2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

Yesterday I came across this bag at an opening of a new store in our area. It was very inexpensive so I grabbed it, but I generally wouldn’t buy a bag from this company, because of where it is made. It is exactly the color I want and have been looking but I am a bit jaded and not sure whether to keep it just for the color.

173023F8-6FAD-4640-B9AA-245A921C051B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday I came across this bag at an opening of a new store in our area. It was very inexpensive so I grabbed it, but I generally wouldn’t buy a bag from this company. It is exactly the color I want and have been looking but I am a bit jaded and not sure whether to keep it just for the color.
I like Patricia Nash, but I only have one SLG. I do really like the color of her tanned leather. Luminous.

I like Patricia Nash, but I only have one SLG. I do really like the color of her tanned leather. Luminous.
Has it worn well? I like the layout of my bag with the exception that it has a magnetic closure on the outside pockets, but it has pockets for my phone and glasses inside. The size is fine as it is not that big and could go Crossbody.

@dcooney4 , if you love the bag and will wear it, keep. Otherwise return

coffee2go’s quote below (interspersed with my opinion :smile:

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too.

So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at,
yes. I feel it most with respect to RTW bc my bag collection is somewhat stable. In 2001, a chanel boucle jacket was 1200 USD. This year 7800-10K and up. I only buy a few pieces, but now I buy even less frequently; I cherish my older pieces (i still have RTW from 1990s and vintage from earlier decades); and shop both boutique and vintage. Two other boutique brands (dior and brunello) have skyrocketed, and with a few exceptions, provide less value than chanel. Hermes RTW in Paris is 30% less retail, so that helps when I like the pieces.

or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)?
yes. I buy a lot less. I wait to see if it’s a forever purchase. I’m fortunately a late adapter of bags that aren’t the most popular, so I can take advantage of some preloved buys at significantly better prices.

Or maybe you feel like you have enough and can pause for now?
yes. I took a long hiatus of years from shopping luxury. I prefer to wait for price drops. during Covid, I obtained discounts of 40-60% off retail. Now that prices have risen, I’ve paused except for a few retail offers that I’ve waited a long time for and cannot get at resale at a reasonable price.

Or rather than getting a bag at a retail price, you’d rather go for pre-owned?
absolutely if i can get a structurally sound deal in the leather, size, and style that I want. I can send to third party professional spa (IMO better, faster than boutique spa) for cosmetic issues.

Do you think some brands are not worth it anymore the price they’re asking?
IMO most brands are not worth retail price. Although I rarely consign, i am not really interested in retail prices for brands that will not hold value in the resale market; that are less well made; that are not classic purchases. it is a calculus among those factors and cost per wear. I also do not want to risk spending a lot on a brand or style that is unknown to me. I’d rather buy the same style, different Color, leather, size, and know with reasonable certainty that it will be a forever piece. My style has been relatively stable for three decades of shopping.

I’m definitely starting to feel I have more than enough and will try to focus more on “shopping” my own collection :smile: and so happy I got a chance to get the bags I wanted for a fairer price (some even on sale)
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely agree. I cherish what I already own and my Covid deals (Those deals are unlikely to come around again for a while)

Now that resale has gone up, I also am happy for the opportunity to purchase some items for a better price.

ETA: I do see signs of the resale market softening, and I don’t mind waiting
all this is JMO, and YMMV

Last edited:
Interesting note on the secondhand luxury bags rising their prices too, especially when it comes to popular bags like LV or Chanel, do you think it’s because sellers try to narrow the gap between retail and their price and maximize the profit? Sometimes the price difference is so small, that I rather think better to get the new bag from a boutique than having to deal with uncertainty of overall bag condition, authenticity, and so, but that’s totally different topic.

100%! :tup:

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too. So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at, or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)? Or maybe you feel like you have enough and can pause for now? Or rather than getting a bag at a retail price, you’d rather go for pre-owned? Do you think some brands are not worth it anymore the price they’re asking?

