2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

King arthur flour website has an easy sourdough starter recipe. I almost prefer recipes for ‘discard’ like waffles and crackers more than the actual loaf, truth be told. But then my doctor said I was pre diabetic AND my frig died which caused me to give away my starter and baking supplies. . . Sourdough biscuits are also delicious. As is rye and pumpernickel flour. And, I find SAF instant yeast is great when you cannot be bothered with the starter. Bc proofing yeast is just the tiniest bit of effort thta will make you decide not to preheat the oven and buy the damn bread. :biggrin: By the way, if you are US based, a cheap digital scale is faster than measuring cups or spoons. And, wetter breads are a tiny bit harder to shape but make moister bread.
I don't measure the flour when I make bread. I just add until it kneads without too much sticking.

King arthur flour website has an easy sourdough starter recipe. I almost prefer recipes for ‘discard’ like waffles and crackers more than the actual loaf, truth be told. But then my doctor said I was pre diabetic AND my frig died which caused me to give away my starter and baking supplies. . . Sourdough biscuits are also delicious. As is rye and pumpernickel flour. And, I find SAF instant yeast is great when you cannot be bothered with the starter. Bc proofing yeast is just the tiniest bit of effort thta will make you decide not to preheat the oven and buy the damn bread. :biggrin: By the way, if you are US based, a cheap digital scale is faster than measuring cups or spoons. And, wetter breads are a tiny bit harder to shape but make moister bread.
I follow several recipes from King Arthur flour website. I have yet to take a look at their starter recipe though. Oh and I use SAF instant yeast.

I use a digital scale, though I got confused when I first used it (from using cups/volume-based implements). At King Arthur, 1 cup of all purpose flour is 120g. But when I scoop my King Arthur flour in my traditional measuring cup, it registered almost 150g. Now I’ve settled to 128g per cup (based on some other websites).

There are times I felt panicky because my dough is too wet! But yes, the breads turn out really good and moist. :tup:

At King Arthur, 1 cup of all purpose flour is 120g. But when I scoop my King Arthur flour in my traditional measuring cup, it registered almost 150g. Now I’ve settled to 128g
In my past experience, Even a gentle dip and scoop of settled flour yields a heavier weight than sprinkling or spooning flour in the cup measurement and leveling off gently. If your flour Has been sitting in a tupperware or zip lock or other bag for a while, it settles and some easy stirring can aerate. (Slightly OT, I don’t bother to sift bc as per Maida Heatter, sifted cup is roughly 3 pounces, unsifted dip and scoop cup is 4). Also higher protein flour from national brands or high protein Canadian flour is heavier in weight than southern flour of the same volume. I roughly convert the KA recipe cup measurements to ounces or grams and then just Gently shake the Aerated flour in (from the Bag or the tupperware.

In my past experience, Even a gentle dip and scoop of settled flour yields a heavier weight than sprinkling or spooning flour in the cup measurement and leveling off gently. If your flour Has been sitting in a tupperware or zip lock or other bag for a while, it settles and some easy stirring can aerate. (Slightly OT, I don’t bother to sift bc as per Maida Heatter, sifted cup is roughly 3 pounces, unsifted dip and scoop cup is 4). Also higher protein flour from national brands or high protein Canadian flour is heavier in weight than southern flour of the same volume. I roughly convert the KA recipe cup measurements to ounces or grams and then just Gently shake the Aerated flour in (from the Bag or the tupperware.
Thanks for the tip! I think I saw that fluff/aerate thing also belatedly at KA website.

I’m actually in Southeast Asia but I’m happy to have access to some nice ingredients. Before the pandemic, I only knew to buy at the supermarkets. But having joined some Viber baking community and marketplace, I got to know and have access to several resellers.

Thanks for the tip! I think I saw that fluff/aerate thing also belatedly at KA website.

I’m actually in Southeast Asia but I’m happy to have access to some nice ingredients. Before the pandemic, I only knew to buy at the supermarkets. But having joined some Viber baking community and marketplace, I got to know and have access to several resellers.
Things have changed! I remember when you couldn’t get some basic things in Asia and vice versa in the US and would have to schlepp stuff in a suitcase. My mom spends half the year or more in SE Asia and likes the easy 15 minute blender recipe for pao di quejo using Tapioca flour (I use bobs red mill in the US). https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_brazilian_cheese_bread/
She buys blocks of inexpensive manchego from Costco for the cheese. :biggrin:

Reactions: keodi and msd_bags
Maybe put the pram aside for a week or two.

Either this (but DH would be a bit miffed as this pram is his Birthday present to me) or force myself to at least clean and polish the chassis that is blocking my table.
My head is full of sewing ideas.... poor pram! It´s lovely, but cleaning chrome needs the right mood or it will be a poor job. It needs very good light, too. I can sew in the semi dark, but for chrome I need "floodlight" and haven´t found the right solution yet. When it is as darkish outside as it is at the moment here in the afternoons even my good desk lamp and another lamp next to the table don´t provide what I need.

Too bad I can't start with his stuff. He hardly has anything!
What a shame @whateve! But some men seem to be like this- minimalists. Mine in contrast is a mad collector like myself. But he keeps his stuff mainly in the storage house out of my sight and reach. Sometimes he asks me to list some of his items, but I always refuse as they are mainly car related items I have no clue of and it does not make any sense to take a dictation and be the listing secretary. He can do it himself or leave it.
After my very makeshift wardrobe/storage broke down a few days ago and I had to take everything out for the repair (it was overwhelming!) I did a good sorting of the contents and while I was at it the back room, too and listed very random items of clothes and "stuff".
So far- knock on wood!- some have sold. It´s like filling the small change jar, still it feels good to free up space.

I seriously need to STOP. Anyone else so bored (pandemic) that shopping for bags is your favorite pastime?

Oops... researching and hunting for bags has been keeping me enterntained for months now... after some actual purchases (of which I do not regret any) I´ve stopped looking for the moment. There´s a new series of The Bold Type on amazone to watch and I´ve ordered a pile of Steinbeck novels...

Have you bought a lot? I mean just window shopping does not hurt...

I seriously need to STOP. Anyone else so bored (pandemic) that shopping for bags is your favorite pastime?
I've been spending like there is no tomorrow, not just bags. I did some damage during Amazon prime days. I think surrounding myself with things makes me feel more secure. Many of those things are stuff we can use. I don't like to run out of things and then learn I can't find them. I just ordered some air vent filters. These were getting hard to find because people were buying them to use in masks.

I ordered a bag a few days ago but I don't feel too guilty as it wasn't very expensive; however, I'll feel bad if it gets discounted more in a few weeks.

I bought some more books too. I know I'd save a lot if I switched to an ereader but I'm so used to real books. I like to read in the bath. I would be afraid I would drop the ereader in the water.

We closed.

After 4 months of stress, and paperwork, and paperwork getting lost, and spending more on service providers than I really care to think about... the deed was recorded this evening.

And yes, I’ve been stress shopping. And After I sent that wire off to the title company, stress buying. I mean, once you’ve spent too darn much on a new mattress, a new bracelet really isn’t THAT much, right?!?

We closed.

After 4 months of stress, and paperwork, and paperwork getting lost, and spending more on service providers than I really care to think about... the deed was recorded this evening.

And yes, I’ve been stress shopping. And After I sent that wire off to the title company, stress buying. I mean, once you’ve spent too darn much on a new mattress, a new bracelet really isn’t THAT much, right?!?
Congratulations!!