14-times Olympic gold medal winner Michael Phelps caught with cannabis pipe

It was a dumbass move for a young man who knows he's famous and that people will pay for photos like that. :Push: He's young, and nobody died, so I think he can move on from this incident.

What I don't understand is if he was photographed drinking shots of booze no one would blink an eye. Alcohol is a drug too-- and just because it's legal, doesn't make it any less negative (IMO.) This guy has always come across, to me anyway, as half stoned as it is. There are also rumors about him using adderall for his ADHD which is essentially speed.

I understand that both are drugs... but to me the difference is marajuana is an illegal substance. I guess IMO, illegal drugs are "bad" and the other drugs should be taken wisely?

that's just me though. I guess it's more socially accepted to drink than do drugs even if both are harmful. I wouldn't know about drugs tho, cause I've never done them!

I agree.

I wouldn't call this a substance abuse issue but I would say it was a stupid mistake.

It's just marijuana, but...you'd think that if he was gonna do something like this, he'd at least be discreet about it.

What I don't understand is if he was photographed drinking shots of booze no one would blink an eye. Alcohol is a drug too-- and just because it's legal, doesn't make it any less negative (IMO.) This guy has always come across, to me anyway, as half stoned as it is. There are also rumors about him using adderall for his ADHD which is essentially speed.

ITA with all of the above.

o big deal, so he smoked pot. i really can't believe people are getting their panties in a twist over this.
and if it's the whole 'role model' thing - this is a young guy in his 20s. people should know better than to naively hero worship like that.

what i really want to know is: what's with that tacky as hell blinged out watch he's wearing in the bong picture? are those diamonds? now that is offensive.
i hate men's watches with diamonds.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^
i think pot use is only banned during competition (it's not exactly a performance enhancer). so he'd only be disqualified if he tested positive for it during a competition. unlike other drugs.

i agree about the alcohol. but i'm confused about the final part of your post. um, isn't adderall prescribed to people wih ADHD? and yes, it's essentially speed. for a normal person without ADHD. for someone who has it, it has, paradoxically, the effect of calming them down and making them more focused.

Last edited:
^^^^^
i think pot use is only banned during competition (it's not exactly a performance enhancer). so he'd only be disqualified if he tested positive for it during a competition. unlike other drugs.

i agree about the alcohol. but i'm confused about the final part of your post. um, isn't adderall prescribed to people wih ADHD? and yes, it's essentially speed. for a normal person without ADHD. for someone who has it, it has, paradoxically, the effect of calming them down and making them more focused.

My point is that people scream about illegal drugs when prescription drug overdoses kill more people nowadays than illegal drug ODs... and more people going into rehab for prescription drugs now than anything else. RX drugs are abused and misused, if you ask me.... I don't know Phelps' situation, but being prescribed adderall for ADHD would give someone a significant advantage in competition, IMO.