A Tale of 2 Patricias - Double Rehab Reveal!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I love finding and rehabbing inexpensive, vintage-style bags but many of them are rather small so it is a special treat when you can find a larger rehab project. For quite awhile I had wanted to find a Patricia's Legacy 9951 bag, because it is a beautiful and good-sized vintage bag with a long, cross-body strap.

One time I found one at the thrift store in terrible shape and I also had some concerns about authenticity. I was almost relieved when the authentication experts confirmed that it was a fake because it would have been a very hard rehab. I was able to exchange it for a lovely bag so that was okay, but I still wanted to find a PL bag!

Recently to my surprise I came across a dark brown one very cheaply and then I found a reasonably price tan PL soon after, so I decided to rehab them together.

They both presented some rehabbing challenges, but they are finally finished and I am very pleased with the results. Here are some after pics of both bags and also stock Coach photos because they are both still available online for $298. My total investment for both bags is $53.50.

The Patricia's Legacy bag was first introduced by Coach in 1994 and has been sold continuously in various colors since that time.

I will show before and after pics of each bag next.

To give a size comparison for the PL I have also posted a photo of the dark brown PL next to my Legacy Zip and black Stewardess bag and I included a ruler in the photo.

(L to R: Mahogany Patricia's Legacy 9951, White Legacy Zip 9966, and Black Stewardess 9525, total cost all 3 bags = $85.50.)

Attachments

• PatriciaBagsAfterRehab001.jpg
    PatriciaBagsAfterRehab001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,109
  • PatriciaBagsAfterRehab002.jpg
    PatriciaBagsAfterRehab002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • PatLegacyBrwn_Stock_Photo.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn_Stock_Photo.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • PatriciaLegacyTan_Stock_Photo.jpg
    PatriciaLegacyTan_Stock_Photo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Patricia_LegacyZip_Stewardess 003.JPG
    Patricia_LegacyZip_Stewardess 003.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited:
Here are before pics of the mahagony brown Patricia's Legacy 9951. I was made in the Dominican Republic in 1999 and kindly authenticated by Hyacinth. I only spent $4.50 on it at the Savers Thrift store, but it was dirty, and scuffed and had signficant damage so I knew that it would need professional repairs.

Attachments

• PatLegacyBrwn005.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn005.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • PatLegacyBrwn009.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn009.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • PatLegacyBrwn008.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn008.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • PatLegacyBrwn003.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn003.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • PatLegacyBrwn001.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,004
Here are after pics of the mahagony Patricia's Legacy, I will show before and after pics of the damaged areas next.

Attachments

• PatriciaBrwnAfter011.jpg
    PatriciaBrwnAfter011.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 975
  • PatriciaBrwnAfter008.jpg
    PatriciaBrwnAfter008.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 976
  • PatriciaBrwnAfter007.jpg
    PatriciaBrwnAfter007.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 979
  • PatriciaBrwnAfter002.jpg
    PatriciaBrwnAfter002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 981
  • PatriciaBrwnAfter001.jpg
    PatriciaBrwnAfter001.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 995
Reactions: Hoku44
Here are some pics of the damage to the mahagony PL. The leather of the flap had ripped away from the back of the bag. Also, it had a nasty white stain on the front that had damaged the leather.

I was planning to try and fix the stain myself, but I had to take the bag to the cobbler to have the stitching repaired. While I was there I asked about the stain and he told me that he could clean and smooth the area and spot-dye it to make the damage much less visible.

I decided to let him fix both problems and he charged a total of $28 for the repair so my total investment in this bag is $32.50. The first 2 photos are close-ups of the damage before the repairs and the last 3 pics are after it came back fixed (but before I had cleaned and rehabbed the bag.)

I think he did a great job and I am happy that I decided to have the work done professionally. I will show pics of the tan PL bag next.

Attachments

• PatLegacyBrwn012.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn012.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • PatLegacyBrwn014.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwn014.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • PatLegacyBrwnRepair001.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwnRepair001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,017
  • PatLegacyBrwnRepair002.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwnRepair002.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • PatLegacyBrwnRepair005.jpg
    PatLegacyBrwnRepair005.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,015
Beautiful

Lovely and you and the cobbler did a great job. I am glad he could help for a reasonable charge - nice of you to support a local business! I like cobblers! And great eye for those Patricias!

Gorgeous!! Your cobbler did a great job with the repair and the stain!

Thank you! I have tried a few local cobblers but this one does the best work, although his prices are sometimes higher - but it is worth it IMO!

Reactions: Couturexec
Thank you for sharing. This style is on my "want" list :smile: The work you had done looks amazing and I think I am going to check out my local cobbler for my courier pouch that has some damage and extreme dryness. The bags are beautiful, great job! Off to order a bottle of emu oil....

Thank you for sharing. This style is on my "want" list :smile: The work you had done looks amazing and I think I am going to check out my local cobbler for my courier pouch that has some damage and extreme dryness. The bags are beautiful, great job! Off to order a bottle of emu oil....

Good luck with your courier pouch, be sure and post some pictures! Here is the bottle of Emu Oil that I ordered (NMA) but there are smaller sizes and other brands available. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-oz-EMU-O...876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c601ceacc

Last edited:
Just for fun I've posted photos of the new updated Legacy Leather Patricia 19921 that was just released by Coach so that we can compare the new bags to the originals - they are all beautiful bags!

Attachments

• NewLegacyPatriciaCognac2012.jpg
    NewLegacyPatriciaCognac2012.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 549
  • NewLegacyPatriciaBlk2012.jpg
    NewLegacyPatriciaBlk2012.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 473
What a great job! I like how the Emu Oil took care of the wrinkling, that's amazing! And the cobbler did a great job. Really great job! The bags look really nice!

I think my favorite is your white zip....the color is just "standout" gorgeous!

How do you feel about the patricia bag leather? It doesn't seem as thick to me? I felt some of the new bags in a flagship store and they weren't as thick as I had hoped they would be. Anyway, enjoy your newest additions!! :biggrin:

What a great job! I like how the Emu Oil took care of the wrinkling, that's amazing! And the cobbler did a great job. Really great job! The bags look really nice!

I think my favorite is your white zip....the color is just "standout" gorgeous!

How do you feel about the patricia bag leather? It doesn't seem as thick to me? I felt some of the new bags in a flagship store and they weren't as thick as I had hoped they would be. Anyway, enjoy your newest additions!! :biggrin:

Thank you and I was very pleased with the work done by the cobbler. I found the white legacy zip at a garage sale for a mere $8 but it was a very challenging rehab. You can see the before and after pics at the links below.

I have not seen the new Legacy Leather Patricia IRL so I can't comment about it, except to say that it is very pretty and I love the big tassels!

I did look at the new, updated Stewardess bag that was released last year. I thought that it was beautiful and the bag was light-weight and that can be a big plus. The leather was very shiny and pretty but it seemed a bit stiff and I was afraid it would scratch.

I prefer my heavier weight, vintage Stewardess with thick, squishy leather and more substainial hardware. I also liked the price a lot better because I paid $45 for my Stewardess at the Salvation Army store and the new ones were selling for $348!

But not everybody likes vintage styles or pre-owned bags, and that's okay too!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452-302.html#post22428391

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club-624452-302.html#post22428419

Last edited: