Annoyed with people making judgement calls bc of my LV bags

My aunt is the same way! She manages to always inflate the costs of my bag (she told my parents my mono. speedy 30 was a $900 bag!:rolleyes: ) . She has a Viva Cite but always manages to make comments on how I'm "blowing my money" on expensive bags and how I'm the expensive child of my family. One day my mom finally told her that it's my money and I can do what I please with it. Go mom! :yahoo:

fashionpop said:
thats just disgusting how she just assumed its your mum's reponsibility to help!! but yeah, i dont have any friends who understand about me liking LV.. only my BF... :crybaby:

It made me so mad just thinking about your uncle's wife just making those rude comments! It's definently up to your mom if she wants to help out, not just because she can afford to buy herself and her kids designer things all of a sudden it's her responsibility to help her brother out. It reminded me alot of my mother in law. I live with my parents (i'm still in college and my husband is starting school too so it's great cuz we have no rent!) anyways, I also like to treat my sister and mom out to manicures and pedicures and shopping sprees and my mother in law gets jealous because I never take her or my husband's half sister out. I just tell her it's because my mom and my sister are my family and i'm living there rent free so it's like my way to give back. it's not like my mother in law is sharing her $5000 pans with me anyway. :rolleyes:

socalgrl86 said:
It made me so mad just thinking about your uncle's wife just making those rude comments! It's definently up to your mom if she wants to help out, not just because she can afford to buy herself and her kids designer things all of a sudden it's her responsibility to help her brother out. It reminded me alot of my mother in law. I live with my parents (i'm still in college and my husband is starting school too so it's great cuz we have no rent!) anyways, I also like to treat my sister and mom out to manicures and pedicures and shopping sprees and my mother in law gets jealous because I never take her or my husband's half sister out. I just tell her it's because my mom and my sister are my family and i'm living there rent free so it's like my way to give back. it's not like my mother in law is sharing her $5000 pans with me anyway. :rolleyes:

in-laws are the worst :mad:. my mom always tells me that if i ever get married, live as far away from the in-laws as possible :lol:

kymmie said:
I'd rather have my bags than $5000 worth of kitchen gadgets anyday.

Yeah, I felt this way too...and then one day I discovered I loved to cook and entertain...and bought a townhouse...oh my :supacool: .

I too get the looks when I carry my LV. I really couldn't care less. I've earned it :wlae: . Everyone has a 'thing' or two they splurge on, whether it's clothes, shoes, cars, gambling, strip clubs, guns, cruises, you name it. Some things are easier to throw rocks at than others. Our bags are on display so they are easy targets, especially for guys who just need a nice wallet at the bare minimum (kept hidden in their pocket!) so it doesn't matter if theirs is designer or trashed.

This totally brings up painful memories....

My monster-in-law always tries to find a way to put me down and one of her favorite way is too compare me to her daughter (my hubbys little sis). The other day, she saw my Prada bag and said, "Its fake right?", I said, "No but I always buy through other web sites for less". Then...."Its real! Do you know how much one of those are? Its like a few hundred dollars each! I went with ___(the girl) and it was really expensive".....what a ^%^@..... She took 20 min explaining all the stores she has been with the girl and what she bought.

I was so fabbergasted that I couldnt even open my mouth to say anything. :rant: Plus the fact that every time that she sees my Damiers, she asks, "Is it fendi? ___(again the girl) has some". I totally just shut her out and say, "Something like that". :hysteric:

I, too, have mother in law issues with this sort of thing, but it's really my sister who takes the cake. My husband and I have always worked for everything we ever got, while my sister and her husband are always looking for ways not to work and still get money. (government help, handouts, etc.) There are people in this country who absolutely need help from gov, etc., but these are people who could work and choose not to. It just drives me crazy. I have 3 lvs, and everytime I visit her I get the looks and the rolling eyes and the comments made behind my back but loud enough for me to hear. I love my lvs and it took me a long time to get them. She can spend her money on cigs and complain that they can't make their rent and want people to feel sorry for her. If she knew exactly how much my bags cost, she would freak out. So, I have decided to stop worrying what people think about my obsession and enjoy my hobby. The way we choose to spend our money is our business. So, let's just all have fun while we can!:drinkup:

