2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Let me be grumpy for one minute.

When I’m selling, I hate offers. People are never reasonable. I’ve gotten 5 offers on 4 different items in just the last two days. Not one of the offers was more than 60% of my asking price. Do people really think sending me a stupid offer is a good use of their time??

I usually never list with an offer option. But eBay now changes listings automatically after a couple of weeks. Then inevitably I get a kooky offer and have to decline and go back in and reset my listing.

Argh. I just hate it!
Huh???? eBay changes your listings? Is that even legal? :amazed: I'm not a lawyer (I don't even play one on TV) but I would think that YOU are the seller, and therefore YOU are the one who determines your listing parameters.

I'm surprised nobody has challenged eBay on this. :rtr:

Be grumpy all you like. eBay sounds like a very toxic place.

I have an anti tarnish jewelry box . You put it in clean and the silver doesn’t tarnish. It made me really enjoy my silver stuff.
That's something I could use... I have a lot of silver jewelry, and I'm constantly polishing it. May I ask where you found it? I've tried tucking those anti-tarnish cloths inside my current jewelry box, but they don't do anything.

• We’ve talked about deal breakers. But what is the ONE thing (not brand) for a handbag that you will NOT have in your closet.

• What is the one bag you truly adore from afar but know isn’t for you.
Great questions!

• I won't have a bucket bag in my collection. I tried one (fortunately, an inexpensive one!) five years ago, when I first began buying handbags, and within a month I realized the design wasn't workable for me. This means the H Picotin is out, which is a shame (such a pretty bag!) but I know it would ultimately just sit in my closet.

• I adore the Chanel Reissue from afar, but it's not for me mostly because of the double flap. If they made it in the old single flap design, I'd try to find one pre-loved. Black, please, with ruthenium hardware! :giggle: I also love Kelly bags... they look SO elegant! But I think in real life I'd find the clasp too fiddly. In my imaginary life, though, I'd love one in navy.

Hi Sparkletastic, you're preempting my pen pic for next week! :lol:;):wave:
I was planning to show some pens with non standard ink colours. Here's my green, purple and turquoise inks for you!
View attachment 4339438

Hi essiedub, I only have one fountain pen. I bought it last summer. I do have a number of pretty rollerball and ballpoint pens. You also caught me holding out. I posted last night about my Visconti Van Gogh, knowing I would post the pic today. :giggle::blush:

Here is a pic from yesterday, submitting this week's bag-scarf-pen pic,
  • Hermes Etain Bolide 31
  • H Jardin de la Maharani
  • Visconti Van Gogh Tortoise Rollerball Pen
View attachment 4339437

Here are the two previous bag-scarf-pen pics from earlier in this thread. :flowers:
View attachment 4339443
View attachment 4339444
Beautiful photos... and you & I are scarf twins on the Jardin de la Maharani! :ghi5:

Reactions: More bags
The pic is of a pretty tote not a wallet. Which one did you just purchase? Do you love the item enough to “break in” the caviar? I knew with my red caviar jumbo that I was avoiding wearing it because of the plasticky caviar. So I eventually had to give in, sell it and buy one in lamb. The caviar tote I just bought isn’t plasticky. But, even if it was a teeny bit, I would wear it enough to soften it pretty quickly.

So, just my two cents on materials. I hope it softens over time do you can love it!
That was so sweet of your DH to do that for you. What a sweetie!!!!

Mr. S is the spender and I’m the saver. We can both be pretty extreme in our approaches so, we balance each other out. Lol! Having very specific wish lists for each other helps. It keeps him from going rogue and me calm because I know he won’t go rogue. Oddly, he doesn’t really like to spend for himself. He will spoil me, the kids, his nieces, etc but we literally got irritated with each other this weekend because he neeeeeeds to buy some
more jeans. He balked at $90 jeans. Makes no sense. But, if I glance at a Dior he’ll surprise me with it. What makes this even more cuckoo? He LOVES it when I buy him nice things. If I had bought him $500 jeans (I assume these exist lol!), he would have been as happy as a clam.

We had talked about love languages before. He likes to give time and gifts. I like to receive time and acts of service - I’m not really a gift person. On the other end, I like to give time and acts of service. He likes to get time and gifts - he wouldn’t care if I ever lifted a finger to do anything except cook. :lol: The book was helpful for us because we irritated the heck out of each other at first. I thought - if he buys me one more doo dad but doesn’t do his flippin’ chores, I am going to stab him in the eye. And, I was busy doing stuff for him when he felt put off because he wanted me to spoil him with things.

