2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

I maintain that the quality of new bags is inconsistent at best.

I purchased this Jimmy Choo BonBon exactly a month ago and have worn it only 3 times. Yet the cap on the end of the cord is pulling away. :annoyed: This is incredibly disappointing as I enjoyed the look and function of the bag but now have to return it. I’m very careful with my bags so this never should have happened. IMG_7894.jpegIMG_7895.jpeg

Sigh this means neither of the bags I purchased last month to fill a true identified need (black medium/small-ish everyday bag with gold hardware) worked out. So, now I have to come out of my ban island cave where I’d just defeated the buying monster and look for a replacement.

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!

:mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown:

Being candid, I’ll need to be conscious of my decision not to buy any other bags along the way. I can resist temptation when I’m not looking at bags. But, it’s hard not to let serendipity get me off track as I’m looking for just ONE addition.

In any case, I’m open to suggestions for new models to explore.

My favorite response to condescension is “I see you have an elementary understanding of the topic, what part are you struggling to understand?”

At one point in my career, I was teaching technology to adults. It went about as well as you might think
If my mom was in your class, then you were severely underpaid and deserve a massive bonus!

My parents came around to visit on Tuesday, for lunch , and the afternoon.My Mum has fronto temporal dementia (knows who everyone is, but it oftens affects her speech), but still loves bags as much as ever, and carries one which I bought her around my parents’ house.

As they came into the hallway, my Mum picked up my Raylowi navy crocodile handbag several times and said in crystal clear English “This is nice!”.

She was very affectionate towards me all afternoon and spoke clear English..to my Dad’s surprise.
The following day I texted him and offered him the bag for my Mum as she’d admired it.
He has no idea of crocodile..and accepted.

So now I need a new bag!
Luckily I have another navy crocodile/alligator bag, although it was a very useful size..

but she IS my Mum, I wouldn’t have given it to anybody else..

I purchased this Jimmy Choo BonBon exactly a month ago and have worn it only 3 times. Yet the cap on the end of the cord is pulling away. :annoyed: This is incredibly disappointing as I enjoyed the look and function of the bag but now have to return it. I’m very careful with my bags so this never should have happened. View attachment 5997806View attachment 5997807

Sigh this means neither of the bags I purchased last month to fill a true identified need (black medium/small-ish everyday bag with gold hardware) worked out. So, now I have to come out of my ban island cave where I’d just defeated the buying monster and look for a replacement.

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!

Being candid, I’ll need to be conscious of my decision not to buy any other bags along the way. I can resist temptation when I’m not looking at bags. But, it’s hard not to let serendipity get me off track as I’m looking for just ONE addition.

I'm so disappointed for you. The price of (all) these big brand bags seems well beyond their worth.

Going: 6 more bags on the chopping block (mostly very cool vintage but sadly they have to go). 3 more undecideds (all convertible clutches from 1970s). I have a woven leather bag (not BV) I'm going to ask friends if they want first. It's an E-W tote, but one of those with long rolled handles that look out of proportion (to me) and are not comfortable on the shoulder, but it's a very gorgeous bag.

Easy goodbyes: Some things I remember wearing to death, and just are not me now. Does anyone remember that kooky, quirky, patchwork, picture, clashing prints thing in the early '00s? Lots of ra-ra skits too. I don't mind if they're really short and look a but like a tutu, or the art-deco drape-y, but the raged-y stuff is going (apart from a JPG skirt made from ties).

Staying: Found a fab 1980s Burberry I'd completely forgotten about. I didn't think it was my mother's because olive was not her colour at all, so maybe another relative. I also rediscovered my olive, suede Prada waist-bag - and actually, even though I got thoroughly sick of it, suddenly it looked so good last night again.

Star finds:I found my (Valentino Couture) wedding skirt, but I haven't found the top yet :search: I found the square neck crepe, Saint Laurent, top I've worn with it a lot in recent years, but not the original - that's gonna bug me now. I can make it look very non-bridal. My sister has my mother's very big, bold and stunning silk-satin wedding dress, and I always thought it was so sad it's just 'there'. I have my grandmother's dress she wore to my mother's wedding (between sage and olive) and with a bit of tailoring (if I ever get round to it) could actually wear it.

Today's shopping from wardrobe: Gonna wear my Gucci Valentine Leather Hearts Boston today for lunch. DH actually caught it for me - but I'm not sure he'll rememberI literally dug it out from the black hole that is my wardrobe. Hopefully I remember - to take pics. Gonna wear an old denim pencil skirt, black body, Scottish cashmere, orange-red cardigan, ankle boots (gotta walk along the beach and through a field LOL). Saint Laurent sunglasses. Very 50s/60 New Wave Italian cinema but in technicolour glory. Belt? Not sure - that bag is so full-on...Maybe a chain belt.

DH is home. He's gone to yoga right now. Tues went for a new scan. His original tumour is GONE :yahoo: - but the secondaries are still apparent :sad: . The good news is something is working somewhere, somehow. Meeting out for lunch.

Hard nos:
  • No clutches. I don’t want to have to carry a bag all day.
  • Not a fan of slouchy bags. I don’t like it when they turn into a puddle of canvas or leather.
  • Short strap drops. I hate it when bags are in my armpit or sit high crossbody.
  • Hand carry/crook of the arm only carry bags. Sorry Birkin!
  • Tiny bags that don’t hold anything but hopes & disappointment. What’s the point?
  • There’s a trend currently of putting a million charms, chains, twillies, planes and trains on bags right now. I like some personalization, but this trend is too much for me.

I think a charm works best on a bag when it's unexpected. A scarf works for me though.

Going: 6 more bags on the chopping block (mostly very cool vintage but sadly they have to go). 3 more undecideds (all convertible clutches from 1970s). I have a woven leather bag (not BV) I'm going to ask friends if they want first. It's an E-W tote, but one of those with long rolled handles that look out of proportion (to me) and are not comfortable on the shoulder, but it's a very gorgeous bag.

Easy goodbyes: Some things I remember wearing to death, and just are not me now. Does anyone remember that kooky, quirky, patchwork, picture, clashing prints thing in the early '00s? Lots of ra-ra skits too. I don't mind if they're really short and look a but like a tutu, or the art-deco drape-y, but the raged-y stuff is going (apart from a JPG skirt made from ties).

Staying: Found a fab 1980s Burberry I'd completely forgotten about. I didn't think it was my mother's because olive was not her colour at all, so maybe another relative. I also rediscovered my olive, suede Prada waist-bag - and actually, even though I got thoroughly sick of it, suddenly it looked so good last night again.

Star finds:I found my (Valentino Couture) wedding skirt, but I haven't found the top yet :search: I found the square neck crepe, Saint Laurent, top I've worn with it a lot in recent years, but not the original - that's gonna bug me now. I can make it look very non-bridal. My sister has my mother's very big, bold and stunning silk-satin wedding dress, and I always thought it was so sad it's just 'there'. I have my grandmother's dress she wore to my mother's wedding (between sage and olive) and with a bit of tailoring (if I ever get round to it) could actually wear it.

Today's shopping from wardrobe: Gonna wear my Gucci Valentine Leather Hearts Boston today for lunch. DH actually caught it for me - but I'm not sure he'll rememberI literally dug it out from the black hole that is my wardrobe. Hopefully I remember - to take pics. Gonna wear an old denim pencil skirt, black body, Scottish cashmere, orange-red cardigan, ankle boots (gotta walk along the beach and through a field LOL). Saint Laurent sunglasses. Very 50s/60 New Wave Italian cinema but in technicolour glory. Belt? Not sure - that bag is so full-on...Maybe a chain belt.

DH is home. He's gone to yoga right now. Tues went for a new scan. His original tumour is GONE :yahoo: - but the secondaries are still apparent :sad: . The good news is something is working somewhere, somehow. Meeting out for lunch.
I am so happy to hear the news.

I’m so happy to hear DH is making progress with his health :hugs:

I purchased this Jimmy Choo BonBon exactly a month ago and have worn it only 3 times. Yet the cap on the end of the cord is pulling away. :annoyed: This is incredibly disappointing as I enjoyed the look and function of the bag but now have to return it. I’m very careful with my bags so this never should have happened. View attachment 5997806View attachment 5997807

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!

I am sorry this happened. It is so frustrating! Good luck on your search. You’re looking for smooth leather with gold hardware. I will keep my eyes open.

Excellent outs and finds, and even better news about the original tumor. Here’s to hoping treatment continues to work and those secondaries likewise disappear. Hugs!

I posted this an LV purchase thread, but I think I forgot to share it here. Introducing my Mother’s Day gift from DH and DD, the Louis Vuitton Speedy 20 in Monogram Empreinte; color is Pink Opale. I’m failing miserably at shopping my own closet as of late, but I’ve long wanted a pink bag (hard to find the right pink!), love this size and LV makes up most of my bag, SLG and charm wardrobe, so it’s a go-to for me. The second photo is of my three 20s together for comparison. I bought the lighter one at the end of March while doing college visits with DD. The darker one was a purchase from our Las Vegas trip in early July of last year.

IMG_3075.jpegIMG_3076.jpeg

I posted this an LV purchase thread, but I think I forgot to share it here. Introducing my Mother’s Day gift from DH and DD, the Louis Vuitton Speedy 20 in Monogram Empreinte; color is Pink Opale. I’m failing miserably at shopping my own closet as of late, but I’ve long wanted a pink bag (hard to find the right pink!), love this size and LV makes up most of my bag, SLG and charm wardrobe, so it’s a go-to for me. The second photo is of my three 20s together for comparison. I bought the lighter one at the end of March while doing college visits with DD. The darker one was a purchase from our Las Vegas trip in early July of last year.

View attachment 5998671View attachment 5998672
They are all beautiful.