Altering a Dress to Make it Bigger?

Dec 13, 2008
Has anyone done this? I think my dress is going to require something more than just letting out the seams.

I have this really cute blue and white pinstripe button down shirt dress that I adore, it fits my top half to below my waist but the two buttons near the bottoms (around my butt and thighs) are way too tight - like its pulling when I stand so sitting is basically out of the question lol. There's no fabric to let the seams out on the inside so I was thinking of getting it altered and adding panels (maybe white) to the sides to give it extra room at the bottom.

I really love the dress but I'm just pear shaped and no amount of weight loss is going to make the bottom fit, even at my thinnest it pulled when I sat and was uncomfortable. I didn't want to toss it because it is really cute.

Thoughts?

this sounds complicated and expensive.....don't know how much you love the dress and how much $ you're willing to put into it. There would still be a risk that you wouldn't like the end result.

I actually took it to my tailor last week and she's charging $35 to add the panels down the side seams to make it wider. I can post pics when I get it back... It's something that's going to be a staple for a long time in my wardrobe.

I actually took it to my tailor last week and she's charging $35 to add the panels down the side seams to make it wider. I can post pics when I get it back... It's something that's going to be a staple for a long time in my wardrobe.
sounds like you have a good tailor....hope you love it when she's done. that price seems reasonable