14-times Olympic gold medal winner Michael Phelps caught with cannabis pipe

I am a mom of competitive swimmers...all the kids on the team idolize this guy and yes it is a disappointment because they see him as a role model and really want to be like him...that being said I know how much of his youth he has given up to train so I understand him wanting to get out and be a "kid" even though he is 24. What I do not understand is why his agent/handlers do not look out for him...they should protect him and it seems like he is completely on his own enjoying his fame and money...where is the manager? Who is looking out for him so these pics do not get posted?
maybe he just wanted to live a little?
i think it's unfair that these guys get turned into heroes for all the kids out there when really they're just young guys like any other that just happen to be very good at what they do. their private lives should be private and if he wants to cut loose and live a little after all those years of training, then let him. yes, he shouldn't have let himself get caught on tape but really, the public (and his sponsors) should stop being so puritanical. also, i'm really sick of the whole 'role model' thing. no one is perfect. perfect heroes don't exist. everyone is human and has weaknesses and imperfections and it really isn't good to raise kids to worship these people either. maybe i'm alone in this but my mother always taught me that celebs and athletes weren't to be idolised - their achievements or artistic output, yes. but to always remember that they are persons just like any other and that just because i like what someone does, doesn't mean i'll like the actual person.
if people remembered to tell that to their kids instead of trying to keep them in a cotton-padded bubble, maybe they wouldn't have to get all outraged every time miley cyrus turns out not to be the perfect virginal princess or pee-wee herman gets caught spanking the monkey in a movie theatre.

I don't think it is a surprise that a 23 year old who is in the public eye "forgets" that he is under scrutiny 24/7. It is a shame that many youngsters who hold him in such high esteem will be disapointed, but seriously, is there anyone who can be put on such a pedestal and manage to stay absolutely pristine forever? I think not.

I hope he learns his lesson and realizes that he cannot "indulge" in such activities without them becoming news. But...I really think it's not all that big a deal - equating this with drug addiction or alcoholism is making far too big an assumption - and I don't believe that one need go overboard in order to use this as a teaching moment for their children.

I know what I am talking about - I went to college in 1969 - AND I have a son who had to be put in an outpatient rehab program when he was 18. He had a problem and came to me and his father about it - he has been clean for 13 years. That's what I mean when I say I know what I am talking about. :whistle:

maybe he just wanted to live a little?
i think it's unfair that these guys get turned into heroes for all the kids out there when really they're just young guys like any other that just happen to be very good at what they do. their private lives should be private and if he wants to cut loose and live a little after all those years of training, then let him. yes, he shouldn't have let himself get caught on tape but really, the public (and his sponsors) should stop being so puritanical. also, i'm really sick of the whole 'role model' thing. no one is perfect. perfect heroes don't exist. everyone is human and has weaknesses and imperfections and it really isn't good to raise kids to worship these people either. maybe i'm alone in this but my mother always taught me that celebs and athletes weren't to be idolised - their achievements or artistic output, yes. but to always remember that they are persons just like any other and that just because i like what someone does, doesn't mean i'll like the actual person.
if people remembered to tell that to their kids instead of trying to keep them in a cotton-padded bubble, maybe they wouldn't have to get all outraged every time miley cyrus turns out not to be the perfect virginal princess or pee-wee herman gets caught spanking the monkey in a movie theatre.

OMG thank you. The best role models are HUMAN and human's make mistakes and sometimes have poor judgment. How the heck MP can even keep a level head is beyond me... his life has not been his own, he's allowed to be NORMAL and those are the best role models.

Heck our PRESIDENT smoked pot and admits it (unlike *******'s I didn't inhale crap - and I liked ******* - not a political discussion, just showing how our LEADER is HUMAN).

We shouldn't idolize perfection, because it's unattainable. It's much healthier to view a person as a WHOLE person and then his 'worshipers' can decide for themselves what they want to emulate and what they don't.

Your comments are all well taken but to the specific point of Phelps...when you take money for endorsements you are putting yourself in a position to be a role model. LIsten I could care less if he shoots heroin..my point is that he should have smart people around him guiding his post Olympic career...he is not just your average Joe walking into a party...there are now cameras everywhere and he is bound to get caught...that is why all the hollywood crowd has managers that watch out for these kinds of things. As far as being a role model to young swimmers..of course he is. How do you tell an eight year old that his hero was caught smoking pot? Not easy and that is not putting a young kid in a bubble...they can not possibly process it on an adult level.

