2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

I used to choose bags like a one eyed, drunken sailor who gambled away all his / her money. :lol:
But, it starts with is the bag beautiful to me? Function without beauty just doesn’t work for me at all.

This had me literally rolling on the floor laughing :smile:)) you made my night, thank you for that:smile:!
When I switched to small luxury handbags I always bought them with one thing in mind: it has to be something small enough - no man would ever think of asking me: "Can we put this in your bag...? "Umm... no... you can't....

I would like to join in this 2019 resolution

- I have 20 ish bags ( 18 luxury bags)
- I consider it is huge compare to where I live
If money is not an issue, I would add some rare clutch only for evenings
But I would probably add lots of jewellery :smile:

For 2019, here are my goals :
- Dont buying anything not NEEDED, meaning:
- No perfume
- No make up
- No clothes except 1 paire of jeans and 2/3 white shirts , 2 summer pants, a summer dress
- No shoes except 1 paireofballerinas , 1 mid heel boots and 1 sneakers
No scarfs except 1 Hermes ( a large one)
I would love to buy another 2.55 but first I would like to sell 3 bags and 1 watch that I rarely/ dont use.

I already purge/ reorganise my closet. Will give and sell some clothes.
I think I need to redo that twice or 3 times during the year.

Youhouhou 2019 is going to be interesting. I also ordered a moleskine notebook!

It is very hard to say but I need to find otherways to deal with certains issues. I need to focus more on basics and most important thing in my life...

Thank you for reading :smile:
I love your goals/wishlist and it sounds very reasonable and like you will add some wonderful items to your list!

I completely agree with finding other ways to deal with things. I find myself shopping mindlessly online because I need something to concentrate on when my mind is running, and sometimes I can’t get into a book even though I love reading!

I have. I’ve sold over 200 bags in the last 6 years. All of my original set of bags (150ish) and a bunch of mistakes as I tried to rebuild (50).

I was excited to sell off my bags because I didn’t really love any of them. I was also terrified at first because I hadn’t sold bags before. I spent a lot of time confused because I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to buy. (That’s how I stumbled onto tPF) My fear of selling quickly left because I easily learned how to sell. I’ve only been scammed once and PayPal made it right so I got the funds even though I didn’t get the bag back (which I actually preferred). Then I was thrilled because it gave me money to buy new bags that I liked (and eventually loved).

The hardest part has been the exhaustion at the end. I’m sick to death of selling bags and it’s greatly affected my desire to buy anything (which is probably a good thing). I’m super cautious now about buying because I don’t want any bag that I can’t love and use to death before it’s sold yeeeeeaaaars later if at all.
I used to choose bags like a one eyed, drunken sailor who gambled away all his / her money. :lol: I bought based on what was on sale in a color I liked and then what looked “alright”. So I ended up with a bunch of junk that didn’t even go with my wardrobe.
Wow! This is so impressive. I can’t even imagine how long it took you to do that! Did you sell them all yourself on eBay or sell through resale websites or a mix?

This had me literally rolling on the floor laughing :smile:)) you made my night, thank you for that:smile:!
When I switched to small luxury handbags I always bought them with one thing in mind: it has to be something small enough - no man would ever think of asking me: "Can we put this in your bag...? "Umm... no... you can't....
LOL! Mr. S is a big fan of putting his things in my bags but buys me ever smaller ones. Not sure how this is going to work out. :roflmfao:
Wow! This is so impressive. I can’t even imagine how long it took you to do that! Did you sell them all yourself on eBay or sell through resale websites or a mix?
I don’t know that it’s impressive or just pathetic. LOL! I never should have gotten to the point where I needed to sell off all those bags. I made soooooo many bad buying decisions.

It took a little over 6 years (maybe closer to 7) to sell all of the bags because I was selling as I got the courage to part with them and buy new ones.

I have sold a whopping 2 through consignment companies. The cut they take is just too high for me. Most of these I sold on eBay. Another large chunk on Tradesy. Perhaps 3 or 4 on Poshmark. 1 on Vestiaire and 1 on Facebook (to the scammer.)

I’m down to just four I want to sell and there is no rush on those. I’m soooo glad to almost be done. :whut: I almost get hives when I think about having to sell a bag or anything else. :panic:

LOL! Mr. S is a big fan of putting his things in my bags but buys me ever smaller ones. Not sure how this is going to work out. :roflmfao:
I don’t know that it’s impressive or just pathetic. LOL! I never should have gotten to the point where I needed to sell off all those bags. I made soooooo many bad buying decisions.

