Age-appropriate bag?

I should have my first Birkin between this year (36) or early next year (37). It was ordered in September 2007. Age is a number, but class sets the tone.

Please. I'm 44 and just received a Jige; it'll be years before I acquire a Birkin. There is NO age limit/time-line/"must have it by date". When it's time, it's time, be it 20 or 120. Luxury KNOWS no age. :smile:

Twenty years ago, it would have been VERY unusual to see a woman under the age of 50 carrying an Hermes bag (yes, Grace Kelly carried one but she was an actress from a wealthy family and she married a prince!). They have always been a VERY expensive item, and most young women didn't have that kind of money.

Now, one sees them on all ages as the style is timeless and classic. Frankly, it's all the "it" bags that I think look ridiculous on a woman over 50.

I got my first Hermes, a Kelly, at age 64, and I can promise you, no one has EVER accused me of not dressing age-appropriately.

Classic, timeless clothes and accessories know no age.

I feel somewhere in-between the age range for Hermes. There are twenty-somethings with one or 2, and 40+ year olds who have one or 5. I'm 33 :amazed: and probably couldn't get an Hermes bag for another 2 years. :blink:
With the growing popularity of these bags, will I be too old to be finally getting my first at 35?
Is there anyone else on who didn't get their first until they were over 30? :shame:

You're not too old for an Hermes bag. I'm 35 and I just got my first Hermes bag (and also a second one this week) :smile:. I'm glad that I waited until my 30s to get my bag since I have a much greater appreciation for its workmanship and quality. I've had a number of Prada, Chanel, and LVs in my 20s. After I bought my first Hermes, I realized that I'm done buying other bags and I would rather save the money I would have spent on these other bags for another Hermes bag. My only regret is that I should have done this earlier---oh, only if I knew then what I know now.

I just turned 30 and went ahead and bought a birkin and a kelly. My mom thinks I'm "reacting" to my age (turning 30 is such a big deal). I purposely got neutral colors (etoupe and gold) to last me for years. These are what I consider fuss-free colors which can go with most of my wardrobe and last me a long time.

These Hermes handbags are extremely expensive. And I agree that it took me a long time to save for them. I consider them heirloom pieces that I can give to my daughters or nieces so I made certain that I got classic colors and classic pieces which will transcend time. My thinking process on these two bags were the same as that on jewelry purchases. I made sure they were good, safe investments.

I could've gotten some really outrageous pieces: exotic skins in exotic colors. But even though I really love them now, I just can't see myself carrying them when I'm 50. But that's just me. My grandma (90 yo), on the other hand, still wears fuschia colored shoes. You have to know what kind of person you are. If you deviate too much from yourself, you'll end up with a frivolous piece that you can't quite afford to begin with. And if you try to sell it (not being a powerseller), then you probably won't be able to fetch a good price for it.

So do be careful. But this is a great forum, and we can all help you think through your first purchase by sharing our experiences.

I agree that Hermes is timeless. I have always love bright colours that pop like orange. Having said that I recently bought a gold colour just in case I change my mind later in my old age, lol.

The choice of style, leather and hardware combined with your age, will make the impression.
The same rigid Kelly in Box will look funky and hip on a 20 year old wearing jeans,
and dressy on someone with an elegant style, a few years older.

I don't think anything from Hermès should be age appropriate.

I hope to get my first (and possibly only) bag by next year at 25. I'm not greedy. One is enough for me. :smile:

After that I'm done. I'm sick of saving up money for bags. LOL

My first 6 H bags were vintage or pre-loved. I have always been a handbag girl. I started collecting at the age of 27, when I began life as a law associate. I didn't have the $ or lifestyle for new H at that time.

Honestly, I think the vintage really suited me. I wouldn't call it an *age* appropriateness thing - it was, again, more of a "lifestyle-appropriateness" issue. I wasn't ready for new H, and I think new H would have been so inconsistent with me at that point, that I would have just kept it in the box and never used it in real life! I would have simply taken it out to smell, touch and admire. I would have been far too afraid to damage it - and to me, H bags are meant to be used.

At this point in my life, I am definitely ready for new H!!!