And I think the opposite. I'm GLAD he got caught being a normal 20 something guy. Just because he is some swimming phenomenon, he's human. and I will stand by my statement that idolizing a 'perfect person' is harmful. I think it is much better for a child or a young adult to see an adult make a mistake and learn about the ramifications from such mistakes than to yes, walk around in a bubble" thinking to him/herself, "Wow, that Mike Phelps is just like the perfect person... why can't I be so perfect."

Now, I do think it's important that he gets called out for it and gets the same 'treatment' as an average Joe would, so if he got caught by police, gets the fine and so on, but he earned those endorsements for his athletic fete, and shouldn't lose them, but if he does, again, it's lessons learned for him and for his worshipers - you break the law, you suffer the consequences.

It's a great teaching moment to an 8 year old and much, much more valuable IMO than having him think perfection is attainable. It sets him up for failure.

My point is that people scream about illegal drugs when prescription drug overdoses kill more people nowadays than illegal drug ODs... and more people going into rehab for prescription drugs now than anything else. RX drugs are abused and misused, if you ask me.... I don't know Phelps' situation, but being prescribed adderall for ADHD would give someone a significant advantage in competition, IMO.

I forget, but Adderall may be on the banned list of substances for athletes. I don't remember the specific rules, but every single medication you take as a competitive athlete, especially in college or Pro, has to be okayed by the team Dr. I could not take certain Rx's even when it was what I needed.

Phelps has NEVER failed a drug test in his life. Never. That means he never had alcohol in his system when he was under 21 and never any other banned substance.

To be caught smoking out of a bong is really unfortunate. A good friend of his may have leaked/sold this picture. He always has to watch his back. But being the level athlete he is will have him loose much of his 'teen' years. The years where many kids try things, drink early, experiment, etc. Not saying it is ok what he did, but saying that he has never really had a chance to do ANYTHING other than swim and follow the pro-rules.

Well if you choose to tell an eight year old about pot and all that and think they are old enough to process that then great...I just think it is a little young and I would not want to justify a swimmers or anyone's stupid behavior to a kid...they have plenty of time for "life lessons". Young swimmers idolize his swimming, his medals, his determination in the pool...not putting a nobody on a pedestal as when people idolize actors...different when it is a decorated athlete esp. in a sport that is so anti-drug. Just too bad for the kids who are inspired by his athletic talents...also too bad if they end up thinking it is okay to smoke pot because Phelps does and look what he can do...it is unfortunate, that's all.

Why can't kids strive to be better than eventually smoking pot? If they don't live up to it then fine, they're human and mistakes are made, but can't you teach them to do better than that? Tons of people go through life without smoking pot. I don't understand teaching kids to strive toward the level of the lowest common denominator. Why? So they won't be disappointed in themselves someday? We all do things that aren't good for us. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

In terms of the his business deals, this is bad,...however, a very effective PR person can handle this and it will be forgotten quite easily. He may lose an endorsement or two, but...it depends on how he handles the situation.

Personally, I think he'll be fine.

I forget, but Adderall may be on the banned list of substances for athletes. I don't remember the specific rules, but every single medication you take as a competitive athlete, especially in college or Pro, has to be okayed by the team Dr. I could not take certain Rx's even when it was what I needed.

Phelps has NEVER failed a drug test in his life. Never. That means he never had alcohol in his system when he was under 21 and never any other banned substance.

I just looked and ADHD drugs are banned and Michael Phelps has not been on them since he was 11, when he began seriously swimming. It's also interesting that we took our son after ADHD drugs during summer when he was swimming on a team. He's a HORRIBLE swimmer (like worst on the team) but what it did for him physically and for his ADHD was WONDERFUL. Swimming an hour in the morning helped him stay focus for the day. I WISH we could have him swim in the morning during the school year, but his bus picks him up for school at 6:50 am and classes start at 7:30... no time to fit in swimming...

Here's the article that intrigued me: http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-last-normal-child/200808/the-swimming-cure-adhd

^^berry...do you have the wii console? my cousin with adhd has it and uses the wii fit. it has REALLY helped him with coordination and concentration issues, especially the yoga. and its fun for him!