2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

2019 Goals!
1) I could use another black ‘everyday’ purse.
I think I would like a black H Kelly. I’m not completely sure I want a Kelly though - I love the older box leather bags, but I’m afraid it will be too fiddly and that’s a no go. I’m in no hurry to do this and honestly I'm still not sure I want to do it.

2) It’s okay to get a bag if I love it. And sell or donate if it was a mistake. I did purchase a bag to replace my LV Favorite - similar size and color (kind of a beige-y rose), I haven't used it yet though. I will probably take it to Maui with me - if it works, Yay! If it doesn't, I may just have to do some shopping!

3) Only buy the Hermes scarves that I love. No more 'Sales Goggles'. I am SO guilty of buying scarves on eBay or Posh just because the price is 'reasonable' and then not wearing them.

4) Sell the scarves I'm not wearing.

@Miss_Dawn - thank you so much! I do love my LV Lockme Bucket - that lining makes me smile every time I see it!
Of the ones you listed, I might be interested in the Prada Galleria if I could find it in calf skin, and I have been looking at Ferragamo totes. @essiedub's Dior Lady is very intriguing, and I'm going to have a peek at them - if it comes in a medium and has a shoulder strap - I may be tempted!
Bag mission - to find a nice leather black bag with a long enough shoulder strap, no dividers inside, medium sized, with structure (no puddles of lovely leather), and good quality - with a track record of not having construction issues or edge coat cracking.
I am still very tempted by an H Kelly - I sometimes think that's what I really want - but only the perfect one for me. You know - my HG of perfection - size, color, and price.
I may find it one day! :giggle:

Cookiefiend, speaking from experience, I can tell you the desire for a Kelly will haunt you until you get one! :P

Yes, it’s a fiddly bag, but if you don’t overload it, you can get away with just using the turnlock and leaving the sangles undone. And if the bag is already a bit “broken in,” it gets easier, especially if you choose the retourne style over the stiffer sellier. I agree you should hold out for exactly the right bag, but also get it with the knowledge that it probably won’t be the bag you wear every day, You’ll use it and love it, but there will be days when you pick something else just because the something else is easier. I found that being realistic in my expectations for this bag made it easier to love!

I wandered over to the bag showcase thread. And now I’m curious...

Some people feel that they must keep adding to their collections even though they have 100 bags. Others will call their collection “modest”, but will have 30+ bags. I’ve also seen people feel overwhelmed with more than 5 bags.

How people feel about their number of bags is very different person to person. So, my questions for the day are:

• How many bags do you have? (Ball park is fine if you don’t have an exact number.)
• Do you feel your collection is small, medium, large, huge, other?
• Are you happy about the size of your collection? If not, what number do you want to grow / downsize into?
• If you had no limitations (money, space, social pressure, etc.) what would be the idea number of bags in your collection.

My answers
• Medium
• Happy but, I want to add a bit more variety and close a couple more gaps. I think I’ll be settled with 30 - 35 bags.
• Without limitations, I’d probably have approx. 100 bags. But, I’d have to remember to be thoughtful so, I didn’t end up with bags that caught my fancy yet weren’t right for me. So, I’d still be a member of this thread. :lol:

Love this, everything is relative! I have around 10 bags. I would say my collection is small, and I would like to end up with around 20-30 max. Only bags I want and Don’t have yet are Goyard miniaudiere, kelly 28 (which I’m in no rush to get), and a chanel gabi (I want the mermaid one so who knows if I’ll ever get it). Otherwise I would like to add a red bag because I have all black and one rose gold. I just am unsure yet which.

Rhl2987 I'm also a student mom and I am with you in getting a grip on over indulging and wanting a closet that helps remind you what you already have. That's what I have been working on this year so I can feel an embarrassment of fashion riches when I walk in and feel satisfied with that and not need to shop more. I can't keep bags in dust bags!
View attachment 4284512

Don’t want to worry you, but you should make sure that window has black out curtains. Direct light + bag storage = bad

Cookiefiend, speaking from experience, I can tell you the desire for a Kelly will haunt you until you get one! :P

Yes, it’s a fiddly bag, but if you don’t overload it, you can get away with just using the turnlock and leaving the sangles undone. And if the bag is already a bit “broken in,” it gets easier, especially if you choose the retourne style over the stiffer sellier. I agree you should hold out for exactly the right bag, but also get it with the knowledge that it probably won’t be the bag you wear every day, You’ll use it and love it, but there will be days when you pick something else just because the something else is easier. I found that being realistic in my expectations for this bag made it easier to love!
I’ve thought on and off about getting a Kelly. If it were a $3000 bag, I’d already own one (pink would be my choice). It wouldn’t be my favorite bag but, I think I’d love to wear it.

