Canvas Mono does it look luxurious????

shopaholiccat -

The canvas is exactly what the name would suggest . . . canvas. Specifically, it's Egyptian linen which has had designs (either the monogram or damier) hand rolled onto it, after which point it is double laminated with a vinyl like substance and made into bags. The same is true of the multicolore canvas, although the monogram is screen-printed on, not hand applied, over the laminate.

Durable and chic so you can dress up or down. Backpacks are too rauchy bad with heels, skirks and dresses. The canvas is a bag that if you set down you do not have to worry about it unlike the guccissima leather which scuffs with normal usage :hysteric: :crybaby: . Of course I want the the best of both worlds high fashion and durability that is why I went with LV.Great choice I must say. The Daimer would have been even more durable for fall/winter no vachette issues. I would not be able to handle a bag with tonnes of vachette.

Did Audrey Hepburn carry a speedy back in the day for real??? Would love to see a pic of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your 2cents and yes LV is tres chic indeed!!!!!!!

:lol: I was just being silly about the back pack, but really, if it was only for durability who would spend this kind of money on Mono Canvas, you could buy a very durable Longchamp bag or something.....My point is that it has a following and a reputation and a Luxury about it period! Is mono canvas my favorite? NO! Do I own some? YES! and I love the pieces I own, right now though I do tend to prefer epi, vernis, and damier. I would never say anything to deteriorate the status of regular mono canvas though, I think all LV is lovely, chic, and luxurious in one way or another...

Audrey Hepburn was very chic, but *in my opinion* a Monogram Speedy isn't really.
I bought the bag w/o giving teh material much thought. I decided I wanted an LV adn it was right aroud the time the BH came out and it was and still is really the only style that fits my needs. I didn't buy it because it's chic, I bought it because it's a high quality item and it's very durable.
I'm actually kind of 'over it' now, I thought about selling it because after owning it I realized I'm not a true LV fan, but it's practicality has earned it a home in my closet. I can carry it anywhere, anytime and not worry about protecting it.
Hence my "it's durable, not chic" stance ;)

I agree and disagree with this, I like mono canvas because it is durable but at the same time classic and chic. If all you're gettin out of this is durability why not just buy a jansport back pack or something:confused1: :upsidedown: . Come on, there has to be some more appeal to it than durability, lets be real here...... It's certainly not as luxurious as other materials but it's def. a hardy investment, you get your money's worth and it really is timeless. IMO something doesn't have to be overly flashy or ornate to be chic. How can you say looking at a picture of Audrey Hepburn carrying a speedy back in the day is not a little bit chic.....

Ooh I agree. I do love the look of a brand new Mono bag..they even SMELL good. I do think there's an air of luxury about any LV bag, no matter what line it's from.
And I recently saw that picture of Audrey with the Speedy again a few days ago..I feel like enlarging it and making a poster of it, I love it so much! :love:

Oh and that's IMO because my mom always used to carry LV ever since I was little, even before anyone was able to point out that it was a designer bag at all. So I think as long as it's authentic, there will always be an aura of luxury about anything in the monogram canvas. It is, after all, one of their original patterns (after the damier, of course.)

sorry I kind of brought this back up out of the dead . . . I was on a cruise and didn't notice it had sort of died. . . I was going through the threads I had posted to recently now that I'm home, I always love to read what happens and how the conversation evolves.

I agree that $800 for canvas is considered luxurious, but she asked if we think it looks luxurious. I personally don't think it does, I feel that it obviously IS, but I don't think it looks posh.

I agree and disagree with this, I like mono canvas because it is durable but at the same time classic and chic. If all you're gettin out of this is durability why not just buy a jansport back pack or something:confused1: :upsidedown: . Come on, there has to be some more appeal to it than durability, lets be real here...... It's certainly not as luxurious as other materials but it's def. a hardy investment, you get your money's worth and it really is timeless. IMO something doesn't have to be overly flashy or ornate to be chic. How can you say looking at a picture of Audrey Hepburn carrying a speedy back in the day is not a little bit chic.....
I completely agree :idea: !

It's certainly not as luxurious as other materials but it's def. a hardy investment, you get your money's worth and it really is timeless. IMO something doesn't have to be overly flashy or ornate to be chic.

ITA w/ that part!:yes:

Yeah. I still think it looks a bit luxurious (mono canvas in general, not just the speedy). IMO, you can tell just by looking at it that it's well made etc. Plus, they get even more gorgeous over time.

I do think other companies need to get their own ideas though. But like I read somewhere, all the cheaper bags that you see, no matter where they're sold or who they're by were modeled after the high end/designer bags in some way. But it WOULD be nice if the cheaper companies would come out with pieces that are original to their own company, so they have a signature bag/pattern/design as well.

shopaholiccat -

The canvas is exactly what the name would suggest . . . canvas. Specifically, it's Egyptian linen which has had designs (either the monogram or damier) hand rolled onto it, after which point it is double laminated with a vinyl like substance and made into bags. The same is true of the multicolore canvas, although the monogram is screen-printed on, not hand applied, over the laminate.

thanks alot, stupid me always thought that part was leather too..lol :sweatdrop:

Yeah. I still think it looks a bit luxurious (mono canvas in general, not just the speedy). IMO, you can tell just by looking at it that it's well made etc. Plus, they get even more gorgeous over time.

I do think other companies need to get their own ideas though. But like I read somewhere, all the cheaper bags that you see, no matter where they're sold or who they're by were modeled after the high end/designer bags in some way. But it WOULD be nice if the cheaper companies would come out with pieces that are original to their own company, so they have a signature bag/pattern/design as well.

Yeah, and I think LV's logo is most original and unusual because of the pattern involved, it's not like they just slap LV's everywhere. There will always be a place in my heart for mono canvas, right now I'm focusing more on vernis though, I love that the logo is there but you don't see if from a mile away!

Oh I know..I love how you see the bold color before the logos on those. And the leather smell of the vernis..I love it!
Also, I kind of think it's neat how so many of today's lines have all evolved around the monogram canvas (i.e. denim, multicolore, vernis, the murakami designs, etc.)

Speaking of vernis also, I can't wait to see what colors are coming for Spring, though I read on here that one would be red. I hope that's not the only color since there have already been 2 other reds..sigh. I want black and another purple.