Any ideas on how to really top off my current collection?

SophieChic

O.G.
Oct 6, 2011
I guess we all go through our own phases with bag collecting, and tonight as I was replying to another poster's question, it dawned on me that I think I may be close to finally feeling satisfied with my collection. I have a ton of bags, but I have been at a point for the past couple of years where I am only carrying more designer type bags and am gradually selling off the other bags.

With the recent addition of my first LV DE Neverfull, it has added a lovely dark brown option to my collection. Though I have plenty of brown bags I wanted a really nice designer bag and now I have it. I am definately going to add a DA Neverfull because I am simply in love with the bag, and that will put me at nine bags in my rotation. I listed my current rotation below. I feel I have a good mix of neutrals and some color.

However, after the DA Neverfull, I have been pondering one final higher end bag. In my dreams it would be a Birkin, but realistically, I have considered Chanel, Bottega Venetta, Balenciaga, and of course another LV. Any ideas of one final (for a while) special bag to aim for? I really like some of the soft pink shades in the Balenciaga satchels, or maybe even silvery shades, but you guys are familiar with some of the more special prints made by LV as I am a newbie here. I would not be opposed to a pattern, but would like it to be kind of special/unusual. Am also open to ideas from you all who collect other designers. So...current rotation is:

3 Lindseys
-Aegan (green)
-Safflower (soft yellow)
-Crimson (candy apple patent red)

4 Large Sophias
-White
-Black
-Camel (patent)
--Purple op art

LV
-DE Neverfull
-DA Neverfull (planned very soon)

Any suggestions for that final special addition are appreciated. I know some people on here don't like Coach, but obviously I do, so please no disparaging remarks about my current collection. Tell me what bags you guys find really special..... price range between $1000 & $2500 .. In addition to at least an eight or nine inch strap drop, also needs to be a bigger bag, at least fifteen inches long,. At 5'10" I need and love big bags. TIA

Last edited:
I think it is a really nice feeling to know that you are going to be satisfied with your collection and the best way is to top it off with a HG bag. I am there after my birthday present last month - granted I tried on many bags in LV yesterday but it was just for fun - SLG and shoes can occupy me for the moment as I have no bag desires.

My vote is Citadine PM in empriente leather. It's like a neverfull but slimmer. I do love a tote. And the mini pochette is handy. I also love my brea mm. I went with epi electric in noir because I live black patent leather but there are many epi choices and vernis choices.

My other suggestion is the Chanel half moon accordion bag. It's bigger than it looks, has the chain strap that can be doubled up to change the drop/look and transition from day to night really easily. At $2400 it is about as low as it gets for a flap unless you find a seasonal item on sale which is not easy. Here is a picture of mine:

Attachments

• image-1865283694.jpg
    image-1865283694.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 809
  • image-4167440911.jpg
    image-4167440911.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 787
I am in the same boat as you, pretty satisfied with my collection but looking for one last bag. My rotation also currently includes Coach Large Sophias & an LV Neverfull, as well as my new addition, a Mono Speedy B 30.

I need a smaller bag so I'm thinking an LV Eva and then I will be done for a while. My HG LV bag, like someone else mentioned, would be anything in empriente, but currently my price point does not allow for that so I will keep on dreaming :biggrin:

I would skip Balenciaga and go straight to Chanel. I purchased several Balenciagas in the past, which I regret now. In contrast, I'm still enjoying all my Chanel bags, even the ones I purchased zillions of years ago. If you plan to go with another LV, I would suggest the Portobello; it's a beautiful bag IMO. Hope this helps!

I would skip Balenciaga and go straight to Chanel. I purchased several Balenciagas in the past, which I regret now. In contrast, I'm still enjoying all my Chanel bags, even the ones I purchased zillions of years ago. If you plan to go with another LV, I would suggest the Portobello; it's a beautiful bag IMO. Hope this helps!

It does guys, keep 'em coming! May I ask why you would skip Balenciaga? It is overrated? Poor quality? Was it not user friendly for you? I have seen some Bal videos on you tube and I was thinking it looked pretty practcal for my own lifestyle, but would really like to hear your experience.

And thanks to everyone. I have not heard of some of the bags mentioned, so research is on the way. And that Chanel flap bag is just breathtaking! Love love!

I love your posts, just so you know. :biggrin: You are an extremely articulate and thoughtful writer and the fact that you can spell, punctuate, and use proper grammar, all without the awful text message/phone abbreviations, is very refreshing.

And for the record, I love Coach too. My favorite recent purchase is a mens Weekender bag from the Bleecker collection in Chili.

I have collected both Chanel and Balenciaga and find Balenciaga to suit a more casual lifestyle while Chanel works best for the office and polished events. I love the drape of Balenciaga leather once broken-in. They are a dream to carry, very lightweight and comfortable, especially with the new smaller hardware.

I love your posts, just so you know. :biggrin: You are an extremely articulate and thoughtful writer and the fact that you can spell, punctuate, and use proper grammar, all without the awful text message/phone abbreviations, is very refreshing.

