Arts & Crafts Any knitters?

I knit but I don't consider myself a knitter. I am currently working on two separate scarves because I fell in love with the colour of the wool and decided I should have something in that scheme. Basics only for me. I started a shawl two years ago and it's still sitting there. I think I will commission by boss' wife to make me a little jacket and finish it off with a dyed to match fur collar.
Most of my knitting "talents" right now are used for my mother, who at age 67 has decided to take up knitting. That would be cool except she's visually impaired so her knitting is a little umm... how to put this delicately... uh... awful? LOL. I see her once a week and fix the holes, added and dropped stitches, and cast off for her. She's all over this knitted dishcloths thing for the seniors centre. We have a good laugh over her skills every week. In fact I should be fixing one of her famous dishcloths right now instead of on TPF.
When I get home Wednesday night I'll post a photo of the gorgeous jewel-toned yarns I'm working with.
Please share yours.

I am a knitter, but not an expert. I have been knitting for over 40 years! My grandmother taught me when I was very young. I can knit just about anything, but I am a lazy knitter and do not like to stress over my projects.
I used to make sweaters for myself but now I do the occasional baby gift and that's about it.

Oh, there are a couple of you...:woohoo: I love to knit, but don't do as much as I used to due to arthritis in my hands and neck. I also reserve my knitting to the Fall and Winter months. I can't get into knitting in the summer. I have knitted many sweaters, hats, scarfs etc. over the years. I like to try new patterns, yarn and learn new stitches.
I recently learned how to do Lace patterns and love it! It's so easy once you figure out the techniques. I also love to try new yarns.
Years ago I had a friend who raised and showed Collies also. She had saved a lot of her Collie's undercoat that she brushed out and sent it to a lady who spun it into beautiful yarn. I started saving the undercoat from my own dogs until I had three large cloth laundry bags full. Some of the dogs had passed to the Rainbow Bridge when I finally had enough of the undercoat saved to spin a good amount of yarn. I sent the undercoat fiber to a spinner last year. She mixed it with sheep's wool, washed, carded and spun it into the most GORGEOUS yarn. (before anyone asks, no it does not smell like dog!)
The natural colors from all three colors of my Collies, plus the white coat from their white collar markings make it a beautiful varigated color. The yarn is soft and fun to knit with. Now I have some wonderful yarn that contains undercoat from my precious Collies that have passed away, a lovely keepsake and part of them to keep.
I knitted a scarf and hat set in a lacy Chevron pattern when I got the yarn. I'll post a picture of the set. It came out incredibly beautiful. I am still looking for the perfect pattern to knit the rest of the yarn.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q506/Collies56/knitting/

LOL - I just realized there were these different forums. I'm a knitter and crocheter. Although, it's been months since I picked up my needles. I lost my mojo somewhere. I'm on ravelry but haven't spent too much time there lately. I used to watch knitting podcasts a lot but seldom do anymore. I need to spend more time doing that and less time on these forums and YT!!

Oh, there are a couple of you...:woohoo: I love to knit, but don't do as much as I used to due to arthritis in my hands and neck. I also reserve my knitting to the Fall and Winter months. I can't get into knitting in the summer. I have knitted many sweaters, hats, scarfs etc. over the years. I like to try new patterns, yarn and learn new stitches.
I recently learned how to do Lace patterns and love it! It's so easy once you figure out the techniques. I also love to try new yarns.
Years ago I had a friend who raised and showed Collies also. She had saved a lot of her Collie's undercoat that she brushed out and sent it to a lady who spun it into beautiful yarn. I started saving the undercoat from my own dogs until I had three large cloth laundry bags full. Some of the dogs had passed to the Rainbow Bridge when I finally had enough of the undercoat saved to spin a good amount of yarn. I sent the undercoat fiber to a spinner last year. She mixed it with sheep's wool, washed, carded and spun it into the most GORGEOUS yarn. (before anyone asks, no it does not smell like dog!)
The natural colors from all three colors of my Collies, plus the white coat from their white collar markings make it a beautiful varigated color. The yarn is soft and fun to knit with. Now I have some wonderful yarn that contains undercoat from my precious Collies that have passed away, a lovely keepsake and part of them to keep.
I knitted a scarf and hat set in a lacy Chevron pattern when I got the yarn. I'll post a picture of the set. It came out incredibly beautiful. I am still looking for the perfect pattern to knit the rest of the yarn.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q506/Collies56/knitting/

I'm a little late but just wanted to say you do beautiful work! I have never even tried to knit and am amazed at those of you that can pick up some yarn and turn it into something so pretty!

ME! And if you are not already a member, you should definitely join Ravelry!

I might have to check it out. What is it? Is it like a board with threads etc?
I haven't started my knitting this year yet. I usually am too active outdoors in the summer for knitting. It's something I do in the fall and winter, but it's been SO hot still here in Northern California that I haven't yet picked up my knitting needles. I still need to find a great pattern for all my Collie fur yarn. I was pleased with how the Collie fur yarn scarf and hat set turned out. Thank you for all the compliments on it. It's very special, since it contain the undercoat fur from all my Collies that have passed away. The lady who spins the Collie fur yarn for me calls it my "Rainbow Bridge" yarn.

Boards too, but also a database of yarns, project, etc.
Plus, if you are in NorCal, you might want to check out Stitches West. It is usually held in Santa Clara (Convention Center on Great America Pkwy). Unbelievably busy, but you can get so many great deals and see so many yarns in "real" life (pet them, etc.)

BeautyAddict58 said:
Boards too, but also a database of yarns, project, etc.
Plus, if you are in NorCal, you might want to check out Stitches West. It is usually held in Santa Clara (Convention Center on Great America Pkwy). Unbelievably busy, but you can get so many great deals and see so many yarns in "real" life (pet them, etc.)

Wow...thank you for the information!

I am a new knitter, I just started a year ago. I tried to knit during my teens but couldn't get the hang of it. So far I have only knit using basic stitches but I am eager to advance to more complicated designs. The problem I have is I knit tight and things come out smaller. So I always up the needle size by half or full.

I purchase Debbie Bliss's magazine and I have just subscribed to Rowan.

Would love to see more things fellow tpfers have created.

Edt... The chevron hat and scarf looks fab. Love the yarn.