I’m definitely starting to feel I have more than enough and will try to focus more on “shopping” my own collection :smile: and so happy I got a chance to get the bags I wanted for a fairer price (some even on sale)

The Jade Gucci shoulder bag I took out Mon eve (and hopefully will take out again tonight) was around £650 in 2004. I know we're almost 20 years later but only my property has gone up as much. A new Gucci bag (looking at 'normal' leather shoulder bag 2.4K) that's approx 4.5 x. I do love a good Gucci bag though, and I hate the way people treat their Gucci bags (versus H) so I buy new. I was OK thinking about new bag prices at Hermes 2014, '15, '16 but I can't even look at Hermes bags (re. prices) any more. Even when I look at H scarves, their fine jewellery makes better economic sense. I have 15 H bags. What would actually be the point of buying more?

I would certainly go preloved if the bag was 'missing' from my collection. Honestly, there is nothing missing from my collection, everything from now on would be pure indulgence but I'm still in the game for the Asprey red briefcase (which will be one of my few bright red bags too). It won't resell well at all but it happens to be the perfect FO&D briefcase for a woman that means business :P.

We totally lucked into Benares. It turned out a good friend from home was in London the same week as we were and I realized this might be the case about halfway through the trip. We had lunch with him and his friend from Poland one day and had so much fun that we scheduled dinner the next night; he recommended Benares because his neighbor from home always talks about it. The meal was divine and that trip is a favorite memory! DH and I both had the amazing lobster dish in the below photo.

View attachment 5407939

That looks totally yummy!

• Thanks
Reactions: DME and Katinahat

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too.

So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at,
yes. I feel it most with respect to RTW bc my bag collection is somewhat stable. In 2001, a chanel boucle jacket was 1200 USD. This year 7800-10K and up. I only buy a few pieces, but now I buy even less frequently; I cherish my older pieces (i still have RTW from 1990s and vintage from earlier decades); and shop both boutique and vintage. Two other boutique brands (dior and brunello) have skyrocketed, and with a few exceptions, provide less value than chanel. Hermes RTW in Paris is 30% less retail, so that helps when I like the pieces.

or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)?
yes. I buy a lot less. I wait to see if it’s a forever purchase. I’m fortunately a late adapter of bags that aren’t the most popular, so I can take advantage of some preloved buys at significantly better prices.

yes. I took a long hiatus of years from shopping luxury. I prefer to wait for price drops. during Covid, I obtained discounts of 40-60% off retail. Now that prices have risen, I’ve paused except for a few retail offers that I’ve waited a long time for and cannot get at resale at a reasonable price.

absolutely if i can get a structurally sound deal in the leather, size, and style that I want. I can send to third party professional spa (IMO better, faster than boutique spa) for cosmetic issues.

IMO most brands are not worth retail price. Although I rarely consign, i am not really interested in retail prices for brands that will not hold value in the resale market; that are less well made; that are not classic purchases. it is a calculus among those factors and cost per wear. I also do not want to risk spending a lot on a brand or style that is unknown to me. I’d rather buy the same style, different Color, leather, size, and know with reasonable certainty that it will be a forever piece. My style has been relatively stable for three decades of shopping.

Absolutely agree. I cherish what I already own and my Covid deals (Those deals are unlikely to come around again for a while)

Now that resale has gone up, I also am happy for the opportunity to purchase some items for a better price.

[/QUOTE]
Forgot to add, I stop shopping when I am at a high weight or low weight for my range. Bc I cannot properly gauge style choices at high weight; and if I buy at low weight, it only fits or looks appropriate for a nano second. So that, plus price hikes at retail and resale, are serious factors to curb shopping (for years, not months). For me, it’s either feast or famine. :smile:

I’m still struggling with being retriggered. I had to go to a work related concert last night which was beautiful but listening to music is emotive and difficult in the situation where the whole audience knows who I am and I can’t leave. My new therapist has been very helpful by email and this is reassuring. We have an appointment next week. This is good as my mood is low with some flashbacks and lots of unhealthy ruminating.

I think I’ve realised since beginning schema work in therapy, that shopping is a mental crutch for me as well as a hobby. At some levels it’s a MH issue. At one level, I need to look and feel good (having been told I don’t by M and abused for my choices by my ex). I don’t want anyone to be able to be critical. At another functional level, looking at things to buy online is a constant activity that stops me thinking with the buzz that comes from purchasing wonderful but short lived. It’s an addiction in the same way as my tendency to overwork and food related issues, none of these are now at the level of being self destructive, but they are to some extent maladaptive nevertheless.

With my Mini Alexa being squeal worthy and the pale pink Brioche being that sought after neutral, my bag urges are satisfied for a while. I’m no longer so drawn to the Gucci Marmont. Only the flap version has the practical option of doubling the strap for shoulder carry that the Brioche has and a pale colour would get terrible dye transfer. Therefore, I’m stating I want to shop my own collection for the rest of the year and into next. Please feel free to remind me of this!

The only thing I’m considering is a shoulder strap for my mini Alexa. Adding this would give that shoulder carry option to protect it from dye transfer too (it’s crossbody or top handle only at the moment) but the strap along is nearly £400. Costs more than many bags and makes the Alexa seriously pricey. Would need to see it on to know if it would work with the style but I think it would.
View attachment 5408197

Also, I just bought my sister a leather Ted Baker camera bag in a flash (all stock) sale to give her as a birthday present next month and it’s lovely less than 1/4 of the cost of the pink Mulberry strap alone! My sister has one Radley bag she uses for everything plus a MK I gave her recently. I’m hoping this will be a fun bag for casual use when our families go on holiday together in August.
View attachment 5408199View attachment 5408200

Clothes wise, I don’t need anything except a pair of shorts for the summer. None of mine fit - too big or too small! I’ve also seen some neutral pink sandals which are crying out to be bought for my Nice holiday. Not buying anything here will be more of a problem than bags when there are so many beautiful things around. I’m not sure I can manage!

Edit: sorry for the long post - clearly using TPF as a MH break/distraction this morning. :lol:
The emotive impact of music is an unexpected thing. A curve ball. Who could prepared themselves for that? What a pressure to have everyone know you.

Regarding coping mechanisms, they are not a problem unless they are causing a problem. A few years ago I was freaked out that DH was drinking more. A lot of old people drink a lot because they can--no pressure to get up and go to work. His was not a coping mechanism--it was just his idea of a good time. I was freaked because I was afraid he would turn into an alcoholic. I finally decided his drinking was not causing any problems so it didn't matter. He was still carrying out all his responsibilities, he wasn't hungover, his health is good. It was only a problem because I was making it a problem.

My point is don't make purse shopping a problem if it is not. Overwork is not a problem unless it is making you too tired or stressed or causing family problems. Over-eating--maybe not the best--but does it really matter if you have clothes that fit and husband who loves you? Coping mechanisms are a good thing. People who don't have problems don't need them. If you have something to deal with, you want well developed coping mechanism. You don't want coping mechanisms that are so good that they keep you from dealing with the root problem, but that is not your case. I say celebrate those coping mechanisms.

RTW is crazy!

I think that is because it's like the rest of the world has 'suddenly' discovered clothes.

At the Gucci event, a silk jacquard suit jacket was £5K. It wasn't bespoke, just MTO. MTO (wool boucle) skirt of another suit £2K, I would have bought it but youwcouldn't buy it unless you bought the jacket. I would have never worn the jacket and skirt together and I didn't really like the (blouson, short, feathered-sleeve) jacket so what would be the point? Now I'm thinking the £2K red velvet jacket before Christmas (also MTO) was a bargain. Perhaps that's the point.

Yesterday I came across this bag at an opening of a new store in our area. It was very inexpensive so I grabbed it, but I generally wouldn’t buy a bag from this company, because of where it is made. It is exactly the color I want and have been looking but I am a bit jaded and not sure whether to keep it just for the color.

