Arts & Crafts Any knitters?

My dear old mum tried to teach me to knit when I was young but I'm a leftie and she was right-handed. She was also an incredibly fast knitter so couldn't slow down enough and reverse it to teachme so in the end I taught myself from a book.
My mother never used patterns, she simply had a myriad of stitches stored in her memory and a notebook in her knitting bag with the measurements of my father and all eight of us kids: if she spotted some wool that took her fancy she could knit a cardigan in an evening.
I did a lot of knitting when my son was little but not so much in more recent years until last year, when a major health issue meant I had to cut back on the hours I was working. I broke out the old needles for the first time in many years and am enjoying the relaxation of knitting.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200313490460349&set=a.2587865496376.2149585.1246728910&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F472542_10200313490460349_1692570086_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F530419_10200313490460349_1692570086_n.jpg&size=2048%2C1536

Hi everyone, I've been knitting like crazy for the past few months since I started working for a yarn store. I'm making a sweater top down with a technique called contiguous shoulders. I hope I spelled it right it's a top down with set in sleeves instead of a raglan. I am so obsessed! Can't wait to finish to see the end result. The pattern is a free one on ravelry called On the Beach. I definitely recommend it if someone hates to sew up a sweater at the end.

My dear old mum tried to teach me to knit when I was young but I'm a leftie and she was right-handed. She was also an incredibly fast knitter so couldn't slow down enough and reverse it to teachme so in the end I taught myself from a book.
My mother never used patterns, she simply had a myriad of stitches stored in her memory and a notebook in her knitting bag with the measurements of my father and all eight of us kids: if she spotted some wool that took her fancy she could knit a cardigan in an evening.
I did a lot of knitting when my son was little but not so much in more recent years until last year, when a major health issue meant I had to cut back on the hours I was working. I broke out the old needles for the first time in many years and am enjoying the relaxation of knitting.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200313490460349&set=a.2587865496376.2149585.1246728910&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F472542_10200313490460349_1692570086_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F530419_10200313490460349_1692570086_n.jpg&size=2048%2C1536

I'm trying to learn how to knit and I'm finding it kind of hard. I think it may be because I'm lefty too! I've been watching video after video, but still can't master a basic stitch. Any tips?

I'm trying to learn how to knit and I'm finding it kind of hard. I think it may be because I'm lefty too! I've been watching video after video, but still can't master a basic stitch. Any tips?

Keep practicing!! Maybe you can find a knitter who will slow down enough for you to watch what goes on. Concentrate first on the knit stitch then move to the purl. Even when you know what to do sometimes it takes time for your hands to learn the best way to hold the needles, yarn and your project all at the same time. So just keep at it till it clicks in :smile:

Keep practicing!! Maybe you can find a knitter who will slow down enough for you to watch what goes on. Concentrate first on the knit stitch then move to the purl. Even when you know what to do sometimes it takes time for your hands to learn the best way to hold the needles, yarn and your project all at the same time. So just keep at it till it clicks in :smile:

I hope I get it soon. I have a co-worker who has offered to help. I may take advantage fo that. I just want to knit for fun/stress relief!

I'm kind of old, so it's all a bit of a distant memory now! Although, I did find knitting in front of a mirror helped ... I could watch what I was doing and because it was a mirror image, it looked the same as the instructions in the book.:smile:

I'm kind of old, so it's all a bit of a distant memory now! Although, I did find knitting in front of a mirror helped ... I could watch what I was doing and because it was a mirror image, it looked the same as the instructions in the book.:smile:

Thanks for the advice! I looked at tons of youtube videos yesterday and the day before and it finally clicked! I just have to keep practicing.

Thanks for the advice! I looked at tons of youtube videos yesterday and the day before and it finally clicked! I just have to keep practicing.

Yeah!!! Keep going your fingers will soon be knitting without you having to think about it. Then the possibilities are endless. If you come across something you don't understand just google or find it on YouTube. I also take out tons of knitting books at the library. Everyone learns differently just remember there are the two stitches in knitting, the knit stitch and the purl. It's how you use them that makes the different look of the fabric.

Could someone please help? I'm just practicing (fairly new here!). So I started to purl and I'm looking at my sample and I don't see a difference in the stitches! Am I doing this wrong? ImageUploadedByPurseForum1374852498.073397.jpg

Another knitter checking in! I've been knitting for about 40 of my 48 years, and I love it. Such a great way to relax and unwind while watching TV.

I haven't been knitting much this summer, though, because of the kitten I rescued back in May. She's very "interactive" and has to be involved with whatever hubby and I are doing, so I think I'll pick up my needles again when she gets a little older. :girlsigh: