All about LV - LEATHERS

I’m curious to know which LV leathers are cow hide vs. calf skin. Is epi cow hide? I know that certain leathers such as vernis and empriente are calf skin, but which ones are not calf skin?
Hi @Aliluvlv I just wanted to chime in ….empreinte is cowhide. The texture is heavier, thicker, rougher than calfskin. Yes epi is also cowhide. The nano gram capsule collection is all calfskin. If you get a chance to compare the two the difference in texture is quite remarkable. Calfskin is smoother softer and more supple to the touch. It also tends to be a slightly higher price point.

0E8ABE60-9574-4A60-8053-8000F9A02692.jpeg

910A29A7-CCC2-4210-9C04-FD8FFD53F7E1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Aliluvlv and BULL
I’m curious to know which LV leathers are cow hide vs. calf skin. Is epi cow hide? I know that certain leathers such as vernis and empriente are calf skin, but which ones are not calf skin?
This is not a definitive list, but gives a perspective:
Cow: Épi, Empreinte, VVN, Taïga
Calf: Taurillon (it literally means baby bull), Nanogram, LockMe, Bubblegram, Mahina, Vernis, New Wave (the website is so all over the place, half of the New Wave pieces are marked cowhide, half is calf, unbelievable)

Generally the lines that require a softer material (and also are produced in smaller quantities) tend to be calfskin. They can soften cowhide too up to a point, but for Vuitton I doubt that the material choice is a matter of price or availability. They can use whatever they want :smile:

Hi @Aliluvlv I just wanted to chime in ….empreinte is cowhide. The texture is heavier, thicker, rougher than calfskin. Yes epi is also cowhide. The nano gram capsule collection is all calfskin. If you get a chance to compare the two the difference in texture is quite remarkable. Calfskin is smoother softer and more supple to the touch. It also tends to be a slightly higher price point.

View attachment 5789250

View attachment 5789254

This is not a definitive list, but gives a perspective:
Cow: Épi, Empreinte, VVN, Taïga
Calf: Taurillon (it literally means baby bull), Nanogram, LockMe, Bubblegram, Mahina, Vernis, New Wave (the website is so all over the place, half of the New Wave pieces are marked cowhide, half is calf, unbelievable)

Generally the lines that require a softer material (and also are produced in smaller quantities) tend to be calfskin. They can soften cowhide too up to a point, but for Vuitton I doubt that the material choice is a matter of price or availability. They can use whatever they want :smile:
Wow thank you both so much! I had no idea that Empreinte and Taïga leather weren’t calfskin. I honestly never trust what is written on the website descriptions, but it’s nice to know they are correct sometimes. :lol: I know it’s semantics but I can’t get on board with calfskin- I try to limit my leather products as it is (which is why I love LV canvas!), but nice to know I could branch out from epi and try empreinte or taiga sometime.:biggrin:

Reactions: Shanagolden
Hi @BULL could I ask you abt the bubblegram leather and what you think of it? Is it hard to look after? High maintenance in terms of creases and scratches? And how is the make of it? It’s calf leather so very high quality leather correct? Do you have anything in bubblegram? How will it wear in years to come? Thanks so much!

Hi @BULL could I ask you abt the bubblegram leather and what you think of it? Is it hard to look after? High maintenance in terms of creases and scratches? And how is the make of it? It’s calf leather so very high quality leather correct? Do you have anything in bubblegram? How will it wear in years to come? Thanks so much!
That one is a VERY nice leather. I am personally not a fan, but I really loved the New Wave. Very similar recipe, just different pattern. I'd recommend to be careful with it, but I mostly think about bumping into a wall or something. It is not as delicate as a Nomade would be, it won't scratch up just be people looking at it :smile:
It is still a thin layer of full grain leather over a cushioning material (I don't know what they are using exactly), but this cushioning can also help with dampening the impact of anything bumping into the bag.

Reactions: TomMi39 and Bumbles
That one is a VERY nice leather. I am personally not a fan, but I really loved the New Wave. Very similar recipe, just different pattern. I'd recommend to be careful with it, but I mostly think about bumping into a wall or something. It is not as delicate as a Nomade would be, it won't scratch up just be people looking at it :smile:
It is still a thin layer of full grain leather over a cushioning material (I don't know what they are using exactly), but this cushioning can also help with dampening the impact of anything bumping into the bag.
Thanks bull! Very good to know it’s the same as the new wave leather. I didn’t know it was the same. I have the new wave heart and the leather is very sturdy and hard wearing. I was looking into getting the alma bb bubblegram or the epi one. Will have to have a good think abt it as I agree it would be prone to bumping and scratches too!