But, the steep price keeps me away. I’m having a hard time justifying spending twice what my most expensive bag cost for a bag that isn’t an HG and / or wouldn’t be my favorite.

I also struggle because I don’t get to see them in person. I can’t go to the store and try them on. I’ve thought about buying one from Fashionphile since I can return it for a look see but, it doesn’t feel right to do so. I know it technically wouldn’t be but, it feels kind of fraudulent. :hrmm:

So, I’m kinda stuck in “really like the bag but have major hurdles to get over” land.

Anyone else have these issues (or other hurdles) with a bag they really think they could enjoy owning?

———
Edit: I just checked. The pink Kelly’s that I see and love are offered resale for $15-20k...or more. :faint: That would make them at least 3-4 times more expensive than my most expensive bag. I don’t think I can do it. I’m eyeballing an upgraded tennis bracelet that costs about $20k and would prefer the diamonds to the bag. :-s Gosh, I need a Purse Fairy to drop this bag into my life. LOL!

Last edited:

Some people feel that they must keep adding to their collections even though they have 100 bags. Others will call their collection “modest”, but will have 30+ bags. I’ve also seen people feel overwhelmed with more than 5 bags.

How people feel about their number of bags is very different person to person. So, my questions for the day are:

• How many bags do you have? (Ball park is fine if you don’t have an exact number.)
• Are you happy about the size of your collection? If not, into what number do you want to grow / downsize?
• If you had no limitations (money, space, social pressure, etc.) what would be the idea number of bags in your collection?

My answers
• Medium
• Happy but, I want to add a bit more variety and close a couple more gaps. I think I’ll be settled with 30 - 35 bags.
• Without limitations, I’d probably have approx. 100 bags. But, I’d have to remember to be thoughtful so, I didn’t end up with bags that caught my fancy yet weren’t right for me. So, I’d still be a member of this thread. :lol:

(Note. I have only 3 SLG’s and am realizing I definitely want more. Perhaps a total of 6 or 7)

My answers
* 22 - of those 11 are what I call 'everyday'
* Medium
* Happy mostly. I feel like 22 is a lot of purses, but almost everyone (I have a couple of totes on the edge of departure) serves a purpose. I may add 1 or 2 to the everyday side and that would take me to 24 bags.
* Without limitations? Erm… I might go to 30? I dunno - I might pounce on a few of those bags I want but don't 'need'.

• Are you happy about the size of your collection? If not, into what number do you want to grow / downsize?
• If you had no limitations (money, space, social pressure, etc.) what would be the idea number of bags in your collection?
Great question!
- 22 (14 full-size, 8 small, mini, or clutches)
- medium... although five years ago, I would have said 22 bags was an enormous collection! :biggrin:
- happy, though I may let one of the full-size and one of the small bags go by the end of this year, depending on what my tracking shows me
- about the same as I have now, certainly no more, though perhaps if $$$ were no object I'd upgrade specific bags to higher-end ones that fulfill the same function

Love this, everything is relative! I have around 10 bags. I would say my collection is small, and I would like to end up with around 20-30 max. Only bags I want and Don’t have yet are Goyard miniaudiere, kelly 28 (which I’m in no rush to get), and a chanel gabi (I want the mermaid one so who knows if I’ll ever get it). Otherwise I would like to add a red bag because I have all black and one rose gold. I just am unsure yet which.
Oooh! Rose gold! I want one. Please share a photo!

Reactions: Nyc_chihuahua

Okay - there is definitely one in my future! Yay!! (I think… :giggle:)
Thank you for explaining the 'Fiddly', it's good to know that sort of thing! I'm okay with a bit of fuss (flaps are fussy too but I'm doing okay with the Gucci), it's just that I don't want to be that person standing at the counter doing up all the buttons and bows of my bag while everyone waits behind me.

I’ve thought on and off about getting a Kelly. If it were a $3000 bag, I’d already own one (pink would be my choice). It wouldn’t be my favorite bag but, I think I’d love to wear it.

