Any tips on establishing a relationship with an SA?

It's just not true that one has to spend billions of dollars to get a Birkin. If you get to know a nice SA and you are a reasonable, polite person you have a great chance. It's also quite possible if you chat up an SA & they happen to have some good inventory in (NYC, Paris) you can walk out with a bag your first visit.

I think it's great to purchase small items to learn more about the brand--twillys ($100ish), Mugs ($95) or Teacups, perfume, bracelets, sachets ($50ish), pocket squares ($100), Ulysses w/ photo inserts ($150ish)

You can also find great, gorgeous pre-owned Kellys through resellers. I've seen GORGEOUS Kellys for $1800-2500.

what i don't understand is why sometimes people have to be "offered" a birkin. if there's one in the store, and someone is interested and can pay for it, why not just sell it? i guess they are worried about resellers.
I don't think it's always about resellers. :smile: I think there are other reasons that they behave like this. And you are right. It would make so much sense to just sell the bag. Sometimes it is an issue of them wanting to keep things local. Sometimes they want to keep bags for "loyal" customers...meaning those who buy more than birkins. The ladies on this forum have mentioned quite a bit that it's almost like a "reward" for being interested in the brand and not just interested in a popular bag. :yes:

Thanks for all the great advice. I've been researching everything I can around here and feel that I know what I want and don't want in terms of size, leathers, and stitching. I'm only lost on hardware. But I'm looking forward to my first Hermes store visit!