Reactions: BULL
Thanks bull! Very good to know it’s the same as the new wave leather. I didn’t know it was the same. I have the new wave heart and the leather is very sturdy and hard wearing. I was looking into getting the alma bb bubblegram or the epi one. Will have to have a good think abt it as I agree it would be prone to bumping and scratches too!
Oh, I am very biased, but when it comes to Alma BB, I am team Épi all the way. In any colour. That bag is just peak Vuitton :heart:

Oh, I am very biased, but when it comes to Alma BB, I am team Épi all the way. In any colour. That bag is just peak Vuitton :heart:
Yes I totally agree, all the epi colours are gorgeous. I love the epi colours but dislike the jacquard strap so am left with just noir which I would of preferred a colour if you know what I mean. If they could bring back the epi with leather strap I would be sold. Or at least offer both options for the price as well. Thank you for your comments and opinion!!! Helps alot :hugs:

Taiga cowhide leather durability question.

I am curious to know the durability of the Taiga cowhide leather. I am considering the outdoor messenger which is all Taiga leather and want it to be my workhorse. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't very durable so I came here to find out for sure. I appreciate anyone who has experience with this leather to chime in. Thank you!

Taiga cowhide leather durability question.

I am curious to know the durability of the Taiga cowhide leather. I am considering the outdoor messenger which is all Taiga leather and want it to be my workhorse. I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't very durable so I came here to find out for sure. I appreciate anyone who has experience with this leather to chime in. Thank you!
It is quite durable. It looks like Saffiano, and most Saffiano-like leathers from other brands are way more plasticky and rigid, that is why people usually assume that this one is also like an armour. It is softer than them, more natural, but it can be very hard wearing. I'd say Épi is the only LV leather that is more durable, Taïga is similar to Empreinte in that regard.
I am curious what experience the Outdoor Messenger owners have, how was the leather doing for them on that particular model.

Reactions: Lizzys
Thank you @BULL! I was hoping you would see this post and chime in, since I respect your great knowledge of LV. I really do love the Epi leather, and thought about getting the Alma BB. The hesitation I have about that bag is where the strap is located. I have 2 small Longchamp bags which are basically the same. The canvas one has the strap on the ends of the bag and the very light weight leather on has the straps more like the Alma which is closer to the center of the bag. The one that has the strap located more like the Alma feels so much heavier than the one that has the strap at the end and so I never wear it. I hope that makes sense. I will check further into the Alma to see if it feels heavier due to the strap placement. There are some other Epi leather bags that I like, but did not want to get one with a big LV on it since this would be my under the radar workhorse bag. Thanks again for your help!

Thank you @BULL! I was hoping you would see this post and chime in, since I respect your great knowledge of LV. I really do love the Epi leather, and thought about getting the Alma BB. The hesitation I have about that bag is where the strap is located. I have 2 small Longchamp bags which are basically the same. The canvas one has the strap on the ends of the bag and the very light weight leather on has the straps more like the Alma which is closer to the center of the bag. The one that has the strap located more like the Alma feels so much heavier than the one that has the strap at the end and so I never wear it. I hope that makes sense. I will check further into the Alma to see if it feels heavier due to the strap placement. There are some other Epi leather bags that I like, but did not want to get one with a big LV on it since this would be my under the radar workhorse bag. Thanks again for your help!
The Alma BB in Épi is absolutely the loveliest LV bag even made in my opinion. But it is not easy to wear with the strap :biggrin: I really rarely put in on my shoulder, I use it crossbody (on my back), or just hold it by the handle. It really was designed to be handle carried, it shows. And no matter the small size, if I put a lot into it, it does feel heavy (and cumbersome) with the strap. But with the handles it feels light even then.

The Alma BB in Épi is absolutely the loveliest LV bag even made in my opinion. But it is not easy to wear with the strap :biggrin: I really rarely put in on my shoulder, I use it crossbody (on my back), or just hold it by the handle. It really was designed to be handle carried, it shows. And no matter the small size, if I put a lot into it, it does feel heavy (and cumbersome) with the strap. But with the handles it feels light even then.
Thanks again @BULL! I will go take another look at the Alma BB in Epi. After all that is the bag I like more. I really do think it is such a lovely, timeless bag.

Bumping this thread, partly because I am not sure of the leather's name (only that it's not sourced externally by LV, name starts with M). I'd love to know a bit more about it.

@BULL would you know what the name of a particular leather is based on description? I've been told is the leather is produced in small quantities, unfinished, only comes in a tan colour and it has a very soft feel. It scratches easily but you can rub it off if it's a minor scratch and it patinas over time.