2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

There might be less inventory because people are hanging onto their bags, especially if the price hikes on new have made these same people less likely to want to buy new bags to replace their old ones.
I see less and less of the bags I like turning up for sale and if they do they are either in great condition and high prices or trashed and still expensive... the bargains become rare! In this case I think the reason is that time has passed since I bought my bargains, bags have deteriorated, bags have long been sold... I´m glad I already own lots of the bags I really love and don´t feel any urge. When a rare bargain pops up SpiDior will pounce...

Something else I´ve noticed is how well new resellers with items in lesser condition at lower prices are doing. People want a bit of luxury and when reflected in the price settle with faults. OK, I´ve always been doing this...

@DME, I like Benares :smile: . Also ottolenghi. And, Lebanese (not far from the Connaught and Saudi embassy) . And, Patchi baklava

We totally lucked into Benares. It turned out a good friend from home was in London the same week as we were and I realized this might be the case about halfway through the trip. We had lunch with him and his friend from Poland one day and had so much fun that we scheduled dinner the next night; he recommended Benares because his neighbor from home always talks about it. The meal was divine and that trip is a favorite memory! DH and I both had the amazing lobster dish in the below photo.

5C8358E4-D37E-4908-9EE5-CD6B424B04F7.jpeg

There might be less inventory because people are hanging onto their bags, especially if the price hikes on new have made these same people less likely to want to buy new bags to replace their old ones.
During Covid, people couldn’t travel. In some cases, there was then more discretionary income to shop

There is also a trickle down effect. If one does not want or cannot afford 4-5 digit prices on premier designer RTW or bags, there are plenty Of other options including vintage

due to social media, vintage became much more popular

Here are a few vintage dead stock pieces that I purchased years ago (pristine bc I had to diet back into them lol)
Bill blass looped wool; ungaro wool moto jacket (matching skirt not shown); and, Adolfo for Saks crotchet jacket and dress
(Cross posted In vintage thread )
FC06A9CA-3FE8-4E61-AD22-CDA839DB026A.jpegE5FD6657-CF69-4DF3-807F-65BEF2F2DEE7.jpegEF18D4ED-BA92-4786-AAAC-B58A2000AD2B.jpegFE469114-FB06-46C1-A0C9-F276C77B05AF.jpegD2FA4787-39C3-47C9-B4E0-78C2940D62AF.jpeg

Last edited:
During Covid, people couldn’t travel. In some cases, there was then more discretionary income to shop

There is also a trickle down effect. If one does not want or cannot afford 4-5 digit prices on premier designer RTW or bags, there are plenty Of other options including vintage

Here are a few vintage dead stock pieces that I purchased years ago (pristine bc I had to diet back into them lol)
Bill blass looped wool; ungaro wool moto jacket (matching skirt not shown); and, Adolfo for Saks crotchet jacket and dress
View attachment 5408000View attachment 5408001View attachment 5408002View attachment 5408003View attachment 5408004
Gorgeous! I especially love the second look.

I was terrified during the beginning of covid. I didn't know if we would survive, if I would ever carry a purse or dress up again, and believed that I could catch covid from touching things, so I didn't buy anything except food and basic supplies for nearly a year. There were bag bargains I passed up because I couldn't see the future. I wish I had remodeled my kitchen then instead of waiting a year. It would have been much cheaper, but we were scared to let anyone in the house.

View attachment 5408000View attachment 5408001View attachment 5408002View attachment 5408003View attachment 5408004
Is there any trick to finding dead stock?

Where do you shop for clothes? I can see me turn more toward new clothes and less towards bags in the future.

I spent last week with my best friend from high school. I was shocked at how much airfare was. She, in turn, was shocked at how much airfare is for the trip she was booking for June. Airfare prices jumped 20% in April alone. While airfares are not bags, the price jump had the impact on me to feel less interested in buying bags.

I consider bags to be "funny money" purchases--an expensive frivolity that was absolutely fine because we could afford it with no problem. It no longer seems prudent to buy expensive bags until we see how the economy shakes out. Our situation will not change much, if at all, and we could still afford my bag habit, but I just don't feel good about it. I don't buy bags new so there is no announced price increase, but the pre-loved bags are all so much more than they were pre-pandemic. I am not finding much of anything for sale that seems worth the price. I would have to love something a lot before I would buy it even at reduced prices. My level of pickiness goes up with the prices.
+1 Not a lot of bargains compared to a year or two ago. Plus I have less on my list that interest me.