And for the record, I love Coach too. My favorite recent purchase is a mens Weekender bag from the Bleecker collection in Chili.

I have collected both Chanel and Balenciaga and find Balenciaga to suit a more casual lifestyle while Chanel works best for the office and polished events. I love the drape of Balenciaga leather once broken-in. They are a dream to carry, very lightweight and comfortable, especially with the new smaller hardware.

You are a sweetheart, that makes my day. I lost my temper in one of my threads the other day and just bailed out of it. I had come home from an exhausting day of working with patients, read some comments that I felt were not very nice, and just left the thread. Some days, I just really need to read TPF to relax and unwind, and I got upset instead. :shame: I am glad you liked your Balenciagas, and my lifestyle, though I love clothes and dressing up, is very casual, due to the type of work that I do, so it may be a fit for me.

I just looked up the emperiente (I may be spelling that wrong, but just learned the word today) because I was unfamiliar with it, and it is beautiful, an incredible bag no doubt. I am seeing some comments that it is heavy, and some stating that they do not make it in a GM version? I think I am probably a GM girl, so if that is true it may limit that option. I love the subtle sig print in the leather of the bag. I adore subtle bags and that is one IMO.

Thanks so much everyone I am always curious as to what others are aspiring to in their collections.

I cannot help with Hermes and Chanel as I don't own one.

If I would choose, I would look into a LV Trevi - that one is a very chic bag with handles and an optional shoulder strap. It fits most occassions and is even in PM large enough to fit all one need.

Another very classic bag without the price of a Hermes is the Celine Luggage. Timeless and wonderful to look at if you look for sth with might stay for a long time.

About Balenciaga, I agree with so above: it has a more casual style. I own two, one in a deep gorgeous bordeaux and a military green one and wouldn't part with either as both are wonderful bags. But as it is a different style.

It does guys, keep 'em coming! May I ask why you would skip Balenciaga? It is overrated? Poor quality? Was it not user friendly for you? I have seen some Bal videos on you tube and I was thinking it looked pretty practcal for my own lifestyle, but would really like to hear your experience.

And thanks to everyone. I have not heard of some of the bags mentioned, so research is on the way. And that Chanel flap bag is just breathtaking! Love love!

Balenciaga has great bags; I still like the Folk and the Day for traveling. Though, my favorite style is Velo. I suggested to skip Balenciaga and to go straight to Chanel, because I think Chanel bags are a better ‘investment’. What I mean with 'investment' is that I enjoy a lot wearing my older Chanel bags, but I don’t feel like wearing my older Balenciaga bags anymore. For example, my Midday GGH looks outdated to me despite I only used it very few times.

Balenciaga has great bags; I still like the Folk and the Day for traveling. Though, my favorite style is Velo. I suggested to skip Balenciaga and to go straight to Chanel, because I think Chanel bags are a better ‘investment’. What I mean with 'investment' is that I enjoy a lot wearing my older Chanel bags, but I don’t feel like wearing my older Balenciaga bags anymore. For example, my Midday GGH looks outdated to me despite I only used it very few times.

Ok, I'm getting your point now. As I mentioned to another Bal owner, I lead a pretty casual lifestyle, and for me, I think the Balenciaga may still be a good final addition for a while. I agree with you.....I think I did use the term investment, and Chanel is definately an investment piece. They are beautiful works of art, but frankly, I am starting to realize, especially after reading these responses, that I may feel a bit overdressed if I went with Chanel. I want a special bag, yes, but for practical purposes. I am single, rarely even get to go to a fancy restauraunt, don't have some high up power position where the Chanel would fit in. I think the Balenciaga would transfer seamlessly from work to play, and I am crazy about all those colors :love: Thanks for the opinions on the Bals, I will check into the models you mentioned. Much thanks to everyone for their imput so far. ;)

Balenciagas! The colours are so pretty and you can transition from work to play! I own both Bbags and Chanels and though I love my Chanels, I am always so paranoid someone might just spill something on them or scratch them.

The new Bleu Mineral City/Part time is very pretty if you are looking for a dark colour. Or you can go for Bleu Acier for a light blue option.

How about :

Artsy : looks pretty handheld or shoulder. Get the empriente one in a color u do not have in ur collection.

Alma bb in epi or vernis : i see that u do not have a dressy bag for special occasion. This nice little bag will be special enough for formal to casual shopping day. U can wear it handheld or crossbody. Size wise not in ur criteria but i think it is worth considering.

Balenciaga work : my 2nd favourite everyday bag. Not too dressy , but spice up every outfit. Easy to use. Because it is so soft i can use it to travel and shopping.

Miu miu coffer: my favourite everyday bag. The lambskin is divine. Can wear it 3 -4 ways. It cant fit as much as the balenciaga work and neverfull. But as a everyday bag i think u will feel the luxury just by touching the leather !!