All about LV - LEATHERS

Bumping this thread, partly because I am not sure of the leather's name (only that it's not sourced externally by LV, name starts with M). I'd love to know a bit more about it.

@BULL would you know what the name of a particular leather is based on description? I've been told is the leather is produced in small quantities, unfinished, only comes in a tan colour and it has a very soft feel. It scratches easily but you can rub it off if it's a minor scratch and it patinas over time.
Perhaps you are referring to millesime leather?
Here is a link to a product page from LV

• Thanks
Reactions: mktlim and BULL
Bumping this thread, partly because I am not sure of the leather's name (only that it's not sourced externally by LV, name starts with M). I'd love to know a bit more about it.

@BULL would you know what the name of a particular leather is based on description? I've been told is the leather is produced in small quantities, unfinished, only comes in a tan colour and it has a very soft feel. It scratches easily but you can rub it off if it's a minor scratch and it patinas over time.
@blushnbellinlvoe is spot it, that is the Millesime leather. Before it was officially released, we though it's gonna be Nomade, which was originally the highest end smooth calf at Vuitton's, but it is practically Nomade Pro Max :biggrin: Absolutely luxurious.
This year they are releasing black versions as well.

@blushnbellinlvoe is spot it, that is the Millesime leather. Before it was officially released, we though it's gonna be Nomade, which was originally the highest end smooth calf at Vuitton's, but it is practically Nomade Pro Max :biggrin: Absolutely luxurious.

Thank you @blushnbellinlvoe @BULL ! That is the leather! It is definitely very luxurious - I saw a few pieces but the name escaped me.

Thank you both for this explanation RE: Millesime.

I have a question: according to their website, the new Georges Tote is in Millesime leather, but upon closer inspection, the leather doesn't "read" high end, smooth, or luxurious to me. For a bag that is thought of as the Birkin of Louis Vuitton, I would have expected a nicer [look to the] leather. When you mention high end, smooth, or luxurious, Swift, Chevre Mysore, Tadelekt, Box, Jonathan, or Milo leather from Hermes immediately come to mind. But the Millesime leather on the Georges Tote looks more like a Togo or Clemence...would you agree? Or can you explain what I may be missing--perhaps that's not the same "Millesime"? :tup:

Reactions: blushnbellinlvoe

I have a question: according to their website, the new Georges Tote is in Millesime leather, but upon closer inspection, the leather doesn't "read" high end, smooth, or luxurious to me. For a bag that is thought of as the Birkin of Louis Vuitton, I would have expected a nicer [look to the] leather. When you mention high end, smooth, or luxurious, Swift, Chevre Mysore, Tadelekt, Box, Jonathan, or Milo leather from Hermes immediately come to mind. But the Millesime leather on the Georges Tote looks more like a Togo or Clemence...would you agree? Or can you explain what I may be missing--perhaps that's not the same "Millesime"? :tup:
When Millesime was introduced, I though (everybody did), that this is the name of that particular leather with that kind of grain. Well, it turned out to be an umbrella term for "nicest cowhide we have rn". Soon they will release the same smooth version in black too, but to my surprise, these grained bags are also called Millesime.
You are right, this one should be the equivalent of Togo. While Vuitton's Taurillon is what Clemence is at Hermès. I prefer Taurillon, has a much nicer sheen.
Also this one looks quite close to Aerogram, which I find not at all luxurious. Feels like Hugo Boss leather. So hard pass on that line.
I'd buy everything from the OG Millesime line if I could, that version is VERY nice. But this one, I doubt that these bags won't end up on 24s.

