Alicia Vikander

I wasn't overly impressed by Kit either. It was a supporting role but he didn't make the character come alive for me and Alicia acted him off the screen. I'm not sure he has sufficient screen presence for films, well not based on this anyway. I liked Taron though.

I like Taron too. Kingsmen was great.

Lol what is that pattern :lol:
She looks so pretty though

Attachments

• tumblr_npcinvhix91tznrduo2_500.png
    tumblr_npcinvhix91tznrduo2_500.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 484
  • Screenshot_2015-06-03-10-17-05_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-03-10-17-05_1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
I like this dress too - suits her. Hope the American critics like her performance in TOY. Lovely that Michael was there with her last night, maybe she'll go back to Montreal with him when she's finished promoting the film, I read she's on Seth Meyers talk show today.

Diane Kruger?!?!

So these things are very subjective and really it's nitpicking to point out problems because Diane Kruger's English is fantastic and her accent is almost perfect but you can pick up that she's not a native english speaker (IMO). It's the way she over enunciates certain words, she'll also drag out certain sounds and there's a kind of background interference to her accent that I find strange but I'm sure in a few years it won't be noticeable. Famke Jansen also has certain oddities in her accent but it's not distracting because her overall pronunciation is more relaxed... it's when you try to pronounce each word too carefully or clearly that it's more noticeable.... this is the problem that I think Vikander has.

I watched three episodes of American version of The Bridge and I couldn't buy her as an American which is especially jarring when the character is supposed to be a police detective... although maybe it was the whole show which I didn't find to be very good.

That's not to say there aren't English actors that do bad American/British accents that get in the way of enjoying a movie. Michael Fassbender's and Ewan Mcgregor's American accents often seem pretty dodgy to me and Peter Dinklage has a rather odd take on an English accent.

She's not out of the circle yet, it seems. Still could do all of the 3 movies but its all up to the scheduling :
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/03/alicia-vikander-hollywood-s-most-wanted.html?via=mobile&source=twitter

So these things are very subjective and really it's nitpicking to point out problems because Diane Kruger's English is fantastic and her accent is almost perfect but you can pick up that she's not a native english speaker (IMO). It's the way she over enunciates certain words, she'll also drag out certain sounds and there's a kind of background interference to her accent that I find strange but I'm sure in a few years it won't be noticeable. Famke Jansen also has certain oddities in her accent but it's not distracting because her overall pronunciation is more relaxed... it's when you try to pronounce each word too carefully or clearly that it's more noticeable.... this is the problem that I think Vikander has.

I watched three episodes of American version of The Bridge and I couldn't buy her as an American which is especially jarring when the character is supposed to be a police detective... although maybe it was the whole show which I didn't find to be very good.

That's not to say there aren't English actors that do bad American/British accents that get in the way of enjoying a movie. Michael Fassbender's and Ewan Mcgregor's American accents often seem pretty dodgy to me and Peter Dinklage has a rather odd take on an English accent.

Tbh, I don't hear much of a difference between Famke and Diane but I'm not a native. I just thought because she says in most interviews she got rid of the accent and that's why she doesn't get typecast anymore.
I also think it's because Diane is alternating between three languages and that's why something always sticks. I know Famke also speaks German and French but I think most regularly she only speaks Dutch and English and also lives full-time in the US. So there's the advantage.
I'm not a big fan of Diane's acting. It's horrible actually. Even in Inglorious Basterds where she just had to do her own native accent she blew it.

I don't care about accents of English speakers. I'm happy as long as I understand the words. Like Charlie Hunnam got bashed a lot for his accent on Sons of Anarchy but I didn't mind (I was probably distracted by the glorious arse) and also I couldn't really tell the difference. He pronounced the words right, just not right for the region. I find it more distracting when people can't pronounce the words right no matter the region. Like Michael Fassbender in Inglorious Basterds.

She's not out of the circle yet, it seems. Still could do all of the 3 movies but its all up to the scheduling :
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-s-most-wanted.html?via=mobile&source=twitter

I liked this interview, especially this female perspective: :smile:
“She saw the entire war—but not on the front lines, the results of everyone coming back. I’d never seen an adaptation that focused on the people that were left behind,” says Vikander. “I’d also never been introduced to the female perspective of war. When I read Testament of Youth for the first time, it seemed like a girl my age right now telling her story that was put in a different universe. She had the same ideas about her, but was restricted by not even being able to go outside without a chaperone. She had to be that pigheaded, headstrong, and unreachable in the beginning because she had to be so determined since society was so against her.”

I've mixed feelings about the dress but her make up is great. She's very pretty. I liked more her style before her contract with LV.

Attachments

• Alicia+Vikander+Dresses+Skirts+Cocktail+Dress+l55W0KZSe4hx.jpg
    Alicia+Vikander+Dresses+Skirts+Cocktail+Dress+l55W0KZSe4hx.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 5TgHV.jpg
    5TgHV.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 9ff06e498ef3cf7c3b9ee43c3f67aa35.jpg
    9ff06e498ef3cf7c3b9ee43c3f67aa35.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Alicia+Vikander+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+Oscars+QallDfuVrs5l.jpg
    Alicia+Vikander+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+Oscars+QallDfuVrs5l.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 487
  • e609c73a407e1c8f80d0a45478f16ef8.jpg
    e609c73a407e1c8f80d0a45478f16ef8.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 421
  • e1f6d9b8d5f402c24831105e67102b4c.jpg
    e1f6d9b8d5f402c24831105e67102b4c.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 380
  • alicia-vikander-lang-guldklann-929285086.jpg
    alicia-vikander-lang-guldklann-929285086.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 403
I'm not a big fan of Diane's acting. It's horrible actually. Even in Inglorious Basterds where she just had to do her own native accent she blew it.

Something we can agree on! It really is bad.

And to me, with the exception of Kinnaman, not one person mentioned sounds like a native English speaker, regardless of accent - not even Famke. There's something about the way she says certain words.