his 9mm (a round is never chambered). I finally got him to relocate it from under his pillow to the nightstand. There's nothing that kills the mood like putting your hand on or under his pillow and finding a gun!

I am currently trying to get a CHL. I carry my Walther PPK/ S .380 anyways...it's small and just right. Hopefully I never have to use it and if I do...I won't miss.

Since it's so small and cute, I sometimes want to strass it out with pink and red swarovski crystals :giggles:

I first learned how to shoot when I was in high school. My ex-husband was a gun collector so he knew how to handle and shoot variety of firearms. When my state started allowing conceal/carry permits, I was the first in line to get one. Personally, I like target shooting as a sport but also, when I was single, I carried it with me always, for safety reasons. If some guy attacked me their is no way I could fight him off(I'm not athletic and very petite). I dont carry at the moment because I live in a different state now that doesn't allow to carry concealed but I have one for home protection(a .22, its small, light and easy to handle).
For anyone who heard "if you own a gun, you can get shot by intruder who will take it away from you", know this-this will happen if you will let him get too close and don't have the guts to shoot him. If you own a gun, you have to be able shoot to kill. That's what most cops will tell you-unless you are a marksman, don't shoot to wound someone because you can miss. If you don't think you can shoot an attacker, you shouldn't be owning a gun.
And if I may add that states with highest violent crime rates like homocide/ rape/home invasion are the states that do not allow conceal/carry and have very strict gun laws. Criminals will always have the guns and other weapons, obtained illegally and law obiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves and their families(and yes, i do think that mandatory gun couses should be required before anyone buys a gun).
And to one of the other posters who was talking about a guy who wanted to kill himself and messed it up-if someone wants to kill himself, he will find other means if guns are not available. Gun is merely a tool, and guns itself are not responsible for violence. People are.

I never carry a gun in my purse. What if someone snatched my purse? My gun is useless to me if someone else has it. If I carry, it is always on my person. BTW, I carry a Glock 19.