A little shopping trip today...

May 10, 2011
As much as I love Hermes, I do not get the occasion to go to a boutique all that often and due to my student loan debt from business school-- it will be awhile yet before I can shop to my heart's content.

However, every once in awhile a girl needs to treat herself. I had been wanting a wallet for a very long time (been using a cheap little Vera Bradley pouch for my cards) and I wanted one of the Maxi Twilly's since I love the length and size.

Here is my little reveal-- I was losing daylight so the lighting is a little off.

IMG_1634_zps63f1cffd.jpg

Ended up getting a Silk'in wallet in Bougainvillea with blue electrique spangles interior. Wanted something small as I tend to carry small bags such as my picotin PM and usually want to have something small in my laptop tote.

IMG_1636_zps63225f57.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsf9073c29.jpg

Next, I ended up with a Kachinas Maxi Twilly-- my favorite scarves are made by Wolff et Descourtis in Paris-- they are more like shawls - silk and wool-- with intricate designs, so sometimes I just want lots of fabric versus the 90 carre.

Originally, I was looking at a red color way and the SA said she had one in the back that I may like a little more. It had just arrived on Thursday and I indeed preferred it in the Rose/Vert.

IMG_1639_zps43e9ed3a.jpg

IMG_1640_zps6de416ef.jpg

Finally, I was drawn to the De la Mer au Ciel scarf hanging up in the store, normally I am not so drawn to busy designs, but this one really drew me in and I wanted to look at all of the colors in stock. I ended up with the salmon/orange type. I was drawn to one of the blues, but have too may blue based scarves so I thought this would shake up my world. So beautiful.

I liked the metamorphosis message too-- this year I started a wonderful new job, my major goal once I realized post MBA that I hated to return to corporate America. I also made a promise to myself if I lost 60 lbs then I would buy myself a brand new bag (Double Sens, Garden Party or So Kelly are in the list). So I am hoping this scarf will continue to motivate and serve as a fantastic reminder.

IMG_1645_zpsb0bbe82a.jpg

IMG_1647-1_zps5aadd3fc.jpg

Finally, the SA at the Charlotte store was amazingly wonderful; anytime I walk into that store they are always so wonderful. We somehow got into the conversation about my mother, who lives with me and has a disability due to the need for a knee replacement. She had given me a deluxe sample of Jour d'Hermes Absolu l'eau de parfum for my travels (I am a consultant by trade and end up traveling 50-75% of the time) and then she wrapped another bottle of it as a gift to my mother. Super kind. My mother was TICKLED! I really love the fragrance.

IMG_1649_zpsb66d6b1c.jpg

Sorry that the pictures were so terrible, I was excited and wanted to get something up!

Reactions: MamaSleepy
Congratulations--on your new job, on completing your MBA, and on your beautiful new H items! I love the pop colors inside the wallet and the scarves are all wonderful. The fragrance for your mom was a nice finishing touch! A girl needs to treat herself once in a while! :biggrin:

Congratulations--on your new job, on completing your MBA, and on your beautiful new H items! I love the pop colors inside the wallet and the scarves are all wonderful. The fragrance for your mom was a nice finishing touch! A girl needs to treat herself once in a while! :biggrin:

You are too kind Fabfashion. Thank you!

My mom, she works from home for an airline, has already tried to perfume. I can smell it when I walk into her room. I normally a Guerlain and Dior perfume wearer but I actually really love this Hermes scent. It is fresh and light, perfect for the summer.

Congrats on your life accomplishments and your new H!!! De la Mer au Ciel is such a wonderful and fun pattern. Enjoy wearing it! :biggrin:

Beautiful wallet as well. Please let us know how it holds up. I've been using a Bottega Veneta wallet for years and whilst I love it I am searching for something new in order to give it a rest [they really are workhorses, those BV wallets!]. I have been considering the Silk-In but worry that the lining will wear out much more quickly then the leather. H leather lasts forever and so do their silks but the daily in/out of cards may cause it to wear more than say a scarf would. Does it appear thick enough to handle this? I have not seen it IRL, only on the website, so have not been able to judge for myself.

Congrats on your life accomplishments and your new H!!! De la Mer au Ciel is such a wonderful and fun pattern. Enjoy wearing it! :biggrin:

Beautiful wallet as well. Please let us know how it holds up. I've been using a Bottega Veneta wallet for years and whilst I love it I am searching for something new in order to give it a rest [they really are workhorses, those BV wallets!]. I have been considering the Silk-In but worry that the lining will wear out much more quickly then the leather. H leather lasts forever and so do their silks but the daily in/out of cards may cause it to wear more than say a scarf would. Does it appear thick enough to handle this? I have not seen it IRL, only on the website, so have not been able to judge for myself.

Hi Bostonjetset-- the silk is definitely reinforced.