View attachment 5408264

The colour is great, I think it's very pretty and useful looking, but only you can decide if you want to keep it.

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too. So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at, or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)? Or maybe you feel like you have enough and can pause for now? Or rather than getting a bag at a retail price, you’d rather go for pre-owned? Do you think some brands are not worth it anymore the price they’re asking?

I've realized that the more bags I buy, the less interested I am in them. This may be partially due to the fact I don't like having a lot of stuff and I like using my items; so if I don't see something being used, it gets sold or donated relatively quickly.
Price increases definitely make me think twice though, especially when I think about depreciation of pre-loved goods. Even though I have the general rule of buying what I love, intending to keep and not resale, so price shouldn't matter; I know that I change over time and sometimes there are just things that I no longer like or use anymore; so I'll sell them at a loss.
For pre-owned, it depends; it's been a while since I've bought pre-loved bags (gosh, how I miss the 2015-2018 era of buying pre-loved); but I think I would do it if it was a limited or special edition piece or something very very classic, like a Chanel reissue. Though I'd probably go to 3rd party authentication for peace of mind since super fakes are more and more prevalent nowadays.

Next week is going to be crazy. I have back-to-back exams on Wednesday & Thursday and a cavity filling on Friday...

Ah, school, I don't miss it. :lol: I remember when I studied 6 -12 hours a day! Hard work definitely pays off though, good luck! :tup:

I spent last week with my best friend from high school. I was shocked at how much airfare was. She, in turn, was shocked at how much airfare is for the trip she was booking for June. Airfare prices jumped 20% in April alone. While airfares are not bags, the price jump had the impact on me to feel less interested in buying bags.

I remember the prices of private jets ~5-6 years ago and then recently my husband and I looked at the prices, and wow! Are they ridiculous! :eek:(Not that we go on private jets, one of our friend's does)

Interesting note on the secondhand luxury bags rising their prices too, especially when it comes to popular bags like LV or Chanel, do you think it’s because sellers try to narrow the gap between retail and their price and maximize the profit? Sometimes the price difference is so small, that I rather think better to get the new bag from a boutique than having to deal with uncertainty of overall bag condition, authenticity, and so, but that’s totally different topic.

Yes! Especially with all the price hikes, the 2ndhand market follows suit!

During the pandemic, the Covid checks gave people who were still working a lot of extra disposable income. People spent it on stuff like big screen tvs. Maybe purse people used that cash on purses. When people are spending free money, they are less sensitive to price.

I didn't walk into a single luxury store in 2020. When I just started getting back into going out in mid 2021, my SAs told me they were so surprised at the amount of people who used their COVID checks to buy luxury bags instead! It was disappointing to hear. :sad: Sigh....

As for the resale market - I’ve debated selling my Kelly for a couple of years. It’s gorgeous and everything I wanted and every darn time I carry it, someone will say “that’s an expensive bag!” I swear, it’s a curse. This year, I decided that I’m not going to sell it. I can’t afford to replace it if I change my mind. And who knows, maybe I’ll move to an area where Hermes is ubiquitous and no one cares.

Feel free to come to my neck of the woods. :biggrin: Chanel bags are common. And Hermes, while less common, it's not too hard to see a non-quota bag in the wild, and at certain locations, you'll definitely see quota bags around.

Forgot to add, I stop shopping when I am at a high weight or low weight for my range. Bc I cannot properly gauge style choices at high weight; and if I buy at low weight, it only fits or looks appropriate for a nano second. So that, plus price hikes at retail and resale, are serious factors to curb shopping (for years, not months). For me, it’s either feast or famine. :smile:
[/QUOTE]

There was a point right in the first half of 2020 where the value of currency in many countries dropped and it was a great time to buy pre-loved! That's how I got my Chanel CF.
I too see signs of the resale market eventually slowing down and prices readjusting! Best to watch and wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.