I have to disclaim, first of all, that I have not seen nor touched either the Georges tote nor any of the original pieces released with the millesime collection. I therefore cannot attest to the difference in texture or stiffness. I think of their arbitrary naming of this leather as solely to distinguish this specific breed of cattle that is sourced exclusively from a specific area which is the Donaines Massifs in France. Like bull said an umbrella term. So far LV has not further distinguished the processing of that said leather (ie is it further rolled for a smooth finished or printed etc). They are using that same leather, processing it differently but not really giving it a separate name. Comparatively, Hermes uses barenia both smooth and grained but names the latter as barennia faubourg to distinguish the difference.
You also mentioned swift, box, Jonathan in your post. All calf smooth leathers. Hermes doesn’t disclose their breeders/source nor do they publicly disclose their tanneries. So they are arbitrarily naming their products to distinguish between their processings. Chèvre is goat, literally a different animal, but again Hermes’ distuiguishes the difference between coromandel vs mysore.
LV taurillon is an adult male bull, similar to Hermes’ clemence, but sourced from cattle elsewhere that is not genetically related to those bred at the Domaines. Think of wagyu beef from Japan, it is genetically different. Their research and development team have working to develop technology where eventually they would be able to trace each of their leather bags from source to finish using advance digital markers where genetic markers will play a role. Even now, advanced chromatography can be used to pinpoint the tannery used.
Again, I don’t have further insight on manufacturing processing from Hermes so my comparisons will have to end there. IF you get in store to feel the Georges tote please come back here and give me your feedback on the leather quality. :flowers:

Hi can anyone tell me about this Malletage leather? I really love the alma bb but I want to know if the lamb skin is very delicate and easliy scratched,

Attachments

• IMG_0820.png
    IMG_0820.png
    597.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0821.png
    IMG_0821.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: thewave1969
Hi can anyone tell me about this Malletage leather? I really love the alma bb but I want to know if the lamb skin is very delicate and easliy scratched,
I have the malletage leather in the pico go-14 style and have been wearing it consistently for the past month. I am assuming the leather would behave the same for the alma. Of course lamb skin is inherently more delicate than any cowhide but I feel that this iteration is a heartier version than say any of the recent Chanel offerings. Despite being soft, as lamb skin should be, it doesn’t feel thin at all. I don’t baby it but I am not super rough either. I was worried that my chain would cause scratches with the constant opening and closing of the flap or it would be marked up by my fingers. Nope. Nothing yet. Still looks new. Being positioned as a premium product, I was also reassured of the extended after care services in the future should I run into issues. Not sure if that service extends to the alma as well but since it is also malletage it might be. Ask you SA for confirmation.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpeg
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2402.jpeg
    IMG_2402.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have the malletage leather in the pico go-14 style and have been wearing it consistently for the past month. I am assuming the leather would behave the same for the alma. Of course lamb skin is inherently more delicate than any cowhide but I feel that this iteration is a heartier version than say recent Chanel offerings. Despite being soft, as lamb skin should, it doesn’t feel thin at all. I don’t baby it but I am not super rough either. I was worried that my chain would cause scratches of the constant opening and closing of the flap would be marked up by my fingers. Nope. Nothing yet. Still looks new. Being positioned as a premium product, I was also reassured of the extended after care services in the future should I run into issues. Not sure if that service extends to the alma as well but since it is also malletage it might be. Ask you SA for confirmation.
Thanks so much!!!😀😀

Hi @BULL i have a question that you might be able to help with. In terms of emprinente and epi leathers in lighter colours, say quartz are they both prone to colour transfer evenly or is emprinente more prone to it? I’m thinking epi might be a bit easily to maintain in lighter colours as it kind of has that coating? But not sure so thought would check with you. I’m thinking abt getting an epi quartz bag but not sure how high maintenance it will be and if always carrying by the top handle will it turn darker with the oils and dust your hands can have while carrying it. Also, if you do get it dirty how do you take care of it? Can you wipe it away or is it there to stay? I know you are an fab of epi so would have some comments to share. Any info or advice would be great. Btw, the bag I’m looking at is the nano alma. The fuchsia colour I’m thinking is a bit bright for me, but the quartz looks so elegant and pretty hence that’s what I’m considering. What colour do you like between the 2? Thanks so much!