I think some of this is cultural. My family is thrifty as heck and works hard. I didn’t get messages that “stuff” mattered - saving, effort and pulling together is what matters. His family is relatively low income (he’s the only one with undergrad or grad degrees). He worked his butt off to be a successful man but, the little guy in him still remembers Christmases and birthdays where they had nothing. So, we try to honor each other’s outlook.
You're too funny and this all sounds so "real life" to me. I love how you care about each other so much to work through these things that can really turn out to be such huge differences and dealbreakers in people's lives if they're not willing to be open-minded and care for the other person above all (or above most).

Harrumph! Well... the Charles et Charlus arrived - and I hate it. What a bummer. The leather seems cheap, it looks cheap, it’s just yucko chucko all the way around.
So I was grumpy - never good because ‘things’ happen. I got a project in my head (tho it had been floating around) and went to the fabric store, and ran a couple errands.
And look what I found! I never in million years would have thought that my eye would have been caught by this - but it is so cute and so cheery - I had to have it.
View attachment 4339527
Made by CoLab in Montreal, on clearance too!

My project was to make a tote bag out of a couple scarves I just didn’t like and felt the chances of selling them was slim to none. So my red Vinci and La Marine a Rames have a new life ahead of them. I’m going to get an organizing thing to put in it to hold its shape better, but overall I’m happy with the results.
View attachment 4339529
Love your new "scarf tote"... what a nifty idea! Clever you! Is the entire tote made out of a single (red) scarf? If so, then what's the black bit down at the bottom??? Or is that something behind (or underneath) the tote?

And your new yellow bag is super cheerful.

But what a shame that the other one was so disappointing. What are you going to do? Can it go back?

Etoupe or etain would be perfect neutrals for year round. I am still looking to add one of those colours to my collection. Yes definitely try on. Also suggest sticking to clemence leather so the bag moulds to your body.
It comes in different leather options too? Wow. I have a lot to learn about H bags!

Okay... off to research clemence leather! :olympics:

Let me be grumpy for one minute.

When I’m selling, I hate offers. People are never reasonable. I’ve gotten 5 offers on 4 different items in just the last two days. Not one of the offers was more than 60% of my asking price. Do people really think sending me a stupid offer is a good use of their time??

I usually never list with an offer option. But eBay now changes listings automatically after a couple of weeks. Then inevitably I get a kooky offer and have to decline and go back in and reset my listing.

Argh. I just hate it!
It actually makes me angry when people submit certain offers, so I understand. One thing that I do is allow the offers function but use the auto-decline below a certain amount. But, I am a curious person so I inevitably check what offers I've received that were auto-declined and boy does it get my blood boiling sometimes!

My goal is to buy less bags because they really are the most expensive thing I buy as part of my wardrobe. I realized that I always love the look of leather jackets but felt that it was too pricey of a garment so I finally splurged on one and making that my treat instead of a bag and hoping to hold out on getting another bag until may
Let me know if that works! I've tried that before too, but somehow it never lasts as long as I think it will :P

That's something I could use... I have a lot of silver jewelry, and I'm constantly polishing it. May I ask where you found it? I've tried tucking those anti-tarnish cloths inside my current jewelry box, but they don't do anything.
It was purchased at qvc and it is Lori Greniers silver safe keeper. Not sure if they have the large one I have any more but it is definitely worth checking.
I also ordered the book you recommended.

I’ve been surfing through thread and forums I never usually look at and getting fun perspective and new info.

This has made me think again about what / why I buy.

Questions for the day:

• We’ve talked about deal breakers. But what is the ONE thing (not brand) for a handbag that you will NOT have in your closet.

• What is the one bag you truly adore from afar but know isn’t for you.
I will probably never have a fanny pack in my closet. I'm not too much about trends since I have a "small" collection and this is an interesting one that I like on others but will probably never feel compelled to buy. Who knows though? Could be something that I find useful one day with kids!

I like the looks of some fur bags, like mink, shearling, and other furs or skins, but they are not practical for my casual lifestyle. It's kind of like buying heels. I love them and they are beautiful, but I will not be using them much for many years to come... So I shouldn't be picking up a pair of Manolo Hangisi's or another pair of his lovely bejeweled shoes.