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too. So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at, or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)? Or maybe you feel like you have enough and can pause for now? Or rather than getting a bag at a retail price, you’d rather go for pre-owned? Do you think some brands are not worth it anymore the price they’re asking?

I’m definitely starting to feel I have more than enough and will try to focus more on “shopping” my own collection :smile: and so happy I got a chance to get the bags I wanted for a fairer price (some even on sale)

I’ve harped on this many times before - I feel like the old lady waving my walking stick at the youn’uns by now - but bags aren’t the value the used to be. The last price increase for Chanel shocked me. The INCREASE on the M/L lambskin flap was more than the retail price on my flap. The increase was more than $1245.

Jewelry has also had price increases. But they’ve been a steady 7-10%. (For the most part). So if I’m going to spend serious money, it’s going to be on jewelry.

As for the resale market - I’ve debated selling my Kelly for a couple of years. It’s gorgeous and everything I wanted and every darn time I carry it, someone will say “that’s an expensive bag!” I swear, it’s a curse. This year, I decided that I’m not going to sell it. I can’t afford to replace it if I change my mind. And who knows, maybe I’ll move to an area where Hermes is ubiquitous and no one cares.

I’ve harped on this many times before - I feel like the old lady waving my walking stick at the youn’uns by now - but bags aren’t the value the used to be. The last price increase for Chanel shocked me. The INCREASE on the M/L lambskin flap was more than the retail price on my flap. The increase was more than $1245.

Jewelry has also had price increases. But they’ve been a steady 7-10%. (For the most part). So if I’m going to spend serious money, it’s going to be on jewelry.

As for the resale market - I’ve debated selling my Kelly for a couple of years. It’s gorgeous and everything I wanted and every darn time I carry it, someone will say “that’s an expensive bag!” I swear, it’s a curse. This year, I decided that I’m not going to sell it. I can’t afford to replace it if I change my mind. And who knows, maybe I’ll move to an area where Hermes is ubiquitous and no one cares.
Or you could move to a less fashionable area like mine where no one would recognize Hermes.

Or you could move to a less fashionable area like mine where no one would recognize Hermes.
See, that’s why I think it’s a personal curse. I lived 8 years in a fashion- abyss. Where the big, super expensive brand was Chicos Traveler. Shoes were Dansko clogs, and bags were printed canvas shoppers received at various volunteer activities.

And I still had an eighty-year old French woman commenting when I carried my Kelly, “that’s a very expensive bag. But at least it’s not by that Nazi whore.”

I know there are dedicated brand threads for price increases, but I just found out Valextra has increased their prices and Celine will be implementing an increase in a few days, and obviously there will be more price increases for LV and Chanel later in the year, and I imagine other of your favorite brands have followed through on this too. So my thinking is do any of you feel to be priced out of any of the brands you usually shopped at, or does price increase affect in any way your bag purchases (like buy less bags, but still get the bag you wanted despite price increase)? Or maybe you feel like you have enough and can pause for now? Or rather than getting a bag at a retail price, you’d rather go for pre-owned? Do you think some brands are not worth it anymore the price they’re asking?

I’m definitely starting to feel I have more than enough and will try to focus more on “shopping” my own collection :smile: and so happy I got a chance to get the bags I wanted for a fairer price (some even on sale)
For me it’s a mix. Chanel I abruptly stopped buying after I got my burgundy coco handle. It’s like the bag ‘completes’ me lol.

For other luxury brands, I’ll prob just debate more and buy fewer. Like you, I have a really good overall collection at this point and I just need to shop it more.

Lastly, I’m really enjoying under-the-radar brands lately, such as Polene.
Interesting questions. For me, it really depends on the item. For instance, I wanted the DE mini pouchette from LV. I absolutely will not buy it at the new price of $745. I did however buy the LV Onthego MM, even after the price increase because it’s something I’ll love & use for a long time.

Like @Jereni I see myself debating more & buying fewer. I have a large collection & need to shop it more.

I’m also looking into other brands like Polene & Aspinal of London. The quality is fantastic & the prices are more reasonable.
I spent last week with my best friend from high school. I was shocked at how much airfare was. She, in turn, was shocked at how much airfare is for the trip she was booking for June. Airfare prices jumped 20% in April alone. While airfares are not bags, the price jump had the impact on me to feel less interested in buying bags.

