advice on caring for ostrich

^^^ thanks TammyD! I initially thought ostrich will darken over time, e.g. develop a patina, adding a shine. Then reading some info about its colour will fade, therefore lighten rather than darken. So i'm quite confused. Is it the bottom line that there will def be dis-coloration no matter what? Be it darken or lighten? I need to have another good chat with my SA who is the bag buyer of the store so maybe she can explain better.

^^^ thanks TammyD! I initially thought ostrich will darken over time, e.g. develop a patina, adding a shine. Then reading some info about its colour will fade, therefore lighten rather than darken. So i'm quite confused. Is it the bottom line that there will def be dis-coloration no matter what? Be it darken or lighten? I need to have another good chat with my SA who is the bag buyer of the store so maybe she can explain better.

the problem is that ostrich is very porous so the handles absorb your hand oils and this darken them but the body is not generally so the color fades.

"Collonil Waterstop" - this is the spray that people used on their Mulberry ostrich bags. It is very gentle and prevents moisture peretrating the leather. The bag should stay like new! It is recommended to spray the bag before the first use (from about 40 sm distance), and then about eveyr month... I suppose the same method should work on H. bags as reliably, but you can always contact Hermes to double check...
Collonil protects from rainspots as well.
Hope this info helps.

Only thing is that ostrich is not afraid of water so a waterstop treatment is useless.
The problem doesn't arise from contact with water but from natural oxidation from air, normal sunlight and even hand oils.

i had black ostrich kelly--kind of end up a very charcoal color. when selecting ostrich i am always conscious of how they will fade

Hermesaholic, graycat5: Thanks for bringing up the black ostrich. I'm supremely interested in the skin, particularly in this color, because I have an outstanding PO (going on 1.5 years with no rejection yet) for a B30 in this combo. I'm a little worried about this fading. However, I have an orange ostrich agenda that has darkened considerably (deepened and patina'd) due to constant fondling..... I wonder if more frequent rubbing of the bag would keep the color deep...do we just need to caress our bags more?:graucho:

Hermesaholic, graycat5: Thanks for bringing up the black ostrich. I'm supremely interested in the skin, particularly in this color, because I have an outstanding PO (going on 1.5 years with no rejection yet) for a B30 in this combo. I'm a little worried about this fading. However, I have an orange ostrich agenda that has darkened considerably (deepened and patina'd) due to constant fondling..... I wonder if more frequent rubbing of the bag would keep the color deep...do we just need to caress our bags more?:graucho:

actually i think docride might be a good person to ask but i have always thought that heavily moisturizing the bag all over with something that contains sun protection (some leather treatments do) or at least something to limit aggressive oil saturation on the handles because you have essentially pre-treated the skin would be the best way to limit all of these problems BUT i would be afraid to do it.............

Ha ha I was thinking about the same thing! Whenever you have time, just rub the whole bag!

Sorry you mentioned brown but is it cognac or gold? TIA!

I think the color of my Ostrich B is Cafe.. i might be wrong, will try to look at the receipt tomorrow and check the color.. i enclosed some pictures here, one taken with flash, one without flash. Do forgive me if the pics are kinda blurry since its 11.30pm here and there's no natural light.. Will try to take more pictures tomorrow on day time if you're still interested to see then let me know..

With Flash
photo-3.JPG

Without Flash
photo-4.JPG

TammyD thank you for sharing your experience.. will store my Ostrich B with the flap inside for now on.. Thank you soo much for the info :flowers:

Ok. I just read Docride's leather caring thread. Seems like this Black'n rock is the product could be used on ostrich to re-conditioning and revive. This however will darken the skin somehow. So if the bag is in a dark colour, it should not be a big issue. But the darkened handles are not reversible. Mmm...

Thank you all for commenting!

Only thing is that ostrich is not afraid of water so a waterstop treatment is useless.
The problem doesn't arise from contact with water but from natural oxidation from air, normal sunlight and even hand oils.

As far as i know, Collonil helped against colour change as well (sunlight).
On the mulberry subforum it was discussed a lot... I tried it myself on bags prone to fading under sunlight, it worked. Collonil jel I used to protect snakeskin. I am not connected to Collonil!:P

I know this is a serious topic and the thread is really informative, but all I can think of when I see the title is give them lots of love and plenty of room to run around. Sorry...

You are welcome xiangxiang0731.. no no slouching at all.. holding it shapes very good. I do tend to be very careful with all of my bags but i use it quite often ever since i got it like at least once a week.. and considering its a 5 years old birdie, it still look brand new!
Enjoy your birdie! Its lovely!! :yes: