Alicia Silverstone Candids

That really pisses me off! PETA wants to be seen as a group that takes care of animals and their rights and what do they do? They kill the animals! It's just gross! :cursing: :mad: :cursing: :mad: :cursing:

"From July 1998 through the end of 2005, PETA killed over 14,400 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 90 percent of the animals it took in during 2005 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing."
Oh boy...not this discussion again....these statements are fabricated, do more research beyond that and you will see what I mean.

I pretty much dislike PETA..a lot. Their tactics do more offending and alienating than anything else. I agree that there's a time and place for sensationalism, but they can't seem to grasp that concept. ASPCA on the other hand is an organization I can get behind. Read here if you want to get a more unbiased idea of what they're really about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_Ethical_Treatment_of_Animals#Community_Animal_Project

As far as Caitlin's posts, I can see where she's coming from. There's something about Alicia and the way she presents herself that says "I'm vegan and that makes me better than you". I too can't quite put my finger on it, but nevertheless, I still feel it. Hey, if you want to be vegan, by all means, but it bothers me when people try to say I'm a bad person cause I eat a steak occasionally. I don't sit there and try to shove chicken down the throats of my friends, so don't try to shove soy down mine. We can go back and forth on what we're meant to eat, but ultimately no one's going to be convinced to change. So drop the condescension already (not saying anyone here is like that, rather in general). I do feel that conditions of animals used for consumption are horrid and I do hope that awareness is being brought to that situation, which is why I try to buy cage free, free range, organic products.
As far as the numbers stated above...they are true, so perhaps some people might need to do their own research instead of turning a blind eye to anything negatively portraying PETA. I will say, however, that even though those numbers are true, I don't have an issue with that. PETA has maintained a "better life" for animals stance and that means sometimes having to humanely euthanize animals. It has to be done and there's no way to get around that. I like that they are humane and don't let animals suffer unnecessarily.

She looks beautiful. But don't get me started on PETA. I used to support them. Until they so ignorantly insulted my profession as an animal keeper. And part of their agenda is for no one to have the right to own any kind of animal. That means, horses, dogs, cats, reptiles, what-have-you. They make so much friggin money in their fundraisers and most of it goes to funding other fund-raisers. They have done some good. But the negative has far outweighed what they started out to do. When you infringe on peoples rights by destroying property to prove your point, all your doing is throwing a spotlight on your terrorist methods and the cause gets lost - no one cares what you are supporting at that point, even if its a good cause.
When I was working with elephants (for about 3 years) my boss constantly extended an open invitation for any one of them to come and spend a day with us to see how we cared for our animals - and they did not have to announce themselves, just show up! Never has one person EVER taken him up on his offer. There were issues in the 70s and even as late as the 80s with mistreatment going on but those days are Looooong gone and they will not let it go. It is a new environment at our zoo with keepers who truly love their animals and would do most anything for them to make their quality of life a good one. Last year, PETA kept protesting about one of our elephants and called an impromptu protest one afternoon via e-mail and half the kids that showed up didn't even know what they were protesting about. It was just "cool" to be there with PETA. I abhore this type of ignorance and blind loyalty without knowing all the facts. If they truly want to help animals they should look in peoples backyards at the dogs that are tied up all day, at animals that don't have water, at obese animals. And if they truly want to help the cause of elephants they should look into the horrible conditions the Asian elephant is suffering in Thailand and all over Indonesia. Our animals are the lucky ones. They are pampered and loved. There are out of work elephants from the timber industry over there that are starving to death cause their mahoots can no longer afford to feed them. They are being shot by farmers for raiding their crops. They are being caught in poachers snares and the ones that are not caught and shot die slow painful deaths from infection. Their migratory routes are cut off. I can go on and on. And thats only one of many species that is suffering from habitat encroachment and poaching. So I would gladly thank PETA for staying out of my business of caring for animals (most of these people have never even volunteered at an animal shelter) stick to their celebrity fundraisers - and direct their attention towards REAL battles for animals that really need the money and attention. For the record Best Friends and the ASPCA are both EXCELLENT organizations and just a couple of the few that really do what they say they do.
I'm sorry for the people who support PETA here but I have done my research and have had to deal with these people first hand. They are not a pleasant group.