I consider bags to be "funny money" purchases--an expensive frivolity that was absolutely fine because we could afford it with no problem. It no longer seems prudent to buy expensive bags until we see how the economy shakes out. Our situation will not change much, if at all, and we could still afford my bag habit, but I just don't feel good about it. I don't buy bags new so there is no announced price increase, but the pre-loved bags are all so much more than they were pre-pandemic. I am not finding much of anything for sale that seems worth the price. I would have to love something a lot before I would buy it even at reduced prices. My level of pickiness goes up with the prices.
I rarely pay full price for any bag so it will make me even less likely to buy new. Some brands don't keep even close to their selling price. None of my bags gets my undivided attention so it doesn't make sense to have a lot of money tied up in one bag. Yes, I have enough. Not that it will stop me from wanting more. I'm going to be more selective.
I'm seeing much higher prices on preloved, and the few bags I have for sale, at what I believe are reasonable prices, aren't selling.
I’ve been giving this one a lot of thought lately. On the one hand, I can still afford the higher prices, even if they make me grumpy. On the other hand, I have a very nice collection already, so how much more can I possibly need? I find myself being more selective lately, and I’ve also rediscovered my love of jewelry, which is a different avenue to send my funds. But I do know this: These constant price increases are so annoying! And all of these limited editions exhaust me; it’s become too much work to get what I want. I am not liking the direction luxury fashion is moving…
The price increases at the moment are across the board, at least at the brands I have been looking at. Lately I am having more fun buying and trying handmade bags by small companies or individual artists. I will still buy the occasional premium bag, but at the moment they don't fit my lifestyle. The constant price increases make me buy less unless I truly love the bag, but I have not seen anything that I absolutely can't live without.
The only bad thing about buying from small makers is if the hide is not the texture that you want, you are stuck with it. The good thing is there are a lot of people who like a lot of character on their bags so you can sell them fairly easily.
Interesting note on the secondhand luxury bags rising their prices too, especially when it comes to popular bags like LV or Chanel, do you think it’s because sellers try to narrow the gap between retail and their price and maximize the profit? Sometimes the price difference is so small, that I rather think better to get the new bag from a boutique than having to deal with uncertainty of overall bag condition, authenticity, and so, but that’s totally different topic.
I don't get reseller pricing either.

The definition of inflation is too much money chasing not enough goods.

During the pandemic, the Covid checks gave people who were still working a lot of extra disposable income. People spent it on stuff like big screen tvs. Maybe purse people used that cash on purses. When people are spending free money, they are less sensitive to price.

On the not enough goods side, I have heard that Hermes dropped their production levels because not enough craftspeople and difficulty getting leather. Maybe other designers have problems keeping normal levels of inventory.

I can understand why there might not be much retail inventory, but I don't get why there is not much re-sale inventory. There is not much listed in the older vintage Hermes bags that I follow. Much less than in prior years. Why would that be?

I understand the more money chasing bags, but I don't understand fewer resale bags. Are people seeing less re-sale availability in other brands?
Depends on one’s risk tolerance and authentication process. I’ve seen tempting deals on non chanel Non H premier bags.
:smile:

+1 with @Cookiefiend re the bag spill of @Jereni ! Gorgeous!

@Cordeliere , I’m seeing fewer resale bags that I want. It used to be that every summer toile and crinoline Birkins would come up for resale. No longer, and if one does, it’s an older kelly for an outrageous price. During Covid, I scooped up a ton of fabulous deals on B30 and K28, 32. There was a point in Covid summer when no one was shopping. No longer the case. I don’t think the upcoming recession will prevent 1%ers from shopping, but it may cause some who have held onto older bags to release them. Prices and stock will eventually come down from current highs, but I tend to think in terms of years, not months.
I think it is partly due to sellers trying to read the market, realizing they can raise prices and still make the sale, and maximize profits. Part of it is that major brands are getting into reselling used items at high prices, and other resellers use these prices to price their items. But a lot of it is that the price of acquisition is higher. Thrift stores and consignment stores have raised their prices so resellers have to raise theirs. Selling sites have higher fees than they used to. Last year, most US resellers didn't have to report their selling income so didn't have to pay taxes on it. This year they will have to.
I see less and less of the bags I like turning up for sale and if they do they are either in great condition and high prices or trashed and still expensive... the bargains become rare! In this case I think the reason is that time has passed since I bought my bargains, bags have deteriorated, bags have long been sold... I´m glad I already own lots of the bags I really love and don´t feel any urge. When a rare bargain pops up SpiDior will pounce...

Something else I´ve noticed is how well new resellers with items in lesser condition at lower prices are doing. People want a bit of luxury and when reflected in the price settle with faults. OK, I´ve always been doing this...
+1 Not a lot of bargains compared to a year or two ago. Plus I have less on my list that interest me.