Sorry to hear that you have that kind of in laws. I never heard my in laws said anything about my spending infront of me. I don't think my DH will let that happen. I spent my money and no body business how and why I spend it on bags.

tr444 said:
Well, if I were you, I would have said, "But I would just LOVE the LV Bag so much more than going on a summer rental!!!!" So, that's where I'm spending MY money!!! And I would have said it too, just like that, damn straight!!!
I love your *****iness! :P

Pardon for dissenting, and surely no one has the right to be nosy about another's finances, but isn't part of the cache of carrying a LV or other luxury bag just that... the fact that you ARE carrying an LV or YSL or etc.?
No, it doesn't make you an instant snob or anything, but you can hardly blame others for the questions or comments when they know you're carrying what would be a paycheck or two (or three!) on your arm.

Maybe they're jealous or something, or merely admiring your discipline or fashion sense. But I find the "poor me; people look at me funny when I'm carrying a $1500 bag" a little...I dunno, off-putting?

Why not just say "it's beautiful, isn't it?", smile, and keep it movin'? You can't be accountable for the rudeness of others.

My apologies for any offense.

ginag said:
Why not just say "it's beautiful, isn't it?", smile, and keep it movin'? You can't be accountable for the rudeness of others.

I agree. I have come to learn that the majority of female cattyness and *****yness regarding these types of situations- 9 times out of 10 is because of jealousy.

It makes me laugh that some people are so shallow that they make judgement calls, purely on the basis of what bag you're carrying that day!

As if all rich people carry designer bags all the time and all less wealthy people don't, ever.

What really annoys me, however, is the idiotic 'If you have to ask the price - you can't afford it.' statement. :rolleyes: As if people either have all the money in the world and therefore, can afford anything; or none at all. :shrugs:

The reality is, that many people in the Western world could afford a designer bag, if that was how they chose to prioritise their money (instead of buying several cheaper bags/several items of cheaper clothing/a holiday/meals out etc.). So, logically, if you carry a designer bag, it just means that you like nice bags and nothing else. :yes:

I just simply use the phrase "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" I find some of the people will ask about a handbag because they have never seen one like it before and are curious as to what it is. I don't have a problem with this. Any other comments- I couldn't care less what you think..

ginag said:
Pardon for dissenting, and surely no one has the right to be nosy about another's finances, but isn't part of the cache of carrying a LV or other luxury bag just that... the fact that you ARE carrying an LV or YSL or etc.?
No, it doesn't make you an instant snob or anything, but you can hardly blame others for the questions or comments when they know you're carrying what would be a paycheck or two (or three!) on your arm.

Maybe they're jealous or something, or merely admiring your discipline or fashion sense. But I find the "poor me; people look at me funny when I'm carrying a $1500 bag" a little...I dunno, off-putting?

It's really not "poor me; people look at me funny". It's really about how to gracefully handle the tactlessness of others. I can hardly excuse the people who comment that I have an entire paycheck hanging on my arm. Why do they care? It is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS! We just have to rise above it and enjoy without guilt. :yes:

Agree with Texas Girl
It's really not "poor me; people look at me funny". It's really about how to gracefully handle the tactlessness of others
It's just exasperating having to deal with the awkward moments when clueless/*****y comments are SHOT at you out of the blue. I try to rise above the occassion and get splendid witty iresponse ideas from fellow PFers ! For those who are envious and push the luck, I just might retort with :" well, it could be somebody's WHOLE paycheck but it's fortunately not mine." but that's too tacky. I hope I never use that line .. I will really have lost all my senses to say that....