Reactions: Wibwob and BULL
Hi @BULL i have a question that you might be able to help with. In terms of emprinente and epi leathers in lighter colours, say quartz are they both prone to colour transfer evenly or is emprinente more prone to it? I’m thinking epi might be a bit easily to maintain in lighter colours as it kind of has that coating? But not sure so thought would check with you. I’m thinking abt getting an epi quartz bag but not sure how high maintenance it will be and if always carrying by the top handle will it turn darker with the oils and dust your hands can have while carrying it. Also, if you do get it dirty how do you take care of it? Can you wipe it away or is it there to stay? I know you are an fab of epi so would have some comments to share. Any info or advice would be great. Btw, the bag I’m looking at is the nano alma. The fuchsia colour I’m thinking is a bit bright for me, but the quartz looks so elegant and pretty hence that’s what I’m considering. What colour do you like between the 2? Thanks so much!
You are so kind.
Empreinte is also heavily coated these days (wasn't the case 10 years ago), so that should also be similarly carefree. Maybe a little less, since it is softer, but still very hard wearing. To be honest, I don't have any personal experience with Empreinte, I never bought anything from that line, I just hate that leather. It's just a personal preference, since goes against all the design rules I judge things by. But if people enjoy it, I am glad. I'd still rather buy Empreinte than Michael Kors or even a Chanel Caviar.
On the other hand, as you already know, I very much love Épi, that is a very distinctive and honest leather. The lightest one I own is Rose Ballerine. That is VERY light, not Quartz level, but quite. I never had issues with colour getting onto it from jeans or other clothes. I did put an LV Initials keychain (from the Men's line) onto it as a bag charm. It is palladium coated, and as it dangles around while I walk, it does leave a mark after a while. As I was ligthly using a graphite pencil on the leather. But fortunately it does come off just like a pencil, it easily wipes away with a baby wipe. I am team 'everything-free baby wipe' when it comes to cleaning, and in most cases it was more than enough. I haven't worn it crossbody a lot, also not with very dark jeans, those might be an issue. But if you'll use it hand held, it's gonna be fine. No need to worry about hand oils. If you wipe it every month, that would be enough I guess.
The Nano Alma is gorgeous. The Quartz is the most sophisticated colour. The Fuchsia is indeed a little loud, not as easy to wear. (If I should choose colour, I'd go with Lilas Provence or Vert Noto. Those colours are just amazing, they remind me of the great colours the iPhone 12 had. They nailed them, big time.) So between those two I'd recommend you to go with the Quartz, that is an excellent colour.

You are so kind.
Empreinte is also heavily coated these days (wasn't the case 10 years ago), so that should also be similarly carefree. Maybe a little less, since it is softer, but still very hard wearing. To be honest, I don't have any personal experience with Empreinte, I never bought anything from that line, I just hate that leather. It's just a personal preference, since goes against all the design rules I judge things by. But if people enjoy it, I am glad. I'd still rather buy Empreinte than Michael Kors or even a Chanel Caviar.
On the other hand, as you already know, I very much love Épi, that is a very distinctive and honest leather. The lightest one I own is Rose Ballerine. That is VERY light, not Quartz level, but quite. I never had issues with colour getting onto it from jeans or other clothes. I did put an LV Initials keychain (from the Men's line) onto it as a bag charm. It is palladium coated, and as it dangles around while I walk, it does leave a mark after a while. As I was ligthly using a graphite pencil on the leather. But fortunately it does come off just like a pencil, it easily wipes away with a baby wipe. I am team 'everything-free baby wipe' when it comes to cleaning, and in most cases it was more than enough. I haven't worn it crossbody a lot, also not with very dark jeans, those might be an issue. But if you'll use it hand held, it's gonna be fine. No need to worry about hand oils. If you wipe it every month, that would be enough I guess.
The Nano Alma is gorgeous. The Quartz is the most sophisticated colour. The Fuchsia is indeed a little loud, not as easy to wear. (If I should choose colour, I'd go with Lilas Provence or Vert Noto. Those colours are just amazing, they remind me of the great colours the iPhone 12 had. They nailed them, big time.) So between those two I'd recommend you to go with the Quartz, that is an excellent colour.
Thanks Bull. I didn’t realise baby wipes (alcohol free) work to remove things off epi’s too. Good to know, and it won’t damage the leather either I’m gathering. Rose ballerine epi is so pretty. I wish I got that in the alma bb before they discontinued that one, and it had the matching leather strap too which I like better than the guitar strap. I agree that both lilac and vert noto are gorgeous colours. But for me they maybe hard to match so thought quartz would be the best and neutral too. Thanks so much for sharing and your insightful comments. Helps a lot!

Reactions: BULL