On the accordion part (for lack of a better description), the silk has a black backing-- I am wondering if that is another silk to give it some extra "girth" and structure. In the credit card slips, it feels like the material has been doubled up. Inside the coin purse section, it has the black backing in the inside and feels as doubled up as the actual credit card pockets.

The SA told me she has seen wallets from her customers in long term use and they have held up well. She had one customer get the silk inside the wallet cleaned by the Tie Crafters cleaner in NY. She also told me that you can carry up to 2 cards in each section and that she would not recommend putting more than 2 in each pocket.

Overall, it feels very solid and I am not really worried about it wearing out. I have a cheap change purse for actual change, so I can't see what will end up wearing out in this wallet. I plan to use the zippered area for receipts, for the day until I scan them later that evening (or after a trip).

I drove to Charlotte (about 2.5 hours from me) so I could handle them in person versus the website since I was worried about how much "work" the wallet could put up with as I am not one who tends to use multiple wallets in different bags (too lazy!). Once I felt the wallets, I was content with paying for them. :smile:

I will make a reminder to myself to give an update in about six months as that will include a lot of daily use!

As much as I love Hermes, I do not get the occasion to go to a boutique all that often and due to my student loan debt from business school-- it will be awhile yet before I can shop to my heart's content.

However, every once in awhile a girl needs to treat herself. I had been wanting a wallet for a very long time (been using a cheap little Vera Bradley pouch for my cards) and I wanted one of the Maxi Twilly's since I love the length and size.

Here is my little reveal-- I was losing daylight so the lighting is a little off.

IMG_1634_zps63f1cffd.jpg

Ended up getting a Silk'in wallet in Bougainvillea with blue electrique spangles interior. Wanted something small as I tend to carry small bags such as my picotin PM and usually want to have something small in my laptop tote.

IMG_1636_zps63225f57.jpg

IMG_1638_zpsf9073c29.jpg

Next, I ended up with a Kachinas Maxi Twilly-- my favorite scarves are made by Wolff et Descourtis in Paris-- they are more like shawls - silk and wool-- with intricate designs, so sometimes I just want lots of fabric versus the 90 carre.

Originally, I was looking at a red color way and the SA said she had one in the back that I may like a little more. It had just arrived on Thursday and I indeed preferred it in the Rose/Vert.

IMG_1639_zps43e9ed3a.jpg

IMG_1640_zps6de416ef.jpg

Finally, I was drawn to the De la Mer au Ciel scarf hanging up in the store, normally I am not so drawn to busy designs, but this one really drew me in and I wanted to look at all of the colors in stock. I ended up with the salmon/orange type. I was drawn to one of the blues, but have too may blue based scarves so I thought this would shake up my world. So beautiful.

I liked the metamorphosis message too-- this year I started a wonderful new job, my major goal once I realized post MBA that I hated to return to corporate America. I also made a promise to myself if I lost 60 lbs then I would buy myself a brand new bag (Double Sens, Garden Party or So Kelly are in the list). So I am hoping this scarf will continue to motivate and serve as a fantastic reminder.

IMG_1645_zpsb0bbe82a.jpg

IMG_1647-1_zps5aadd3fc.jpg

Finally, the SA at the Charlotte store was amazingly wonderful; anytime I walk into that store they are always so wonderful. We somehow got into the conversation about my mother, who lives with me and has a disability due to the need for a knee replacement. She had given me a deluxe sample of Jour d'Hermes Absolu l'eau de parfum for my travels (I am a consultant by trade and end up traveling 50-75% of the time) and then she wrapped another bottle of it as a gift to my mother. Super kind. My mother was TICKLED! I really love the fragrance.

IMG_1649_zpsb66d6b1c.jpg

Sorry that the pictures were so terrible, I was excited and wanted to get something up!
Love your choices!

I too love Wolff and Decourtis scarves!

all are GREAT picks
i love the contrast you have going on with your wallet. love. no words.
and your maxi twilly is in such a special combination!
not to mention your scarf, also great matches..
i think now we know that charlotte has a great h store!!

and of course congratulation on life!!

What a great story I especially love how SA gave perfume for Mom too! Congrats on the MBA and your lovely purchases. Hang in there on the weight loss goal. I am 74 lbs down working my way toward 100. Every time I hit an increment of 20 or 25 lbs I treat myself to a Hermes reward of some sort...it helps keep me motivated!

What a great story I especially love how SA gave perfume for Mom too! Congrats on the MBA and your lovely purchases. Hang in there on the weight loss goal. I am 74 lbs down working my way toward 100. Every time I hit an increment of 20 or 25 lbs I treat myself to a Hermes reward of some sort...it helps keep me motivated!

Wow AZPurseGirl, congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

I like your plan-- I love the idea of making milestones and using Hermes as special gifts.

I *think* I may try this as well for each 25lb to keep up my encouragement!