At what age should you be carrying a kelly?

I am new here and only have one Hermes bag, a Kelly. I have had it for over five years but rarely use it. I bought it just before my second child was born. However, I've never regretted having it. Every time I pull it out, I am struck by its beauty and it still makes me happy. I don't think it's a question of age at all. If you love something, you will always appreciate it and find a way to wear it that fits your life.
Now that I have discovered this forum, I feel inspired to use my Kelly more. I feel like I've neglected her a bit...

here are some pics of selma blair. she's not a teenager or anything - i think she's 30 or 31, but still, she wears her kelly with some youthfulness. a kelly always works.

Attachments

• selma + kelly.jpg
    selma + kelly.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 368
  • selma +kelly 2.jpg
    selma +kelly 2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 368
  • selma with her kelly.jpg
    selma with her kelly.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 385
HiHeels, thanks for the pictures. I really love how everyone is so helpful to each other here.
I'd love suggestions for different ways to wear my Kelly. Mine is a 32, rigide, gold courchevel w/ gold HW, white outside stitches. I bought it just before courchevel was discontinued.
Usually I wear it w/ jeans, a fitted white T, sometimes a black trench. I'm in my early 40's, 5' 2 1/2" (that half inch is very important!), 110 lbs. The bag doesn't feel too big on me when I hand-carry it, which is my favorite way. On my arm sometimes it feels a little stiff. I never use the strap.
I've never carried it with a dress before. But now the pictures inspire me!
I rarely use it at night. It feels a little big for that. I'd love a JPG Kelly or maybe even Kelly longue for evening (am I too short for that one? I saw an orange one in NY last week and it looked so long). Before I bought my Kelly, I turned down a small croc Kelly because I thought it was too expensive and I'd never use it. I kick myself everyday now, thinking of that bag.

I'd wear the "young" bags while I still can. On the other hand, it _is_ a Hermes -- if you're making an investment for the long haul, go for the Kelly.

Princess Grace was 27 when she started carrying her Kelly so you are the perfect age.

I think that if you like the bag, will use the bag and you can afford the bag go for it. I am 36 and just got my Kelly this year but I would have purchased one earlier if I had the funds. I use my Kelly frequently and I wear it with everything from suits and jeans. I would carry it everyday if I wasn't afraid of messing it up. In my opinion there is a Kelly that will suit every lady's lifestyle.

Reactions: LVChanelLISA
dianagrace i love posts like this!
tamarind sounds like you're doing fine in the fashion dept. very safe, but totally fine. don't know your wardrobe, so hard to give ideas. since yours is rigide and gold, it could definitely work at night to a variety of venues if your look can carry it off. not for black tie, but anything along the lines of what blair is wearing is appropriate and definitely still an evening look.

I think it depends on what you're wearing. The Birkin is obviously a more casual bag compared to the Kelly. If you are dressed casually most of the time and that's when you want to carry your Hermes bag, then you should get the Birkin. The Kelly bag can be quite elegant especially in the box leather and would look best when you're dressed smartly, like a suit or going out to a nice restaurant. That's what I think....

My Kelly's seem to always be hanging on my arm no matter what I happen to throw on when I roll out of bed in the morning. Today though I was REALLY dressed down.....so I grabbed the Bolide and away I went in Puma's, jeans that are a size too big and a t-shirt (and not a starched one). I think if you are a jeans girl or a dress girl....wear heels or boots.....a Kelly will always work. Wear it in confidence and you will always look great!

HiHeels, thanks for the pictures. I really love how everyone is so helpful to each other here.
I'd love suggestions for different ways to wear my Kelly. Mine is a 32, rigide, gold courchevel w/ gold HW, white outside stitches. I bought it just before courchevel was discontinued.

We have twins!

The color and hardware really makes a difference on the look and feel of a bag. If you are concern that the style of the kelly is too mature, a bright and fun color with pall. hardware will make the bag less "conservative".

I'll have to try the evening look. I like what Blair did with it (heeled boots).

Venezia, do you use yours much?

One reason I used it so rarely in the past was that I had small kids and for a while was also working. Sometimes I'd take it to work (in those days, I wore a lot of black pantsuits) and lock it in a drawer in my office all day. When I was with my kids I found it a little cumbersome. One time my son threw up on my LV Alma at the pediatrician's. Thank goodness that wasn't my Kelly day. (I was able to wash the Alma with no problem. The black Epi leather was virtually indestructible.)

Another reason was probably that I didn't know many people who loved and appreciated Hermes. Definitely not my husband, who is actually French.

Terrific thread! I too was a bit worried that the Kelly might be too formal for me, but I was *really* inspired by photos I found on this forum, and now it's at the top of my wishlist.

Shopmom, I think your photos brought me over to the dark side. Fabulous look! I love casual chic -- Kelly and jeans. Also inspired by Kate Moss and her 28cm (?) croc Kelly. Gorgeous!

Attachments

• kate moss kelly.jpg
    kate moss kelly.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 371