Any Gardeners?

Ok...just talked to dh. He said you pulled the weeds, good. That you should till (sp?) the ground...did you do that? That you shouldn't have to spray (like someone suggested...duh!) and that 'Watersaver' is the very best grass seed. He said it would need to be watered x2 a day, if not rainy.
Hope that helps...sounds like you did a lot of that already...

I obviously did NOT plant this tree (pear, I think) but it bloomed in March and was SOOO pretty..all around the neighborhood. Then wind and rain made it all go away after only two days to enjoy them.:crybaby:

But...I happened to be playing w/my focus on my camera...working on the forefront as opposed to the background and vice versa. So...being the geek that I am...I thought I'd share...
Just beautiful!!! Where are you located? Your tree was blooming in March!

I love gardening. After pounding on a keyboard all day there is something so wonderful and sensuous about digging in dirt. Something about getting reconnected with the earth and touching beautiful plants...things we could never make ourselves as humans.

I'm a container gardener as I have a townhouse with a front balcony and then my back yard is actually a 400 square foot back deck which I am trying to get planned for my annuals and all plus bbq and new deck furniture...Mom always said wait till Mother's Day to do your annuals (works well here in the northwest).

happy gardening!

Thanks Janet and Mshel!! (by the way mshel, I am so jealous of the trees that are growing in your neighborhood!)
I'll try to keep pulling the weeds out. I don't know what till is so I must have missed an important step!
I didn't know this would be so complicated! It is like imposter grass that is coming up. I did a search on google images and I have identified it as Orchard Grass. ! According to the website, there is nothing much I can do except kill them and dig it out , and then replant. :sad:

Just beautiful!!! Where are you located? Your tree was blooming in March!

THANKS Jayne! I'm in the midwest! BUt only TWO days...I was so disappointed!

Then we had a freeze...and our crab apple trees...which bloom this absolutely gorgeous purplely pink...skipped their blooming completely! argh!

I just had to share my tragedy from this morning, I just filled up my whiskey barrell planter this weekend and it was really coming around, all the plants were perking up loving their new home getting pretty and then...................... I came out this morning to get in my car to go to work and my daughters beagle was sleeping right smack in the middle of my barrell. All my plants are now smashed to bits, I could of cried. So, dh said the dog must go back in his pen for awhile, huh? and I said No Doubt and I must go back to the nursery huh? he agreed.

THANKS Jayne! I'm in the midwest! BUt only TWO days...I was so disappointed!

Then we had a freeze...and our crab apple trees...which bloom this absolutely gorgeous purplely pink...skipped their blooming completely! argh!

Mshel, we have to be pretty close neighbor's, my dogwood barely got it's blooms out before that damn frost and I got a couple lilac's off my bush before the frost took most everything.

I just trimmed my bushes next to the house, all that burnt brown was bringing me down. I have hopes that my Irisis will still bloom, just the plants don't look to good. MyTiger Lily's seem to be coming back some.

I am so glad I didn't get my vegetable garden in early as most everyone around me who did lost most of it.

:blush: I love to mow...
Please come to my house! We have 2 acres of just grass! I hate mowing because of SNAKES!!!

They know I don't like them, so CLEARLY that's why they visit ME all the time!

I do like to garden... but I have learned a lot over the years! Sometimes the ordinary planting is 1000 times better than the I need partial shade, not too much water, enough fertilizer, no manure, make sure you play classical music and dance on your head for me GORGEOUS planting, cuz those at this point, make me say "No thanks"!

I do like to garden... but I have learned a lot over the years! Sometimes the ordinary planting is 1000 times better than the I need partial shade, not too much water, enough fertilizer, no manure, make sure you play classical music and dance on your head for me GORGEOUS planting, cuz those at this point, make me say "No thanks"!
I also learned that lesson many years ago! :yes: Just plant what is hardy to your area... because the work that is involved to keep unusual specimens thriving during the summer and then to over-winter the thing... not worth it!

^^ Usually. Just read the accompanying tag to make sure. It will tell you what zones the plant is best for. :yes: I have bought more delicate things at the garden centre, so you have to check the zone tag to make sure you are getting something hardy.

Would you say that plants sold at local nurseries are in line with what is hardy in the area? I rely on this assumption...

I agree with Jayne1. For the most part the plants are probably well-suited for your climate, but I do double check the labels b/c sometimes they're borderline hardy. If I really like the plant, I may take a chance anyway and plant it. I've had mixed luck with this, but I did enjoy the plant for one season anyway.

I had great success in my old house with Pink Coreopsis (the yellow is super-hardy here, but the pink is iffy). When we moved about 15 miles away, I couldn't keep that plant alive through the winter for anything. I had a similar problem with Gelsimium (sp?). It's a pretty vine with yellow flowers that never made it - I tried three of them. They probably would have survived if they were planted in a warmer climate.

When I planted my first plant 11 years ago I had no idea what I was doing. I still don't! I just know I found it cathartic.

I chose perennials then because we had little money and I loved how they got fuller each year. I still buy 80% perennials each year...I have just stuck w/them...most bang for my buck, I guess.

This year I planted some annuals just to add some color to borders and some pots though.

What do all of you prefer?

I also learned that lesson many years ago! :yes: Just plant what is hardy to your area... because the work that is involved to keep unusual specimens thriving during the summer and then to over-winter the thing... not worth it!
YUP! Makes you want to not garden if you're shelling out all this $$$ for dead plants! Plus, the deer in my area are eating EVERYTHING!!!! ARGH!