60-year-old N.J. woman delivers twins

ValleyO

O.G.
Mar 18, 2006
All I can say is WHOA :wtf:

sourceAP.gif
Updated: 6:47 a.m. PT May 23, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. - A 60-year-old woman became a mother, twice over, when she delivered a pair of boys Tuesday.
Frieda Birnbaum gave birth to “Baby A” at 12:44 p.m. and “Baby B” a minute later by Caesarean section at Hackensack University Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Radwin said. The twins each weighed 4 pounds, 11 ounces, she said.
“The mom is in recovery, and she and the babies are doing really well,” Radwin said, declining a request to speak with the mother.

Hospital officials believe Birnbaum may be the oldest woman to give birth to twins in the United States, Radwin said.

Birnbaum, a psychologist from Saddle River, underwent in-vitro fertilization last year in Cape Town, South Africa, at a center that specializes in older women. She and her husband, Ken, a New York attorney, have been married for 38 years and have three other children — sons ages 6 and 33 and a daughter, 29.
Birnbaum told Fox News she wanted her younger son to have siblings closer to his age and wanted to remove some of the stigma attached to older women giving birth.
Coincidentally, Tuesday was the birthday of twins born one year ago to a 59-year-old woman — also to a New Jersey woman. Lauren Cohen gave birth to Gregory and Giselle on May 22, 2006, at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia.

Is it just me, or is there something a bit...wrong about this? I mean, the mother is 60 years old. She'll be in her 80s when those kids go to college, if she even lives that long. I don't know, I just don't think that, just because medical advances make it possible, people should do it, KWIM? Women aren't supposed to be having babies in their 60s--that's the whole idea behind menopause. JMO! I'm glad mom and babes are doing well....

Is it just me, or is there something a bit...wrong about this? I mean, the mother is 60 years old. She'll be in her 80s when those kids go to college, if she even lives that long. I don't know, I just don't think that, just because medical advances make it possible, people should do it, KWIM? Women aren't supposed to be having babies in their 60s--that's the whole idea behind menopause. JMO! I'm glad mom and babes are doing well....

I agree. That is the time you take trips and want grandkids!?!

:yes:

I'm glad the kids have some older brothers and sisters that will be able to look after them. In a few years, this woman may not be able to raise teenagers...she will be in her 70s

I'm glad that the babies are doing fine, but yeah, I think it's extremely selfish. Think of all the things these kids are going to miss out on. At prom age the mom will be 77 years old, is she going to be healthy enough to be out there taking pictures with the other parents? What about being class mom and going on field trips? What about when they get married? Are the parents even going to be alive to see that?

I also think it's really unfair to the 33 year old brother. If something happens to their parents, that's a lot to ask of someone both emotionally and financially-especially since he was opposed to the idea in the first place. To saddle another person with that really sucks. What if he refuses to raise them?

One of our most active and involved foster parents is almost eighty. I think she turns seventy nine or something this year. We (my supervisor and coworker) just placed a teenaged female into her home. She has also raised, from birth, an adopted, special needs daughter. She likely got custody of her daughter when she was in her early sixties, and keep in mind, her daughter was an infant then. Previously she'd had a ten year old and a seventeen year old in her home. She's also raised four boys, the oldest of whom is in his fifties (she had biological children as a teenager). You know what? She does a VERY good job with our kids, her age notwithstanding. I also have a couple of aunts, who, around the ages of sixty to seventy, helped out their own children with their younger kids. I know it's not technically the same as having a baby at sixty, but for all intents and purposes, even though this lady had twins at sixty and will be in her seventies when the children are teens, she very well might be capable of attending to their needs and raising them properly. Hey, stranger things have happened.

I saw this on the news... like details of the delivery (C-Section) and everything.. it was INCREDIBLE!! The babies were soooo cute and the woman was so happy!!!

I was so happy for her, because most would think 60 is an OLD 60.. but she is very young at heart.. Id say she acted like 40 ;)

If she's healthy enough to give birth at 60 I'm sure she'll stay healthy enough to see her kids through their 20s. ^_^ I wish them the best, I don't realyl have any problem with this.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a couple of friends who's parents wanted to have kids again in their 50's. In the end they decided not to. Because what if they were to pass earlier. Not everyone is guaranteed 'long life' and the thought of them leaving the children on their own if they were to pass away in 10 years horrified them.