But, the steep price keeps me away. I’m having a hard time justifying spending twice what my most expensive bag cost for a bag that isn’t an HG and / or wouldn’t be my favorite.

I also struggle because I don’t get to see them in person. I can’t go to the store and try them on. I’ve thought about buying one from Fashionphile since I can return it for a look see but, it doesn’t feel right to do so. I know it technically wouldn’t be but, it feels kind of fraudulent. :hrmm:

So, I’m kinda stuck in “really like the bag but have major hurdles to get over” land.

Anyone else have these issues (or other hurdles) with a bag they really think they could enjoy owning?

———
Edit: I just checked. The pink Kelly’s that I see and love are offered resale for $15-20k...or more. :faint: That would make them at least 3-4 times more expensive than my most expensive bag. I don’t think I can do it. I’m eyeballing an upgraded tennis bracelet that costs about $20k and would prefer the diamonds to the bag. :-s Gosh, I need a Purse Fairy to drop this bag into my life. LOL!
Yes - your concerns are much the same as mine.
I don't live in a major market where I see any H. I know one person who does have several B's but it's not like I can say 'Hey, could i wear that around? Promise I'll be right back!'. And even if I drive to the closest H, the chances of them offering me a K (in the color and leather and size I'd like) is slim to none. I won't be able to try one on and see if it looks like me, fits my stuff, bothers me to open and close, or bonks into everything while I'm wearing it.
And then there's the price. faint-1.gif
Which is why I absolutely know I will go the pre-loved route.
One day my K will come! :giggle:

My answers
• Medium

(Note. I have only 3 SLG’s and am realizing I definitely want more. Perhaps a total of 6 or 7)
Okay, I have more bags than most people on this thread. I think my collection is large. I wish it was smaller but there are still holes I'd like to fill. It is hard to figure out what to get rid of.

I have 50 bags. Of those, 22 are my main, everyday bags. I think I'd be happy if this number was down to 15.

10 are small purses that can be used for special occasions but also are carried on normal days, but I don't reach for them often because of their size. I should reduce this part of my collection. However, none of them would sell for much so I'll probably just keep them.

18 are vintage. Many I use as everyday bags but not as often as my main bags. Some are very collectible and rare so they are only used sparingly. At one time I had over 50 vintage, then reduced it to 10. It has built up since then, but it is better curated.

I would like to add fuchsia and purple bags. I have bags in similar colors but not the exact colors I love. If I see any rare vintage at a good price, I'll add those to my collection if I can.

I have a few vintage collectible SLGs, that are never used as they are still in new condition.
I have only one regular wallet, 3 card cases, 2 coin purses, 1 wristlet. I have many scarves and purse charms.

My answers
• Medium

I have a bag showcase thread that I called ‘small’, but maybe I should have said medium :lol:

- 34 superbrands and maybe a dozen contemporary bags
- medium
- happy; generally I’ll donate more if I get more at this stage
- not sure what I’d do without limitations, I’m generally happy :blush:

My answers
• Medium
• Without limitations, I’d probably have approx. 100 bags. But, I’d have to remember to be thoughtful so, I didn’t end up with bags that caught my fancy yet weren’t right for me. So, I’d still be a member of this thread. [emoji38]

• 20 bags, but that's not including totes or SLGs
• medium compared to the general tPF population, large compared to the average woman haha
• I am content right now, so probably I will start doing one bag in, one bag out at this pt
• If I had no limitations at all, I'd own 366 bags, one for every day of the year, including a leap year!

Count me in! 2018 was a year of overspending. 2019 is about getting my feet back on the ground, remembering that the thrill of the handbag chase can seriously interfere with other, larger goals in life, and being less attached to stuff in general.
I really identify with this! I'm trying for 2019 to be a no buy--likely, low buy year for me. I think I need to deal with the why I'm buying and get back to the basics.

My answers
• Medium

- I have 23 bags, not counting Longchamp nylon and a couple of vintage bags I no longer use but won’t part with for sentimental reasons.

- Medium.

- I’m OK with the size of my collection, but do have moments where I realize if I had to do it all over again, or start from scratch, I’d make different choices. Sometimes I wish the number was a little lower (like 15-20) but I also want to add a couple of new everyday-type bags, just for the sake of variety and having something new! :P

If I had no limitations, I still think I wouldn’t really want more than 30-35 bags. I don’t want so many that I start forgetting what I’ve got!