Altering a Dress to Make it Bigger?

Dec 13, 2008
Has anyone done this? I think my dress is going to require something more than just letting out the seams.

I have this really cute blue and white pinstripe button down shirt dress that I adore, it fits my top half to below my waist but the two buttons near the bottoms (around my butt and thighs) are way too tight - like its pulling when I stand so sitting is basically out of the question lol. There's no fabric to let the seams out on the inside so I was thinking of getting it altered and adding panels (maybe white) to the sides to give it extra room at the bottom.

I really love the dress but I'm just pear shaped and no amount of weight loss is going to make the bottom fit, even at my thinnest it pulled when I sat and was uncomfortable. I didn't want to toss it because it is really cute.

Thoughts?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
this sounds complicated and expensive.....don't know how much you love the dress and how much $ you're willing to put into it. There would still be a risk that you wouldn't like the end result.

Dec 13, 2008
I actually took it to my tailor last week and she's charging $35 to add the panels down the side seams to make it wider. I can post pics when I get it back... It's something that's going to be a staple for a long time in my wardrobe.

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
I actually took it to my tailor last week and she's charging $35 to add the panels down the side seams to make it wider. I can post pics when I get it back... It's something that's going to be a staple for a long time in my wardrobe.
sounds like you have a good tailor....hope you love it when she's done. that price seems reasonable

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
how did it come out?