It took a little over 6 years (maybe closer to 7) to sell all of the bags because I was selling as I got the courage to part with them and buy new ones.

I have sold a whopping 2 through consignment companies. The cut they take is just too high for me. Most of these I sold on eBay. Another large chunk on Tradesy. Perhaps 3 or 4 on Poshmark. 1 on Vestiaire and 1 on Facebook (to the scammer.)

I’m down to just four I want to sell and there is no rush on those. I’m soooo glad to almost be done. :whut: I almost get hives when I think about having to sell a bag or anything else. :panic:

Congratulations!! I’m excited for you for when you’re able to sell those last four! That is seriously such a big feat and I imagine it’s such a relief to have gotten through all of that work.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I would like to join in this 2019 resolution

- I have 20 ish bags ( 18 luxury bags)
- I consider it is huge compare to where I live
If money is not an issue, I would add some rare clutch only for evenings
But I would probably add lots of jewellery :smile:

For 2019, here are my goals :
- Dont buying anything not NEEDED, meaning:
- No perfume
- No make up
- No clothes except 1 paire of jeans and 2/3 white shirts , 2 summer pants, a summer dress
- No shoes except 1 paireofballerinas , 1 mid heel boots and 1 sneakers
No scarfs except 1 Hermes ( a large one)
I would love to buy another 2.55 but first I would like to sell 3 bags and 1 watch that I rarely/ dont use.

I already purge/ reorganise my closet. Will give and sell some clothes.
I think I need to redo that twice or 3 times during the year.

Youhouhou 2019 is going to be interesting. I also ordered a moleskine notebook!

It is very hard to say but I need to find otherways to deal with certains issues. I need to focus more on basics and most important thing in my life...

Thank you for reading :smile:
That's an awesome resolution! Keep coming to the thread to update us and for support :smile: Good luck and hope all life issues sort out in 2019 :flowers:

Well, one day you might end up locked out because the keys were in your bra and you dropped them somewhere in the club... :biggrin:)
:lol: Ok.. Lol... but see...why did I recently google bra wallets because I was trying to figure out how to wear tiny bags (or even no bags) when we go out and still have my things.

The things we do for fashion. :facepalm:

Luckily, I came to my senses. I’ll either have to carry a bag or Mr. S is going to have very full pockets. :roflmfao:

Hey All!

We’re almost at the start of the new year. So it’s time for our first bag challenges! :yahoo:I’m reposting the ones we have cued up for January! I’ll do so again on 1/1.

(For those of you who are new to the thread, we do monthly challenges as a way of having fun with and focusing on our current collections. It helps us to remember, enjoy and appreciate what we have so that we aren’t as tempted to purchase new bags.

Participation is completely voluntary. Pick one, two, all or none. No peer pressure. This is just a fun thing to do as you see fit! If you do participate, we love to see photos as you go along but, again, even those aren’t required. We’re pretty flexible around here. Lol! )

*** January Challenges ***

• New Year, New Bag - Wear your three newest bags at least twice this month

• Love it or List it - Several people plan to sell bags. Pick one on the bubble and wear it a few times. If it’s not love by Jan 31, commit to selling or donating it.

• 10 in 31 Challenge - Wear at least 10 bags one time this month to help you rotate (we did 15 in the past but I’m lowering the number so more people can participate and to take into consideration extreme weather in some regions)

• Color Challenge - Pick a color and wear all the bags you have in their color at least once this month. (Starting in Feb, the color will be based on the birthstone for the month. But since Jan is garnet and we recently did red, I’m leaving the color up to you to chose this month.)

• Reverse Love it or List it - Pick a bag that you aren’t sure you want to sell. Place it in an inconvenient spot in your home where you don’t readily see it and can even have the opportunity to forget it. If after 4 months you haven’t reached for it, commit to selling it.

Last edited:
How very satisfying! Congratulations! It is a lovely colour and it looks like it’s in great condition.

I think the closest I have to doing my research is the Antigona. I wanted a small black Antigona but I didn’t particularly like the very shiny or very matte versions, and I was hesitating over the price tag. I told Mr Dawn I really wanted one (he is excellent at bag missions!) and he called up Givenchy, made friends with the SA, and asked to be told if a black Antigona goes on sale.

Wonder of wonders, the SA called back at some point and offered this beautiful limited edition black Antigona with metal detail. Even its leather was between the matte and shiny versions. It was perfect.