I come in late to this discussion. It’s not just luxury items, new or resale, that are getting more expensive. Fuel prices in the U.K. have doubled, inflation is running at 9%, weekly food shopping has gone up. People are having to make serious cut backs. While more and more UK citizens are struggling to feed themselves and their children, I feel lucky to be a professional with a good income even if public sector pay awards (key workers so praised a year ago) are 2% or less and the unions are up in arms.

On luxuries, fashion and bags are following the trend. They all need to make the money back they are losing to these rises.

With just energy, food and school fees our bills will be up £250 a month in the space of a few months. Income has increased by a fraction of this. I expect play money is seriously reduced for many. Some resellers are in the business to make money, not just fund a hobby (definitely a hobby to me). I guess this global picture is the problem here. I’m just thankful that to me it’s a first world problem.

I’m still struggling with being retriggered. I had to go to a work related concert last night which was beautiful but listening to music is emotive and difficult in the situation where the whole audience knows who I am and I can’t leave. My new therapist has been very helpful by email and this is reassuring. We have an appointment next week. This is good as my mood is low with some flashbacks and lots of unhealthy ruminating.

I think I’ve realised since beginning schema work in therapy, that shopping is a mental crutch for me as well as a hobby. At some levels it’s a MH issue. At one level, I need to look and feel good (having been told I don’t by M and abused for my choices by my ex). I don’t want anyone to be able to be critical. At another functional level, looking at things to buy online is a constant activity that stops me thinking with the buzz that comes from purchasing wonderful but short lived. It’s an addiction in the same way as my tendency to overwork and food related issues, none of these are now at the level of being self destructive, but they are to some extent maladaptive nevertheless.

With my Mini Alexa being squeal worthy and the pale pink Brioche being that sought after neutral, my bag urges are satisfied for a while. I’m no longer so drawn to the Gucci Marmont. Only the flap version has the practical option of doubling the strap for shoulder carry that the Brioche has and a pale colour would get terrible dye transfer. Therefore, I’m stating I want to shop my own collection for the rest of the year and into next. Please feel free to remind me of this!

The only thing I’m considering is a shoulder strap for my mini Alexa. Adding this would give that shoulder carry option to protect it from dye transfer too (it’s crossbody or top handle only at the moment) but the strap along is nearly £400. Costs more than many bags and makes the Alexa seriously pricey. Would need to see it on to know if it would work with the style but I think it would.
80015FD1-04E4-4171-A86D-A6AF957CA5BB.jpeg

Also, I just bought my sister a leather Ted Baker camera bag in a flash (all stock) sale to give her as a birthday present next month and it’s lovely less than 1/4 of the cost of the pink Mulberry strap alone! My sister has one Radley bag she uses for everything plus a MK I gave her recently. I’m hoping this will be a fun bag for casual use when our families go on holiday together in August.
1BC359C4-0D12-4D15-AA12-0D488A7C0A35.jpegBF73EBC9-5401-4543-B2FD-A1CB9D3FF782.jpeg

Clothes wise, I don’t need anything except a pair of shorts for the summer. None of mine fit - too big or too small! I’ve also seen some neutral pink sandals which are crying out to be bought for my Nice holiday. Not buying anything here will be more of a problem than bags when there are so many beautiful things around. I’m not sure I can manage!

Edit: sorry for the long post - clearly using TPF as a MH break/distraction this morning. :lol:

Last edited:
I just checked Celine price increase and my micro belt bag I got in 2019 for 1600€ now jumped from 1850€ to 2000€. Like 400€ jump in just 3 years… This is my favorite bag, I’m happy I got it back when prices were a bit more reasonable, but if I hadn’t had it already, I don’t see myself paying 2k€ for this bag, just not worth it… this economy is crazy, I can’t imagine how whoever is just starting out in a luxury bag space can justify these prices…
I also feel lucky I snatched one of Celine cabas bags I have for just 700€ on sale from multibrand store when it now retails for 1300€. I also don’t see myself ever selling bags I have in my collection, unless I really have to, I wouldn’t buy these bags for current prices knowing what I paid for them back then :smile:

Last edited:
I also feel like whenever I heard of prices increases for LV, Chanel, Dior, I didn’t care as much since I don’t own any of their bags, but when your favorite brands start to follow the trend, then it hits home. However I wouldn’t panic buy either. But at least Celine and other brands I like don’t have multiple increases throughout the year, I can’t imagine going through multiple increases frenzy the way Chanel, LV makes their customers go.

Sorry for my rambling, but maybe there are others who can relate to this

Status
Not open for further replies.