It was a limited edition, and more expensive than the regular version, but because it was around 30-40% off, I got it at less than the regular version. Mr Dawn had to drive many hours to pick it for me (very grateful), but I do love it.:heart:
I was away for holidays and I am catching up on this thread, happy belated anniversary, beautiful pens and notebooks and a lovely LE Antigona!

Reactions: Miss_Dawn
At first it was all about building a collection, then I had this big collection and had more bags than occasions to wear them. I’m super organized, but (for me) if I need a spreadsheet to help me rotate my bags, I’ve got too many bags. I laid them all out, made three piles—keep forever, can live without, and everything else goes in the middle. There’s been so much said in research about the stress caused from choice overload and I agree with it. Less is usually more. Now I know that every single time i pick up a bag to use, I’m picking up an absolute favorite.

Choice overload...Agree on this on so many levels, not just bag choices. I’m not very picky about which the bag to use once I already own it. I just take a bit to decide if and when I have to have a bag.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
If I waited until I was dressed up (or until I met the Queen, lol!) to wear my nice bags, I'd never wear them! I'm nearly always dressed casually. Mostly jeans (not ripped ones, but still... jeans) and a sweater. A nice sweater, and always earrings, but still it's a casual look. My handbag is what "elevates" the outfit.

I was raised to believe that nice things should be saved for special occasions. I definitely do NOT do this!!! I take good care of my good things, but I figure if you've got nice stuff, what's the point of tucking it away in the closet?

Your Lady Dior is really pretty. I'm interested to hear that you don't use the strap... is there a reason you find the strap to be a problem? Or is it just that you like the look of a hand-carry bag?

Thanks ElainePG..yes I think that will be my theme for 2019..”just use it” ...for bags as well as clothes and shoes and all the stuff I save for that grand occasion. I pulled out my wedding China and had that aha moment. “Yes this is the occasion you’ve been saving it for”..just a simple family dinner.

On not using the strap for the medium Lady Dior..I think it’s just a bit clunky for a boxy bag to hit right at the hips :shocked: The strap gives it a more casual feel that somehow doesn’t translate to something this polished. On the other hand, I always use the strap with my mini Lady Diors..then it is perfect! I’ll take a photo tomorrow showing the 2 sizes with strap.

Yay for wearing your beautiful bag! I wear every single one of my bags (except my one dedicated evening bag) casually. They make me happy!

And one day, I’ll find “my” Lady Dior. Love yours!

Yeah, well I’m trying to carry these bags more frequently . They also make me happy. I’m not a big bag switcher..I’m good for a few weeks at a time. Speaking of getting use out of our collections, I am a closeted evening bag hoarder :blush: I see them as jewelry..”ooh pretty”:hbeat:but so few evening events...:facepalm:

You should really look into the Lady Dior. What color, leather, size? It’s really very ladylike. I love them! But one medium size is enough..unless a sapphire patent or dove grey lamb..

2019 Goals!
1) I could use another black ‘everyday’ purse.
I think I would like a black H Kelly. I’m not completely sure I want a Kelly though - I love the older box leather bags, but I’m afraid it will be too fiddly and that’s a no go. I’m in no hurry to do this and honestly I'm still not sure I want to do it.

2) It’s okay to get a bag if I love it. And sell or donate if it was a mistake. I did purchase a bag to replace my LV Favorite - similar size and color (kind of a beige-y rose), I haven't used it yet though. I will probably take it to Maui with me - if it works, Yay! If it doesn't, I may just have to do some shopping!

3) Only buy the Hermes scarves that I love. No more 'Sales Goggles'. I am SO guilty of buying scarves on eBay or Posh just because the price is 'reasonable' and then not wearing them.

4) Sell the scarves I'm not wearing.

@Miss_Dawn - thank you so much! I do love my LV Lockme Bucket - that lining makes me smile every time I see it!
Of the ones you listed, I might be interested in the Prada Galleria if I could find it in calf skin, and I have been looking at Ferragamo totes. @essiedub's Dior Lady is very intriguing, and I'm going to have a peek at them - if it comes in a medium and has a shoulder strap - I may be tempted!
Bag mission - to find a nice leather black bag with a long enough shoulder strap, no dividers inside, medium sized, with structure (no puddles of lovely leather), and good quality - with a track record of not having construction issues or edge coat cracking.
I am still very tempted by an H Kelly - I sometimes think that's what I really want - but only the perfect one for me. You know - my HG of perfection - size, color, and price.
I may find it one day! :giggle:

Yes the medium Lady Diors do come with a strap. The newer ones have a wider strap with interesting decorative additions. They also have a different font on the DIOR charms. I think I prefer the older styles.

Reactions: Cookiefiend